20210329_192748.jpg

20210329_192807.jpg

20210402_161800.jpg

20210402_161438.jpg

20210402_161533.jpg

Product name: Ergon SM E- Mountain Core Prime Black 278 X 160mm
Price paid: £101.99
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: For almost 2 yrs I've been perched upon the Specialized Phenom saddle that came standard with my Levo
I've got on ok with it - until these last few months , it has become an object of torture
I've done 4 hr rides on it in the past but 4 minutes has recently become a challenge
I'm not sure if it's become less supportive ,worn out or the fact that my butt has less natural padding than it used too .
I usually ride with lycra padded Shorts with baggies over the top , I've recently tried 2 lycra shorts plus baggies and it's still agony
My sitbones are just excruciatingly painful , I can't sit for long and also when I raise up of the saddle it's agony for a few seconds

Something had to be done as I couldn't face riding my bike
After much research I settled on this model from Ergon . I was apprehensive to shell out on something that I was unable to test first and couldn't return if it didn't make the grade
I've already got a few of those on a shelf in my garage

So how does this one compare ?
It's not cheap , even though I got it for £102 ( it's usually about £130) I still think it's a bit pricey , just my opinion.
But it looses a point for that reason

If it's comfortable though , I'm willing to pay it
So is it ??
It's Bliss !! 😍proper arm chair feel
The worst I've had is mild discomfort on a long ride , about the same level of discomfort I'd get if I sat on my sofa for as long
I was able to manage this by shifting my weight around fairly regularly
The raised rear helps with this , although it's designed to help secure your butt when climbing ( which it is does really well ) it also doubles up as an alternative perch position and takes some pressure of the sit bones
I'm not sure if it was so designed for that but it works
There is a relief channel running through it which stops pressure on the "Taint" which works well.

My previous saddle had a curved shape to it whereas the Ergon is flatter and gives support over a larger area .
There is a decent amount of padding as I've tried to show in one of the pics

The rails are chromally and do what's asked of them

The finish and quality are excellent as I'd expect for a premium product

Any negatives ?

The price - I don't care if it's comfy

It's a bit heavy - not too much of an issue

It's a bit taller - may need to drop your post slightly , potentially a problem if you're already bottomed out on your seat post - not a problem for me fortunately

The raised rear may require the saddle to be fitted slightly further back to stop the rider being to far forward - not a big issue

It's quite wide at the rear - that's actually a good thing for me as it gives more support but does require a technique tweak when getting off the back of it on the steep stuff - again not a biggy

Overall I'm really pleased with it . My painful sitbones are now recovering.
Of course, it may not be the answer to all riders aches and pains . If you can manage a try before you buy, maybe a mate or rental bike has one fitted , then that would be Beneficial.
It's an expensive gamble that fortunately worked out fine for me ,but could easily have backfired

Ergon recommend getting yourself measured , as there are two sizes and male/female options

Last edited:

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I fitted one of these a couple of weeks ago, and it’s the best saddle I’ve had. And I’ve tried a few!

I also binned the cheapo Amazon padded undershorts, and got some Endura instead, so for me this is the perfect combo. I’m on the bike for 3-4 hours a day, and this just works.

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
I was looking at these saddles last night - not loving the standard levo one - did you have to pay any brexit import duties?
No duties to pay
Paid about £7 postage but that was for several items
Took about 10 days to arrive ,bit slow but worth the wait

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Product name: Ergon SM E- Mountain Core Prime Black 278 X 160mm
Price paid: £101.99
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: For almost 2 yrs I've been perched upon the Specialized Phenom saddle that came standard with my Levo
I've got on ok with it - until these last few months , it has become an object of torture
I've done 4 hr rides on it in the past but 4 minutes has recently become a challenge
I'm not sure if it's become less supportive ,worn out or the fact that my butt has less natural padding than it used too .
I usually ride with lycra padded Shorts with baggies over the top , I've recently tried 2 lycra shorts plus baggies and it's still agony
My sitbones are just excruciatingly painful , I can't sit for long and also when I raise up of the saddle it's agony for a few seconds

Something had to be done as I couldn't face riding my bike
After much research I settled on this model from Ergon . I was apprehensive to shell out on something that I was unable to test first and couldn't return if it didn't make the grade
I've already got a few of those on a shelf in my garage

So how does this one compare ?
It's not cheap , even though I got it for £102 ( it's usually about £130) I still think it's a bit pricey , just my opinion.
But it looses a point for that reason

If it's comfortable though , I'm willing to pay it
So is it ??
It's Bliss ? proper arm chair feel
The worst I've had is mild discomfort on a long ride , about the same level of discomfort I'd get if I sat on my sofa for as long
I was able to manage this by shifting my weight around fairly regularly
The raised rear helps with this , although it's designed to help secure your butt when climbing ( which it is does really well ) it also doubles up as an alternative perch position and takes some pressure of the sit bones
I'm not sure if it was so designed for that but it works
There is a relief channel running through it which stops pressure on the "Taint" which works well.

My previous saddle had a curved shape to it whereas the Ergon is flatter and gives support over a larger area .
There is a decent amount of padding as I've tried to show in one of the pics

The rails are chromally and do what's asked of them

The finish and quality are excellent as I'd expect for a premium product

Any negatives ?

The price - I don't care if it's comfy

It's a bit heavy - not too much of an issue

It's a bit taller - may need to drop your post slightly , potentially a problem if you're already bottomed out on your seat post - not a problem for me fortunately

The raised rear may require the saddle to be fitted slightly further back to stop the rider being to far forward - not a big issue

It's quite wide at the rear - that's actually a good thing for me as it gives more support but does require a technique tweak when getting off the back of it on the steep stuff - again not a biggy

Overall I'm really pleased with it . My painful sitbones are now recovering.
Of course, it may not be the answer to all riders aches and pains . If you can manage a try before you buy, maybe a mate or rental bike has one fitted , then that would be Beneficial.
It's an expensive gamble that fortunately worked out fine for me ,but could easily have backfired

Ergon recommend getting yourself measured , as there are two sizes and male/female options

So what's the verdict after a month?

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
Had this saddle from December until a month back - when one of two CroMo rails got badly bent. Mind you, I was gentle with it, never sitting through the rough stuff and never went past the allowed limits on rail markings for adjustments. It went back to the shop where I bought it, hopefully will be a warranty case.

Comfort-wise it was really great; the only issue is that bc it is wide, sometimes it gets in the way of performing some stunts when fully lowered on a dropper.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I just ordered the non-ebike version of the SMC Core. $149. in the US but found a 10% discount coupon. Fighting saddle sores off and on and have tried a lot of saddles, chamois liners (zoic red, gray and green), seat heights, chamois cream (butter and gouch), standing a lot more (I tend to stand a lot anyway), oxy-10 after showering, showing immediately after a ride (no delay), bag balm, etc. I'm going to try no chamois and this saddle when I feel better. I have a sore that just came back again (small welt) and they seem to arrive after some harder all ECO rides I've tended to do lately. If I rode boost all the time I doubt I would get these. I was using a SQ Labs 600 saddle with the softest insert until this hit me again. I've tried a std Ergon SMC saddle, lots of various WTB saddles too, measured sit bones (11-12 cm) and stuck with smaller saddles because of that measurement.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I have to say the non-ebike version is pretty good. I've ridden it 3 times now and even though I still have "issues" healing they did not bother me at all. I did find I still needed the Zoic shorts but that's about all. Yes it's the most comfortable saddle I've found too and I've bought a bunch of them, lol.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
measured sit bones (11-12 cm) and stuck with smaller saddles because of that measurement.

This reminded me how the local SQ-Lab representative in shop told me to use that measurement.

My sit-bones measured +/- 12cm (pretty hard to get correct reading with either methods), but was told to add +1/+2/etc.. for level of uprightness when seating.
Since I sit quite up-right with modern bike geometry (76+ deg actual seat angles, I push my seat forward to get around 78), but not as super up-right like some touring bike, I added +2 which netted me the 14cm in SQ-Lab, though I kind of wish I could try 15cm as well.

With Ergon, we bought my wife SMC Core (the non-e version, but I swear the profile looks 99perc. identical, even with that back rising) in Large, which is supposed to be 12 to 16cm (pretty damn wide range compared to SQ-Lab granularity.. though it might erase incorrect choices) which to me feels pretty comfortable and right size as well.

I plan to test one more saddle on market, the SQ-Lab 6X0 Infinergy with same foam like Ergon Core (Infinergy...) which looks more spartan than the Ergon saddle but I find the Ergon to have way too tall stack height and just overall massiveness.

But yeah I can see how SQ-Lab still gave you issues as they're pretty hard so despite giving great sit-bones support, they only relieve the perineal area where the channel is, but the saddle still requires high-quality and dense chamois insert.
Whereas the Ergon SMC-Core gives soft comfort on top of sit-bones support. I just want to see if the 6X0 Infinergy version can also achieve both.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
This reminded me how the local SQ-Lab representative in shop told me to use that measurement.

My sit-bones measured +/- 12cm (pretty hard to get correct reading with either methods), but was told to add +1/+2/etc.. for level of uprightness when seating.
Since I sit quite up-right with modern bike geometry (76+ deg actual seat angles, I push my seat forward to get around 78), but not as super up-right like some touring bike, I added +2 which netted me the 14cm in SQ-Lab, though I kind of wish I could try 15cm as well.

With Ergon, we bought my wife SMC Core (the non-e version, but I swear the profile looks 99perc. identical, even with that back rising) in Large, which is supposed to be 12 to 16cm (pretty damn wide range compared to SQ-Lab granularity.. though it might erase incorrect choices) which to me feels pretty comfortable and right size as well.

I plan to test one more saddle on market, the SQ-Lab 6X0 Infinergy with same foam like Ergon Core (Infinergy...) which looks more spartan than the Ergon saddle but I find the Ergon to have way too tall stack height and just overall massiveness.

But yeah I can see how SQ-Lab still gave you issues as they're pretty hard so despite giving great sit-bones support, they only relieve the perineal area where the channel is, but the saddle still requires high-quality and dense chamois insert.
Whereas the Ergon SMC-Core gives soft comfort on top of sit-bones support. I just want to see if the 6X0 Infinergy version can also achieve both.
And I had the 610 which has more padding than the 611 but it's also got 3 discrete steps that might be an issue. The 611 makes very smooth transitions. So far I like the Ergon Core and I did try a regular SMC once. This all started for me when I bought a large size Italian saddle I saw on a Focus ebike on youtube because the factory rider said how good it was. I did not pay good attention and it was very wide for me so I think that was caused my original problems. No saddle sores before that large saddle (I think it was 155 or 165mm).

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
I got the same since my E+1 2020.
Transfered it on my 2022 E+1.
With it, my buttocks never hurted, even after long ride (Despite i dont wear anything for buttocks comfort).
And everyone tring my bike say 'hey, what sadlle is it ? It feels so comfortably smooth !'.

A must !

nigefox

Feb 1, 2022
West Mids
My bike came with a Fizik saddle which isnt hugely uncomfortable but i do find aching in my buttocks for a day or so afterwards.
I was looking at this Ergon saddle in the shop recently and decided not to buy it in the end due to the cost and risk it wouldnt be any better... am glad ive read this review now as it confirms the reviews ive also read elsewhere.
I havent had my sit bone "professional" measured but have tried to measure it myself at home using a method i found a few people recommended online. If id of had to guess i would have said i needed a large saddle but my sit bone measure a S/M size apparently!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@nigefox Get some corrugated cardboard. The squashy stuff is best but any sort is better than none at all. Lay it on a flat surface at about normal chair height. Sit on it for a few seconds, long enough to compress the corrugate. When you get off you should see two depressions. If not, then either the corrugate is too hard for your weight or you have a fat arse! Draw a circle around the depressions and then put a dot where you estimate the centre of each circle is. Measure between the dots to get your sit bone measurement. Mine was 130mm, so that means that the 130mm wide saddle on my new bike was the cause of my saddle sores! Each sit bone had been right on the shoulders of the saddle! I bought a 150mm wide saddle and I've been untroubled by saddle problems ever since.

Or use the method that Rachel Atherton uses. (Which happened to work for me as it agreed with the more intuitive corrugate method). :unsure:

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I've got the Ergon SM-Pro mens saddle in M/L on my XC hardtail, will probably swap it to my Rail when it arrives. I did plenty of reading and the Ergon has been fantastic so far. 9/10 is a very fair review imo

Reactive

Apr 15, 2022
SF Bay Area, CA
I just ordered the non-ebike version of the SMC Core. $149. in the US but found a 10% discount coupon. Fighting saddle sores off and on and have tried a lot of saddles, chamois liners (zoic red, gray and green), seat heights, chamois cream (butter and gouch), standing a lot more (I tend to stand a lot anyway), oxy-10 after showering, showing immediately after a ride (no delay), bag balm, etc. I'm going to try no chamois and this saddle when I feel better. I have a sore that just came back again (small welt) and they seem to arrive after some harder all ECO rides I've tended to do lately. If I rode boost all the time I doubt I would get these. I was using a SQ Labs 600 saddle with the softest insert until this hit me again. I've tried a std Ergon SMC saddle, lots of various WTB saddles too, measured sit bones (11-12 cm) and stuck with smaller saddles because of that measurement.
Try Dznuts cream. Best I have used.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I got an SMC Sport Gel men in S/M but I was right on the edge of sizing. It's definitely better than the awful stock Haibike seat but I think I should have got a M/L :(

So looks like I prob need to put it up for sale. Shame as these seats aren't cheap!

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I seem to have turned a corner on saddle sores and have not had one for over a month of riding now. It's hard to determine with any data what the difference is but I'll try to share some things I "think" have helped. And I still get some degree of soreness at the 45 min point of a ride and after. Sitting anywhere is an issue but tolerable, just not normal if my memory of my first 2+ years of riding is accurate. I think I must have some glute, piriformis, nerve, tendon or misc damage that needs to heal up. I've tried many creams and apparel changes, bike saddle tweaks, many expensive saddles too. So I'll try to summarized what I'm left with that I think has made a difference for me.

My last saddle, the Selle SMP Trk saddle (150mm, which is wide for me but maybe that's why it works?) is definitely more comfortable for me than any so far. It's pretty heavy at 420g and with thicker padding so you need to adjust the dropper down if you can. There is a 300g version of this called the Extra and another similar one called the Hybrid, both of which are narrower at around 140mm. I've not had even one saddle sore with this $80 saddle after getting them again and again on other saddles. I would eventually want to try the Hybrid or Extra saddles but for now until I am mostly 100% pain free I'll stick with this one. None of my sores became more than raised pimples and didn't ever get infected but really hurt to ride.

Someone here said try L-Lysine and it will help heal your saddle sores and prevent them from reoccurring. With nothing to lose I did that and it sure does seem to do exactly that. The one sore I did get on another recent saddle a few months ago now was very slight and went away is days while taking L-Lysine. Of course this is just my experience and an n=1 where the proof is just anecdotal. But I believe enough that I'll continue to take it. I did try about a month off the bike in January and the saddle sore came right back on the first ride.

I'm not using any special chamois creams anymore and have tried about 4 of the popular ones so far. No bagbalm post ride. But I have dabbed on a small portion of Polysporin in the spots I used to get my sores and so far no sores after my rides. I am using Zoic gray liners (tried no liner and didn't feel very good) still and get out of them post ride right away, shower and end up with an Oxy 10 "treatment" after which I rinse and dry off really well.

I do use some cold packs post ride, do certain stretches each night designed for this type of pain along with some time with a heating pad too. And my rides have been shorted where I started with 10 mile rides, 1000+ feet of climbing 2X a week. I go to 3X next week and 13 miles and 1500 feet. I finished this week with 3 rides and 13.8 miles and 2000+feet of climbing and felt pretty good, no sores although my sit bones and butt are sore now. Prior to my first bout with saddle sores I was averaging 50 miles a week and 7,000 feet of climbing. What started this seemed to be a new saddle I tried, way too wide at 155mm, Prologo Proxim w650 Sport t2.0. Can't be positive this was coincidental and it wasn't my age, 73 now, causing this to start.

Hope I have not bored all of you with this long list, lol. I don't think I'm out of woods yet but hopeful I might be on the right track and someday can ride as often as I'd like to ride again.

Will337

Jan 11, 2021
South East
I recently picked up one of these saddles from ROSE Biketown in Bocholt Germany, what a store! They literally have everything.
I used their saddle sizing machine and it confirmed what I thought but best to confirm these things. The saddle itself is night and day difference over the stock one of the Focus Sam 6.8. I no longer have aching buttocks and the ride going uphills is far better. I reckon it still needs breaking in but for me at 95kg it was awesome straight off the shelf.
It's confusing with the names but 'Ergon SM E- Mountain Core Prime' is the one with a bigger curved tail over the standard 'SMC Core' version I believe so it's more suited for enduro e-bike adventures.

Overall 9/10 from me.

ergon1.jpg
ergon2.jpg
focus-6.8-out-n-about.jpg

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I recently picked up one of these saddles from ROSE Biketown in Bocholt Germany, what a store! They literally have everything.
I used their saddle sizing machine and it confirmed what I thought but best to confirm these things. The saddle itself is night and day difference over the stock one of the Focus Sam 6.8. I no longer have aching buttocks and the ride going uphills is far better. I reckon it still needs breaking in but for me at 95kg it was awesome straight off the shelf.
It's confusing with the names but 'Ergon SM E- Mountain Core Prime' is the one with a bigger curved tail over the standard 'SMC Core' version I believe so it's more suited for enduro e-bike adventures.

Overall 9/10 from me.
Great that it worked out for you. I bought the non-ebike version for my ebike and while not really bad, didn't give me the change and comfort I was seeking, much like all the other high end saddles I invested in. I finally found one that did the trick and it's a pretty radical departure from conventional shapes. And I was considering one of those split saddles too but didn't think it was right for mtn biking. I went with the rather heavy (420g) SELLE SMP TRK saddle. My sit bones are narrow at 11.5 cm and so I've used 135mm saddles mostly. There is a less padded version (more narrow too at 140mm vs 150mm) called the Hybrid that I would eventually like to use but I have to say that of all the different SQ Labs, Ergon and WTB saddles I've think this SELLE SMP TRK really helped to resolve my saddle sore issues and while I'm still fighting some sit bone or nerve pain after rides I think I'm closer to being pain free today. As usual your "mileage might vary", lol. But I just could not find another saddle with the kind of comfort I found with the SELLE. The TRK model is NOT billed as a mtn bike solution (they call it "treking") but it works well in spite of that and costs $80. The higher end Hybrid model in around $120. and might be more suited to mtn biking (lighter at about 300g with SS rails) but I'm not ready to switch just yet since I finally found something that works for me after years and hundreds of dollars of expense. TIme for a saddle yard sale for me, lol.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles