Dengfu E10 - The CHEEB V1.0 - Discussion

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I've been thinking about the "light weight" enduro rather than going bigger more powerful
Mmmm we are finding as a group that yes, we all have ambitions of riding less powered bikes, but as soon as we all ride full on 700W + bikes, up creeps the speed and the steepness of terrain to the point, that lessor power just doesn't seem to satisfy the itch. Certainly we seem to be pushing into that 500 - 600 Watts as our default settings for most of what we do. As soon as we drop below that, the analogue bikes seem to be used more.

I've only ever owned one 1200W (modified BBS02) in that "powerful" category and found it a real hoot, totally impractical battery wise, totally useless for what I used it on, ended up getting back on my "proper" Enduro bike for the faster longer rides and promptly dropped back to a 500W Ebike where the frame, brakes and suspension could handle the extra speeds and forces for the local single track.

Sorry guys its horses for courses, you need a fleet to get the best of all worlds.

Spanner Monkey

Jul 27, 2020
Bournemouth
Im following this with great interest, kudos to you for taking on this project and showing what can be achieved with a little research and ingenuity. Cant wait to see the ride review, and Im hoping to see a lot more about this build very soon.
One question though Rob, You don't seem to mention a charger at all, did this come with the bike as a package deal or is it something you had to buy separately?

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Think I’m going to do this, I have emailed Tony at Dangfu for costs. I have also got in touch with a mate who lives in Shanghai to see if it maybe a bit cheaper to source within China, then ship to the Uk.
so did the kit arrive as different consignments on different dates? i.e motor and battery first, then frame on a different date?
I wonder if we could get a discount for a group buy?

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
You can only ask.
But someone would have to be willing to run the buy and ship the parts out to everyone.
A friend of mine is extremely interested and looking to order soon.

Last edited:

memtb

Jan 2, 2021
england
Well done Rob. Have been watching the Youtube channel for a while now. I like this latest project of yours and am happy to see it play out as
you will give an honest appraisal of the bike in actual use.
At the end of the day they are just copying not developing from scratch so of course its cheaper.
Do they even test it offroad or just go for a spin around the car park?
Cant see why anyone would jump in before knowing it capability. Who drops 2k odd on the unknown? Thats your job lol.
There is more to these things than it looks the same as a YT.
The decathalon Emtb you had was actually the bargain of the decade and they stopped selling it sadly.
Hope decathalon do a similar priced and spec replacement.
Meantime I look forward to seeing this beast in action.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
I can say this...after seeing Rob's build, if my Luna X1 frame ever breaks, I am gonna just order this Dengfu frame and build it up, as I already have the parts, haha. I just Ordered BESST programming device for my M600 too as I am going to try some (what appears to be) better firmware. :)

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
I did search for Dengfu frame testing. For what it’s worth, they do have some published ISO tests for some frames.

Dengfu say “They must pass the EN and ISO test standard in our test department to satisfy the need in your market.”

road frame

Mtb frame

whilst I cannot see test for the E10 frame, everything I see / read about Dengfu points to them being one of the better Chinese manufacturers.

Although all of this info is of course not validated by myself, just what I’ve found online.

ps - I have also seen catastrophic failure on high end commercial ebikes from big brands.
Best way to test your frame is to send you testing it in real condition. I suggest you to register for the Redbull Rampage 2021. I'm sure every members here will give you some money in a fundraising operation in order to send you there and show the world how the Dengfu frame is rock solid. ;)

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
Best way to test your frame is to send you testing it in real condition. I suggest you to register for the Redbull Rampage 2021. I'm sure every members here will give you some money in a fundraising operation in order to send you there and show the world how the Dengfu frame is rock solid. ;)
1609695657015.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I suggest you to register for the Redbull Rampage 2021. I'm sure every members here will give you some money in a fundraising operation in order to send you there and show the world how the Dengfu frame is rock solid. ;)
Maybe the Patreon's can get together to raise a much larger fund to bring back the various remaining parts of Rob by plane, courier, refrigerated transport ? I'm not saying he or his cheeb-fu won't be ready, but have you seen him after a redbull !

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
There's the accent issue. I believe he will only accept if they agree to change the name to Redbull Wampage 2021 ?

Marmite Rampage 2021.

Dear English fellows, when I say Marmite, it's really in a friendly way (I used to live in London). And you can of course say to me that I'm a frog eater (well, I never eat a frog to be honest). No offense!

Last edited:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Think I’m going to do this, I have emailed Tony at Dangfu for costs. I have also got in touch with a mate who lives in Shanghai to see if it maybe a bit cheaper to source within China, then ship to the Uk.
so did the kit arrive as different consignments on different dates? i.e motor and battery first, then frame on a different date?
I wonder if we could get a discount for a group buy?

I will be surprised if it`s cheaper to buy , then ship .
Chinese companies generally get free mail / shipping from the Chinese Government .

Lucky Pete

Nov 24, 2020
Hakuba Japan
2 coffess, 6 tim tams and 17 pages later :) Love this thread and this looks like a great option to the 6 month waits for a Frey. Just chasing up part prices here in Japan :) Thanks Rob and all that have contributed so far.

Last edited:

pragrick

Oct 14, 2020
Prague
There are a couple of things about the M600 compared to the M500.

The M600 runs all metal gears - so stronger, they had to do this because of the extra power. It also means it's louder than the M500. I think Luna ? make an alternative plastic gear for the M600 to make it quieter, no idea how this would affect reliability though.

The M600 is slightly heavier, so if you're trying to keep the weight down, it might not be the right choice for you.

The M600 is slightly wider (though uses the same mounting holes), I'm not sure if this also corresponds to a wider Q-factor which might be relevant for some riders. @Animalector ???

The M600, being more powerful, will use the battery quicker (if you use the power, but then if you never do, you might as well have the M500).

The M600, being more powerful, doesn't comply as a Pedalec, so in many places it would require insurance, registration plate, licence ? - depending on where you are.

I don't want an engine louder than the Bosch, that is my limit. Battery life is also important. If it is not louder than Bosch and not more than 15% additional drag on the battery life, then the M600 would be a better choice for me. If not, the M500 might be the better bet. It will be good to see what Rob shows about the real world performance

Spanner Monkey

Jul 27, 2020
Bournemouth
Are spares available for this frame, Im talking about things like the pivot bolts and more importantly the mech hanger unless it uses a generic widely available one. I think if I were to order a frame I would also order a spare of each plus a couple of mech hangers. Small cheap items but also things that can put your pride and joy out of action if they break.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
I spent a bit of time Chatting with Tony and unfortunately for me and my countrymen, this frame is not available for import to the USA.
Defang has an exclusive distributorship with an unnamed Company here in the US. I am making assumptions that this will be the frame for the upcoming Luna X-2 (or what ever replaces the x-1).

Super excited to see how this Bike turns out. If someone outside the US wants to order 2 and ship me one let me know.

Well to be Honest, if Luna does make this the X2, which they most likely are, you should be able to get one at a decent price. I love my X1 and it's been stellar....Luna has been good about parts as well.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I must be honest, Having watched Luna Cycles develop over the years they are not very open to sharing. They very much like to monopolise the diy Ebike market by getting exclusive rights on products in the U.S. They tried this with Sur-Ron light bee bikes. Before anyone knew it you couldn't get them direct from the Chinese factory, and when I went direct to Luna they said they would not send to the U.K.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
You can always use a parcel forwarding company. I had to do this on a Germany exclusive toy (playmobil crane) which they refused to ship to the UK had it sent to a parcel forwarding company and on too me for a small fee.

You can also change declared value/content too if that's your thing.. I mean who doesn't want their old carbon frame back..

Danny325is

Jan 3, 2021
NJ, USA
You can always use a parcel forwarding company. I had to do this on a Germany exclusive toy (playmobil crane) which they refused to ship to the UK had it sent to a parcel forwarding company and on too me for a small fee.

You can also change declared value/content too if that's your thing.. I mean who doesn't want their old carbon frame back..
I looked at that, having a $2000 ~ $4000 item go thru a stranger is a little stressful. plus it adds ~$300 to the price, now we are getting into other bikes price range. I have my eye on a slightly used Rail 9.7 right now. I prefer a Bafang bike, but beggars can't be choosers

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
I must be honest, Having watched Luna Cycles develop over the years they are not very open to sharing. They very much like to monopolise the diy Ebike market by getting exclusive rights on products in the U.S. They tried this with Sur-Ron light bee bikes. Before anyone knew it you couldn't get them direct from the Chinese factory, and when I went direct to Luna they said they would not send to the U.K.

Ahhh...thats a bummer.....:(. I will say they are NOT the best company I have dealt with but they have been reasonable for anything I have needed or asked for. For 3500 dollars the X1 is great bike and with some upgrades it puts it up there with much more expensive bikes at 2/3rd's the cost , which is why I bought it. Had other brand names been available through my LBS, I would have went that route though. I wanted an eMTB I could ride hard and at the time, the X1 was my only choice. Needless to say, like Rob has been with his cheeb, I have been pleasantly surprised by this bike! :)

Lucky Pete

Nov 24, 2020
Hakuba Japan
I must be honest, Having watched Luna Cycles develop over the years they are not very open to sharing. They very much like to monopolise the diy Ebike market by getting exclusive rights on products in the U.S.
Just like any wholesale operator in any market segment of any product. There are always ways around things. Try living in Australia or Japan, often items are geo restricted ;)

Lucky Pete

Nov 24, 2020
Hakuba Japan
Come on Rob must be time for the 2nd video :) If you do swap out forks and you have time can you let me know the steerer tube length. You've inspired me to seriously look at these and maybe build one using new take off parts (forks, shocks, wheels) when people have upgraded at the shop etc. Steerer tube length is the one unknown for me. Thanks!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles