Dengfu E10 Suspension/Wheel Options

Kiwin

Mar 24, 2021
France
Hello,

I just received my frame from Dengfu!

I can see from E10 geometry that for all frame sizes (mine is 19"), the fork axle to crown length shall be 560.
VTT_Denfu_geometry.jpg

On the market, for 29" wheels, the forks that match such axle to crown are usually 150mm travel forks :
For example :
- Rockshox Pike/Lyrik 150mm travel are given for 561 axle to crown,
- Fox 36 @150 are 562

Going to 160mm obviously add 10mm to Axle to Crown making it 571/572...

On past messages on the forum I see most of you have chosen bigger travel forks (160, 170). Am I wrong ?

I'm just wondering how important it is to match the planned geometry of the E10 ? Maybe the answer is that 10 or 20 mm won't change much.. Just want to have your thoughts ?

Kev

Kiwin

Mar 24, 2021
France
Thanks @thaeber. I agree with that. So this means the head angle for a fork of 571mm long will be around 65.5 degrees. This is a little less than the frame was designed for, and increasing the trail.
On the image I posted, we can see that the offset is at 37.5mm. So a fork with 42 or 44mm is the closest to frame design. But forks vendors also propose 51mm, which can help reducing the trail...
What offset do you think this frame will accept the best ? what did you guys choose ?

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
I slacked the HA to 64 degree at my Cheeb, front 29“ @ 180mm travel, rear with longer 216 mm shock and 27.5“ wheel. I‘m running a Mezzer fork with 44 mm offset, feeling the bike is perfectly balanced. In wet conditions, it ist sliding very neutral over both wheels.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
You can use a shorter travel fork say 150mm with the 29er front wheel and keep as good a rolling speed through the bumps and roots + the 150mm forks seem more available second hand. + there's a whole number of very capable 150mm analogue bikes almost unused all waiting to be donor bikes at relatively low prices compared to new parts.

Sorry I'm not to big advocate of long travel where 95% of the time its not needed. If you need 170mm of travel or longer regularly then you are into gravity bikes and thats not an E10 in my view. Get that BB up too high and you into slow responding dull feeling bikes on the trail.

The other consideration is get your bottom off the seat and your knees will give you another 75mm of travel over the suspension travel, how often do you see guys going down bumpy paths still seated.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
For me the only thing better then long travel is even longer travel ?. Most of the guys denying the advantage of more travel are not capable to tune in the suspension to optimal functionality. The weight of the bike is almost the same, so why not put in more travel? Yes, the BB is higher, but You ride much more Sag, and You can dial the suspension in to give You the super plush magic carpet feeling only a long travel bike can provide. If You dont like that, and if You dont love speed even on the rughest and steepest downhills, maybe You dont need that. Otherwise, go for it. The E10 is absolutely decent and capable. IMHO.

dvng

May 21, 2021
Malaysia
For me the only thing better then long travel is even longer travel ?. Most of the guys denying the advantage of more travel are not capable to tune in the suspension to optimal functionality. The weight of the bike is almost the same, so why not put in more travel? Yes, the BB is higher, but You ride much more Sag, and You can dial the suspension in to give You the super plush magic carpet feeling only a long travel bike can provide. If You dont like that, and if You dont love speed even on the rughest and steepest downhills, maybe You dont need that. Otherwise, go for it. The E10 is absolutely decent and capable. IMHO.

I absolutely agree with thaeber and length matters. My analogue freeride bike is on a Fox 40 with 190mm travel. The bike is so forgiving with rought trails and smooth over everything like a carpet. It thought me how to ride steep descent and handles rough ruts and rocky terrains. Its a blast. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get hold of travel adjust DC forks now and its very low supply now. If not i would have fitted one in my upcoming E10 project.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
You can use a shorter travel fork say 150mm with the 29er front wheel and keep as good a rolling speed through the bumps and roots + the 150mm forks seem more available second hand. + there's a whole number of very capable 150mm analogue bikes almost unused all waiting to be donor bikes at relatively low prices compared to new parts.

Sorry I'm not to big advocate of long travel where 95% of the time its not needed. If you need 170mm of travel or longer regularly then you are into gravity bikes and thats not an E10 in my view. Get that BB up too high and you into slow responding dull feeling bikes on the trail.

The other consideration is get your bottom off the seat and your knees will give you another 75mm of travel over the suspension travel, how often do you see guys going down bumpy paths still seated.

It is your point of view. With my experience I say that E10 is a great all mountain bike in 160 travel . i find this frame mostly an enduro bike than an XC

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
@dvng: Try to get a Monitou Dorado Pro. I know they are not that common, but You can adjust the travel between 200/190/180 to my knowledge. And they have the same 3 air chamber IRT system as my Mezzer fork. If You spend some time and brain into the setup, they reward You with a super plush feeling, lots of support in the mid stroke, and hydraulic bottom out if You miss the right spot for landing ?

Kiwin

Mar 24, 2021
France
I received my Fox Float Evol rear shock. It comes with the two mounting holes axes in parallel. On the E10 frame they should be perpendicular to each other. How do you make the rotation ? shall I just force a bit on it ?

Pav09990

May 16, 2021
Poland
I need another recomendation of drivetrain please, how many speed cassete you are using for m600/m500 is 10 speed is enough please shere your setup and opinion TIA

duncan6

Aug 6, 2021
Hong Kong
I slacked the HA to 64 degree at my Cheeb, front 29“ @ 180mm travel, rear with longer 216 mm shock and 27.5“ wheel. I‘m running a Mezzer fork with 44 mm offset, feeling the bike is perfectly balanced. In wet conditions, it ist sliding very neutral over both wheels.

Hi Thaeber
Would like to know the BB height of your bike ?
(one offset bushing used ?)
Thanks

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Hi Thaeber
Would like to know the BB height of your bike ?
(one offset bushing used ?)
Thanks
BB height is at ~358 mm, one offset bushing, 216 mm shock length, mullet wheelset, 180 mm fork. Seems high, but I run my bike with 30% SAG, and it feels great. 170 mm crankset and almost no pedal strike.

duncan6

Aug 6, 2021
Hong Kong
BB height is at ~358 mm, one offset bushing, 216 mm shock length, mullet wheelset, 180 mm fork. Seems high, but I run my bike with 30% SAG, and it feels great. 170 mm crankset and almost no pedal strike.

thanks!
I checked the previous threads, just need to material off 2-3mm of the hinge for installing 216x63mm shock
please advise if any other issue need to pay attention ?

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
thanks!
I checked the previous threads, just need to material off 2-3mm of the hinge for installing 216x63mm shock
please advise if any other issue need to pay attention ?
No thats all. You only have to rework the upper part (see picture) of the yoke, the lower part doesnt need any rework, no contact to the seattube with 216 mm shock.

25B52FF5-7BA4-47DC-A9E6-03F5A367EB13.jpeg

duncan6

Aug 6, 2021
Hong Kong
I just compared the geometry to the trek rail. From what I can see the numbers are fairly similar. I think it i were to build it is run 29 front and rear, and put a 1.5 degree Angleset headset in to change it to 64.5 degrees.

Hi, which model of Angleset should be used on Dengfu E10 ?
I can't find the suitable one for 1.5 degree.
Please advise, thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles