Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Product Image:
Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 13.15.55.png

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 13.16.08.png

Product name: Decathlon Rockrider ST 500 Mountain Biking Jacket
Price paid: 35 Euros
Score (out of 10): 8

Review: Picked this up on Friday as it was "End of Line" and €35 , didn't think I could go far wrong.

MEN COLD WEATHER INTERMED ST MTB APPAREL - ST 500 Jacket

Not to be confused with the other jacket of the same name except described as "waterproof", which is only £20.

MEN WET WEATHER INT ADV ST MTB APPAREL - ST500 Waterproof Mountain Bike Jacket - Black

Tried it yesterday for two hours in "Storm Dennis" and it worked faultlessly.

It's not advertised as "waterproof" as only the upper sides of the arms are waterproof and the sides of the jacket are mesh. The advantage being that it doesn't need a membrane and the waterproof sections should stay waterproof.

I tend to throw myself on the ground a lot and like to roll around in the rocks and brambles as part of my enjoyment, so I keep holding off buying a "nice"/"expensive" jacket for fear of slashing it to pieces.

The st500 is designed with brambles and such in mind and the main waterproof areas are a hard wearing material.

It's rated at -3 to 10c . Yesterday was about 12 and a couple of times I was getting a bit warm, but with all the ventilation, cooled down quickly and didn't feel like I was wearing a bin bag full of water.

Has a handy front phone pocket and a useful key pocket on the rear. Also has little elastic pockets on the sides for tubes and things, but they're not large enough or with strong enough elastic, so I think most things would fall out pretty easily.

The main front zip is described as "one handed use" and it does actually easily go up and down with one hand.

The back of the jacket comes down to stop you getting a wet rear from spray.

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 13.16.08.png

As a cheap jacket to abuse and keep you dry, it seems to do the job nicely.

Size wise, I average in at a Medium. With this I ended up with the Large as it goes over my Troy lee 7855. The medium was about 4 inches off closing round my chest. The Large was actually tight in the shop without the armour so could possibly have up sized again to XL. So on average - up size one, though the L did stretch over the armour yesterday.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Yes it is, I also have a few items from them. I still wonder how it's made tho, it's probably not very ethical at these prices.

For now, things I bought 2-3 years ago are still usable (gloves, jacket, water proof stuff for commuting). Some of them even ate dirt and asphalt with me.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I use this jacket from them for riding - its been bombproof in the worst conditions for over a year, definitely the best jacket I have had, and I have dropped stupid money on big brands before. Its from their hiking line, but works fine on the bike.

MEN MOUNTAIN HIKING JACKETS - MH900 Men's Waterproof Jacket - Black

I looked at that first :) The stats on waterproof levels and breath-ability were excellent and it looked liked it was nicely put together. I take it you find it breaths well and it's not just numbers to make it look good ? I find most things which say they're breathable, aren't. Or if they are, they're not waterproof, hence this time choosing something which could physically breath.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have never found it to get too hot, but I just wear a merino base layer under it, with a short sleeve riding jersey. TBH if I was looking at a jacked from them now, I would probably go with this one:

MEN ULTRALIGHT SHOES, APPAREL, BACKPACK - M Jacket FH900 Hybrid

Its got less pockets and lighter weight, the one I have has a lot of pockets which are always a weakness for waterproofing, but I haven't had any issues.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I use this jacket from them for riding - its been bombproof in the worst conditions for over a year, definitely the best jacket I have had, and I have dropped stupid money on big brands before. Its from their hiking line, but works fine on the bike.

MEN MOUNTAIN HIKING JACKETS - MH900 Men's Waterproof Jacket - Black

Is that exposed front zip waterproof? I've had loads of problems with zips letting the storm in... If it is, then looks really good value.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
But has far worse breath ability - which I think on a bike is probably more important than overall level of waterproof ? (as otherwise you'll just we wet from your own man made rain).

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
But has far worse breath ability - which I think on a bike is probably more important than overall level of waterproof ? (as otherwise you'll just we wet from your own man made rain).
BREATHABILITY OF THE FABRIC
To find out if a fabric is breathable, measure its evaporative resistance RET (test based on ISO 11092). The lower the fabric's resistance, the more the water vapour generated by physical activity evaporates, and the higher the fabric's breathability.
It is considered that if:
* RET < 9 = very breathable fabric
* 9 < RET < 12 = breathable fabric.

Here are the breathability values of the Trek 500 jacket:
RET < 8 for the lightest fabric
RET < 12 for the most resistant fabric

So at best its "very breathable" and at worst it's "breathable"... how is that so bad or are you just making assumptions? :)

Looks like its basically Decathlons budget-friendly version of Gore-tex.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So at best its "very breathable" and at worst it's "breathable"... how is that so bad or are you just making assumptions? :)

Sorry, that was crap, I should have been more clear on what I was actually saying - It has "far worse breathability" than the MH900 jacket which r120 already owns. Which has a RET of 6.

@R120 said the Trek might be better, whereas for mountain biking, I thought it might be worse.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As an fyi I am referring to use in the very worst of conditions, where I am rating waterproofing over breathability.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Sorry, that was crap, I should have been more clear on what I was actually saying - It has "far worse breathability" than the MH900 jacket which r120 already owns. Which has a RET of 6.

@R120 said the Trek might be better, whereas for mountain biking, I thought it might be worse.
Ahh I getcha. I think it is likely good enough to perform fine in bad weather conditions with its breathability and waterproof ratings. Although having said that, in the UK for the same price you can probably find some bargain gore-tex jackets around too in the sales that perform better than the (maybe a little overpriced?) Decathlon?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
With decathlon its worth watching out for their sales - no reason to pay full price most of the time, I think I got my jacket for 50 quid or similar

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Mine was "end of line" .. at €35 you can't really go wrong .. Just been out and it's performed perfectly in 60km's of rain/hail/wind/sun?? (wasn't much of that). Far less sweaty than normal even though I was in Levo SL test mode on a Kenevo.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
But has far worse breath ability - which I think on a bike is probably more important than overall level of waterproof ?
Dunno about everybody else but I rarely ever sweat on an Emtb.
I absolutely never wear a jacket riding a normal bike but need to on the Emtb as with assistance my HR rarely ever hits zone 3 so I just don't warm up except on descents.

I really like this Decathlon roadie jacket
MEN WET WEATHER ROAD CYCLING APPAREL - Men's Cycling Rainproof Jacket
but i have no use for a jacket on my roadbike (HR rarely drops below Zone 3)

Apparently Emtb is just the same workout

Aye right ;)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Dunno about everybody else but I rarely ever sweat on an Emtb.

That's because you're just so damned cool !!!

I generally don't sweat much, but when I'm on the bike it seems I do ! (most noticeable when it can't evaporate due to jacket variety .) I actually have an upside down mudguard, to funnel sweat away from the back tyre, so I don't loose traction .. :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's because you're just so damned cool !!!
giphy.gif

I actually commute in 2 Jackets (and civvies) and a hat and gloves just now. sometimes also full non breathable waterproofs.
Just under 10 miles (each way). Takes bang on 25 minutes and I don't arrive sweaty at all.
I'd have to turn the motor off to.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
giphy.gif

I actually commute in 2 Jackets (and civvies) and a hat and gloves just now. sometimes also full non breathable waterproofs.
Just under 10 miles (each way). Takes bang on 25 minutes and I don't arrive sweaty at all.
I'd have to turn the motor off to.

Ah yes, but you're in Scotland where they have that weird illusion hill where gravity goes the wrong way..... Or you're negating to mention that you travel to work on your bike whilst in the back of someone's truck .... You could just be at the pivot point age wise .. Sweating is just around the corner :) Then again, as the Scottish Fonz, you're probably incredibly fit from all your horizontal jogging.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's not a particularly hilly commute (just 500ft in the morning, 600ft back) and it's all on road with very fast rolling tyres

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's not a particularly hilly commute (just 500ft in the morning, 600ft back) and it's all on road with very fast rolling tyres
Yes, but you must go quickly or you'd get bored. Let's stick with the logical conclusion, you're just inhumanly super cool. ????‍♀️

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If 22mph average is considered fast then yes.
There's a one mile long descent on the way in where on a good day I'll freewheel at 40+

I'm bored shitless with it but it's still a lot quicker than driving would be.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
20 years back I had a unicycle and hated it... so got rid! Much like the ex who thought it would make a good present for me. ;)

Couple of long mannies through traffic on the commute always takes away some of the tedium and makes me smile but it's been too windy for far too long now.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
20 years back I had a unicycle and hated it... so got rid!
I suppose they do suck. No wheelies, no stoppies, no otb... Not a lot of point really. 200mm disk brake > pointless or face plant.

The upgrade options are just so limiting ! ?
Couple of long mannies through traffic on the commute always takes away some of the tedium

You should wear fancy dress, then you'd be performing a community service and helping with everyone's medium ! ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles