Decoy frame bearings

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
I'm trying to replace my bearings and I'm back looking for reassurance that the rear ones on the seat stay (by the mech and brake) are pressed in from the outside and pushed out from the inside. I've Tried in to out with a tool having the inner race and they don't want to budge thus far, despite my persuasion.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Yeah those are a right PITA! Had to take mine to the bike store around the corner from where I live to get those replaced. Managed to remove/regrease all the others recently.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Yeah, couldn't knock them out so I frankensteined together a puller with a small and large socket, made it simple. They do push from inside to outside.
Now it turns out I have flex in all the others too 😥 any hints for getting the ones out of the frame, they look really hard to get at with anything.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Yeah, couldn't knock them out so I frankensteined together a puller with a small and large socket, made it simple. They do push from inside to outside.
Now it turns out I have flex in all the others too 😥 any hints for getting the ones out of the frame, they look really hard to get at with anything.
Not really I'm afraid. Take apart as much of the bike as you're comfortable doing to give you access. They are definitely the weak point on the heavy Decoy. Mine were all replaced last year. Luckily I have a great bike store around the corner from where I live, and if I struggle at all with anything I take it to them. They told me they've become very good at putting 2.6" tires onto wide rims with Cush Core :)

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Heat is you friend when replacing bearings... get a heat gun and get it good and hot before you try and remove, might have bearing loctite on it.

also when installing..put bearing in freezer overnight.. then heat the cup with heat gun and the will drop right in.

also, small taps vs giant wacks are better for removing... almost think jack hammer like tapping without a ton of force.. if you really hammer on them the can get cockeyed and jam.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles