• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Derestricting Bosch performance line CX Race

Mate

Jan 4, 2021
Amsterdam
Does anyone already have a derestricting Bosch perfomance CX Race motor? I am curious about the possibilities...

Uktonyb77

Feb 19, 2023
Uk
Have mine derestricted for over 1000 miles now with no probs whatsoever. I never allow the flow app to connect to the bike at all just out of paranoia of something being detected by the Bosch software. Make sure you adjust the dynamic of the race mode to +4 before doing the derestriction otherwise race mode feels no better than turbo mode when your at the 20mph + range. I wasn’t brave enough to change any settings whilst the bike had a chip fitted so removed the chip , connected flow app , adjusted dynamics then re fitted chip. Would be easier to do before you ever fitted a chip in the first place lol. I’ve ridden with the megaboro solution and had 0 issues at all. Have friend on the Orbea wild with the race motor and he is running the Peartune chip for about 700 miles without issue. Just ensure whatever you fit that you use the dielectric grease on the terminals where they enter the motor and also at your joining/bypass point. Worth the few £‘ss it costs of Amazon just to weatherproof things.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Does anyone already have a derestricting Bosch perfomance CX Race motor? I am curious about the possibilities...
If you have the rotor magnet speed sensor, there are many options. This one is reasonably priced with no display needed and no startup or countdown procedures.
SpeedFun Furious Evo tuning ebike Bosch Smart System CX.

If you have a rim magnet speed sensor, there are only 2 options that I’m aware of, the Megabobra DIY unit and the e plus unit, Bosch Smart System - Rim Magnet

1690034619622.jpeg

Last edited:

Simmo3801

Mar 26, 2022
Midlothian
If you have the rotor magnet speed sensor, there are many options. This is one of easiest to install and most reasonably priced units with no display needed and no startup or countdown procedures. SpeedFun Furious Evo tuning ebike Bosch Smart System CX.
If you have a rim magnet speed sensor, there are only 2 options that I’m aware of, the Megabobra DIY unit and the e plus unit, Bosch Smart System - Rim Magnet View attachment 120831
How easy are they to fit. I have no electrical or mechanical experience.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I don’t use a chip or speedbox on my Rail. Turbo mode is even too much sometimes on our mountain. I’ve only known of one being used with a Bfang motor and he was DOA at the trail entrance. I tried to help but something weird happened to his motor. I’m sure the kits are much better now.

Anyways, took my Rail into the LBS (Trek) a few weeks ago for a data upgrade and get that stupid wrench symbol removed from my Kiox display. Just before the mechanic plugged my bike into the computer he asked; “Do you have a chip or speed-box that needs to be disconnected first?”.

I was surprised, but appreciated the heads-up.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Anyone in the USA using the Eplus rim/stem magnet unit? It appears to function the same as the megabobra system, with the same looking components…..at a much higher price!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022
Netherlands
Have mine derestricted for over 1000 miles now with no probs whatsoever. I never allow the flow app to connect to the bike at all just out of paranoia of something being detected by the Bosch software. Make sure you adjust the dynamic of the race mode to +4 before doing the derestriction otherwise race mode feels no better than turbo mode when your at the 20mph + range. I wasn’t brave enough to change any settings whilst the bike had a chip fitted so removed the chip , connected flow app , adjusted dynamics then re fitted chip. Would be easier to do before you ever fitted a chip in the first place lol. I’ve ridden with the megaboro solution and had 0 issues at all. Have friend on the Orbea wild with the race motor and he is running the Peartune chip for about 700 miles without issue. Just ensure whatever you fit that you use the dielectric grease on the terminals where they enter the motor and also at your joining/bypass point. Worth the few £‘ss it costs of Amazon just to weatherproof things.

I wasn't planning on installing the Flow app at all until I read this.

So basically I have to
1) Install Bosch Flow app and connect the bike
2) Change settings for Race Mode and exit app
3) Install the chip
4) Go ride without ever touching the Flow app?

Is that correct? Or do I need to uninstall the Flow app after changing the settings?

I am nervous that the app will connect unintentionally?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles