DH World Cup thread

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
As much as I respect his career achievements to date it is plain to see that he is not as competitive in today's DH scene as he has been. Not sure this was his best move after being a Santa Cruz racer for so long he might have been better off to just bow out gracefully instead of moving on to another brand that won't necessarily make him more competitive. Time will tell of course. But father time might win out on this.

Marshall Willanholly

Subscriber
Oct 24, 2022
Oregon
As much as I respect his career achievements to date it is plain to see that he is not as competitive in today's DH scene as he has been. Not sure this was his best move after being a Santa Cruz racer for so long he might have been better off to just bow out gracefully instead of moving on to another brand that won't necessarily make him more competitive. Time will tell of course. But father time might win out on this.
So the guy who was the 2021 world champion, finished 10th in the overall standings in 2022, and finished 2nd at the 4th round of the World Cup series in 2023 isn’t “competitive in today’s DH scene?”

Interesting.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Why's that Surfy? Far as I can see, the only rider they have pullling up trees is Gracey Hemstreet. You think they're a bit underpowered for GM maybe? Not enough purple?

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Why's that Surfy? Far as I can see, the only rider they have pullling up trees is Gracey Hemstreet. You think they're a bit underpowered for GM maybe? Not enough purple?
I've had it suggested that he might be going there in a management/coach style of role?
I can't see him riding the Norco, coming from that amount of years on a V10 and to be successful, very different bikes and suspension set up's.

** Edit **
And yes, they need more purple.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
The coach thing makes sense, given Greg's age. Peaty's done a great job at SC on that side & Fabien Barel at Canyon too off the top of my head.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Has anyone heard, rumours or otherwise, who, what, where can we watch the downhill racing next year seeing as my subscription to GCN has been scrapped. Give it back to Redbull I say and bring back Rob Warner pleassssseeee
I heard everything will be pointed towards Discovery +

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I heard everything will be pointed towards Discovery +
Kind of what I am anticipating here in the U.S.. There is a trial period available with $4.99/mo after or $8.99/mo without advertisement. Because I follow CX in the winter and have been using a VPN and GCN+ for that I am going to play that until the end and then do the lesser amount trial period. The Disco+ site I visited however is more about dumb TV type drama shows with no mention of sporting events that I could see so still not sure of what is going to provide coverage......

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
I was thinking the other day , will GCN+ disappear ? Will previous subscribers be able to watch replays of the 2023 races ?
I was able to log in just now , so decided to rewatch Loudenville final. Great , I thought !
The video quality would be lucky to be 360P and yes , I let it run for a few minutes waiting for the quality to "pop" in. Just the icing on the giant turd cake that has been this years broadcast takeover I guess. More to come in 2024 no doubt ! :ROFLMAO:

GCN replay.jpg

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Fantastic to see Anlww Kronbg top of the leader board.

Isn't Play Sports Network up for sale? Who knows how that will spin out & what will be left if a new owner picks it up.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Kind of what I am anticipating here in the U.S.. There is a trial period available with $4.99/mo after or $8.99/mo without advertisement. Because I follow CX in the winter and have been using a VPN and GCN+ for that I am going to play that until the end and then do the lesser amount trial period. The Disco+ site I visited however is more about dumb TV type drama shows with no mention of sporting events that I could see so still not sure of what is going to provide coverage......
Ah yes, you need to use the sub menu's to get to stuff that doesn't make you dumber.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina

We've had a discovery+ subscription for a while and it's not on the American one. I keep meaning to try a VPN and see if that will work.

The subscription is worth the money just for Mythbusters!

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Got an end of subscription notice from GCN+ today and it mentions a subscription service called U.S. Max that is going to be providing coverage for bicycle related sports starting in February.

Doesn't look like any sort of a deal at $10/mo for the Max and another $10 for the sports service which is how I read it and commercials to boot.....I hate commercials.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Well just watched my last CX races on GCN+ and as the Xmas season is prime time for CX it is time to make my decision on what platform is best going to fit my needs? The MAX @ $20/mo. is not an option for something that has commercials. The other option seems to be Disco+ and upon researching that just now via my Amazon Prime membership it is available for a 7day free trial and $4.99/mo thereafter. Still has commercials but as far as I can tell there are no commercial free subscriptions going forward? Will still need a VPN but I have that already in place for now so I will try the free sub next race and see how it works for me? It will also encompass the other WC disciplines I think but more research needed.

Edit 12/23: Well I never could resign to having to watch cycling with commercial interruptions. I managed to find a youtube channel called cyclocrosslive and it works just fine for my needs. They even stream real time but that is usually too early in the a.m. for me. Only sound is of the venue featuring some music and crowd noise which is ok with me. Still get the updates on positions and timing.

Hopefully there will be a DHLive channel going forward and I am willing to bet there will be. I am going to cancel my VPN also because I have no other need for it so will even be saving money!

Last edited:

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
We did slalom on snow events on mtb's over 30yrs ago and it never went any further because it was a bunch of crap then as I predict it will be this round?

However Fabio Wilmers run down the Streif he posted is pretty epic.....

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I suppose in hindsight, people will say it's obvious he's wired different but I never thought about it, just always thought he was in that cohort of great fun nutters I spent my youth getting into dodgy scrapes with.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I suppose in hindsight, people will say it's obvious he's wired different but I never thought about it, just always thought he was in that cohort of great fun nutters I spent my youth getting into dodgy scrapes with.

I didn’t have a clue. He comes across on camera as being loud, extremely confident, extrovert. My experience with autism is that it is usually completely the opposite

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Same, there's a couple of kids in my wider family with it. They call it awsometism. One is on the mild end of things but the other lad is only two & emerging as quite severe, not speaking, stimming etc. and likely to become a major challenge in the family as mum & dad age.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Same, there's a couple of kids in my wider family with it. They call it awsometism. One is on the mild end of things but the other lad is only two & emerging as quite severe, not speaking, stimming etc. and likely to become a major challenge in the family as mum & dad age.

I have a nephew who is 20 and at University studying Computer Science (high A* achiever in A levels) and has severe autism. He doesn’t speak except the absolute bare minimum, has zero friends, incredibly difficult growing up for himself and family. I recognised many traits in him that made me think about my own slightly ‘eccentric’ behaviours and have carried out many online tests, just as Rob mentioned he did in the podcast. All online tests suggest there is a high probability, i.e.

IMG_0940.jpeg

IMG_0939.jpeg

However, as these online tests are published by companies that charge over £2k for actual diagnosis, I am sceptical of how accurate they are, and are they just designed to lure you in to paying their fees. I’m not about to pay £2500 for a test, I could buy another emtb for that 😆

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I mean us lot who are happy to talk about the finer points of derailleurs for hours on end should justifiably be given to a bit of introspection, right?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles