Decathlon Rockrider E-ST900

Rockrider900

Nov 24, 2020
London
Oui, range updates , Also with mode Change.
Many hanks for letting me know. Mine must be faulty then. They changed the controller, but still no joy.
If you get the time, please could you let me know what residual ranges you see in the different power modes when the battery is fully charged?

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Many hanks for letting me know. Mine must be faulty then. They changed the controller, but still no joy.
If you get the time, please could you let me know what residual ranges you see in the different power modes when the battery is fully charged?
It's going to be different from bike to bike due to historic data.

Rockrider900

Nov 24, 2020
London
It's going to be different from bike to bike due to historic data.
Oh, I didn't know that. Is there a reason why historic data is used? I just thought it would be a value based on battery charge and power mode (that's how my est520 was). Unfortunately my est900 gives me a residual range reading of 9miles when fully charged regardless of the power mode, although I can obviously travel further than 9miles.....would just be nice to know what yours says for the different modes so I've got some sort of benchmark.
Thanks

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Oh, I didn't know that. Is there a reason why historic data is used? I just thought it would be a value based on battery charge and power mode (that's how my est520 was). Unfortunately my est900 gives me a residual range reading of 9miles when fully charged regardless of the power mode, although I can obviously travel further than 9miles.....would just be nice to know what yours says for the different modes so I've got some sort of benchmark.
Thanks
Because type of rides, ascend/descend , cadence, and other data is going to have impact on range .

DT36

Sep 17, 2020
S. Wales

Went for a 12 mile ride today on a fully charged battery. 26 miles showing on residual at start. 19 miles showing on residual at finish, which was about 1hr 15 mins later. Residual range was definitely updating along the ride, as it was decreasing slowly every time I checked it. Just over 2 bars left at the end of the ride.

Pics show the type of terrain that I was riding and all four assist modes were being used when necessary, as some sections getting to the top of the valley are very steep. Hard steep hillclimb initially to forest, then downhill and mostly steady trail tracks after that.

New Deathgrips were fitted and are really comfortable. Cost me about £17 delivered and would recommend.

What I also discovered is that the tyres fitted to the bike are absolutely shocking on the slightest bit of wet mud and forest trail. Very slippery both front and back. Will definitely be changing these out for a better all round trail tyre. Any recommendations?
Also a lot of spray coming off the front tyre and up onto my face, so need to fit a front mudguard. Again, any recommendations?

So, residual reading does change and decrease while riding. Don't think I would really use this function again though, as I would just look at my battery bars on the home screen.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Rockrider900

Nov 24, 2020
London
Nice views!
Yes I agree the tyres seem slippery. I was thinking of getting the schwabe smart Sam's for ebikes as an all round tyre.

I'm using the £7 decathlon btwin MTB front mudguards as they fit easily and keep mud and water of at speeds under 18mph... I'm using the topeak defender Rx 27.5 on the rear for full coverage. The front version didn't fit properly on the front unfortunately.

Regarding the residual range, please could you kindly check next time if when you change to a different power mode that the residual range changes to a higher/lower number automatically too?
For me it's strange that your bike showed only a 26 mile residual range at full charge....I would expect it to show more unless it refers to power mode 4.

Thanks

DT36

Sep 17, 2020
S. Wales
Nice views!
Yes I agree the tyres seem slippery. I was thinking of getting the schwabe smart Sam's for ebikes as an all round tyre.

I'm using the £7 decathlon btwin MTB front mudguards as they fit easily and keep mud and water of at speeds under 18mph... I'm using the topeak defender Rx 27.5 on the rear for full coverage. The front version didn't fit properly on the front unfortunately.

Regarding the residual range, please could you kindly check next time if when you change to a different power mode that the residual range changes to a higher/lower number automatically too?
For me it's strange that your bike showed only a 26 mile residual range at full charge....I would expect it to show more unless it refers to power mode 4.

Thanks
OK, will do.
Weather looks like the rain is holding off this week, so hopefully get out again.
I think though that the different power modes didn't affect the readings of the residual range, but I'll make sure to confirm.
I can probably do this same loop again without a re-charge, which will be interesting to see how much lower it goes.

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
oh I will tell you..any way there are some reasons to do this mod and some reasons to leave it as it is.
you can read about mullet in every forum or bike magazine. at the end it's up to you decide to change something or not.
in my case after left the 27,5+ i've gained agility but lost ability riding downhill. so i will try this mod spending less than a new saddle.

Last edited:

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
hi, est-900 friends.
let me suggest you this few changes to improve your ridings into the wet wild trails
vittoria e-agarro.
brakes xt
btwin flat pedals

I'm thinking of switching to this tire, currently running continental cross Kings protection2.3)
Want a tire thats gives more comfort .

Is that the 29x2.60 version?
Does it have any good grip in mud?
And how does it run on tarmac (as I want to run it as allround tire)

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
the mud of my trails is quite light( loamy), the tire cleans itself very fast. my trails are full of slippery rocks and this is the only case where i lose grip but I'm talking about uphill...on traction. after an initial lost of grip it rolls like a charm.

on tarmac it is very fast and silent. the stock one was so noisy due to the tire tread. the major difference is control especially during a fast curve (tarmac too)
29x2,60 is arriving for the mullet mod. the pictured ones are 27,5x2,60

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
the mud of my trails is quite light( loamy), the tire cleans itself very fast. my trails are full of slippery rocks and this is the only case where i lose grip but I'm talking about uphill...on traction. after an initial lost of grip it rolls like a charm.

on tarmac it is very fast and silent. the stock one was so noisy due to the tire tread. the major difference is control especially during a fast curve (tarmac too)
29x2,60 is arriving for the mullet mod. the pictured ones are 27,5x2,60

What was your stock tire?
How would this tire run compared to a nobby nic?

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
I've ordered my e-agarro tires to?
Good choice. To do my experiment I’ve ordered the front 29 no ebike version and I can confirm that is a different version.
returning to the mod I’ve came back to stem 60mm

Last edited:

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo

LoicR

Jan 8, 2021
Hook Norton, Oxfordshire
Just wanted to give my view on this bike after owning for a few months.

I bought one of these for my teenage Daughter so she could enjoy riding we me without worrying about the fitness required for hills. Everyone has their view on this but for me, it's about quality time together. Her passion is horse riding and I only see her once every two weeks, separated from Mother.... With an e-bike we can focus on fun rather than fitness training... anyway, onto the bike...

I looked around for ages at e-bikes and this seemed to be far and away the best value for money with a really good specification right out of the box. I particularly wanted a 1x groupset, quality air fork, plus sized tyres, simple display/control and good range. This was the only bike I could find with those features and more plus at a sub £2K price!

I opted for a size Small but did debate Medium as she is 5'3" and growing. Glad I went for the small as she only just fits the bike! and here is one of my criticisms of it, the standover is very high and can be an issue for less confident riders. Even I don't clear the top tube easily and I'm 6ft! This is probably the biggest concern about the bike and the one I would highlight to potential buyers, make sure it fits with the standover being so high!

Whilst on the Con's of this bike, bottle cage position! Who thought that was a good place to put the bottle cage?!? Next to useless being there, especially if you take into account my previous point regarding standover height.

Tyres are not the best and have zero grip once it starts getting slippy.

I think that is it with the Cons of this bike, pretty short list.

I really like it and more importantly, so does my Daughter. During lockdown we, like everyone else, haven't had many other options to get out as a family and do fun activities. With this bike we have gone out as a family at every given opportunity, and had lots of adventures together. I live near the North Downs and we can access from our house so have plenty to explore right from our doorstep. We also have access to a cottage in the Forest of Dean and been there a few times with the bikes and had many an adventure.

I would class that as a success and this bike has been a major contributor to that.

I'm really surprised with the quality of components you get for your money on this bike, Shimano 1x groupset, Brose motor, 500W battery, 780mm wide bars, good seat, wide rims and 2.8 tyres, tubeless ready (converted mine in just a few minutes).

Only item missing for me is a dropper post, not expected given the price point. Here is my question to anyone who has fitted one, is the frame stealth dropper compatible? Does it route over the motor? Can this be done with the motor in place? I can't find much info on this apart from a mention on the product page to say being 31.6mm, it's compatible with most market dropper posts.
Hi Andy, thankyou so much for this brilliant review. I am also looking to buy one of these (when back in stock) and I was looking at a Small for my 5'2" wife. I am also worried about the standover clearance. Is there any chance at all you could measure the distance from the ground to the point of the cross bar where you might be standing when not cycling? i.e. not the lowest point but a few inches forwards as I notice that the crossbar rises quite quickly. I hope that's not too much bother? Thanks in advance!

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Side walls are totally different. Any way for the front I can left that not E version
So i fitted my tires today. Its pretty weird that they allmost look the same on width.
Old tire is 2.3 vs 2.6 on the new one
20210112_153142.jpg

When i change from old nobby nic 2.60 to continental 2.3 the difference was huge

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles