29er DT Swiss Front Wheel bearing removal

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Anyone got any hints? I've pulled off the end caps and tried pushing over the inner sleeve to be able to drift out the bearing but it doesn't seem to want to move and I don't really want to apply too much persuasion without checking first.
It's on a Decoy Base and it's apparently a 370 hub according to DT Swiss.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Are you referring to a spacer shaft between the 2 bearings? If so, and you cannot move it to one side it means the spacer is being held between the bearings and you need to separate them a little....which can be tricky. One way it to use something like a rawbolt that you can insert and tighten onto the inner race of one of the bearings and then tap outward.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Yes, that's it. Thanks, I'll try the rawl bolt and see if that helps. Both bearings are shot after 7 months and I'm also hoping replacement will cure the wobble that the wheel had got even when it's clamped right in the forks.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Yeah, I watched that one and that's what I was trying, didn't want to budge I suspect I may not have been applying enough oomph though so I'll have to give it another shot.
There doesn't seem to be much/any info out there for the 370 front hub so I figured it was worth asking if there was anything I was missing.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Pliers handles are ideal because you need to push the spacer at the centre of its length rather than at the bearing end. If you try pushing at the bearing end you in effect tilt the spacer which of course makes its longer.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
That's a good point, I tried with quite a chunky set of pliers that couldn't go in too far without wedging so I couldn't lever in the middle. I'll have to find something thinner to use instead. Day off work on Friday so this task is scheduled in.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
......or bend an old screwdriver and wrap the end in amalgamating tape or similar. The bearing will be changed so the screwdriver shaft only needs wrapping where it works against the spacer.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Tried again this evening, turns out the spacer does move...but when the pressure is release it moves back into position again, almost as if it's housed within a firm rubber. It's a bit frustrating.
I might have to try the sacrificing a screwdriver and bending it like you suggest. I sense this is going to be a pain in the arse. I'm starting to regret not just handing them to a shop.

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Finally got the buggers out. It's the o rings in the spacer that mean when you lever it out of the way it just boings back into position so you have to lever and hammer at the same time. I'm not sure there's any way to do that without marking the spacer.
Anyway, they're out now and I've just got to get the new ones in ?

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Note for future self : 1. Buy proper press kit for re-insertion 2. Obtain blind bearing puller 3. Seriously consider just saying damn it and asking an LBS to do the job.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Note for future self : 1. Buy proper press kit for re-insertion 2. Obtain blind bearing puller 3. Seriously consider just saying damn it and asking an LBS to do the job.
Look up the RRP sets of press tools and make your own press kit by matching them up with a length of threaded rod a couple of big washers and a couple of nuts.
For blind extraction one of these would probably do the job
Bearing Puller for Bike Hub, Wheel, Frame, Horst, Blind, Extractor, Bicycle | eBay

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
Yeah, got an RRP set for an old bikes frame bearings, just wasn't well prepared (well, I was being cheap) enough to get the same for the wheel ?. Bearing puller would have definitely been a help though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles