Custom pivot link protector

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
You're so tight :)

It's always going to be difficult finding the "correct pricing" - it was a "suggested" price from another potential purchaser.

If you're not rigged up to churn them out, it's slow and costly - ultimately, he has to find a price where it's viable for him.

For the tight arses .. you can club together and buy an office water cooler bottle and cut that up to make several then paint them black with some old engine oil ... :)

Haha - I like the water cooler idea ??.

To those this aren't interested at that price. I fully understand. Tbh I never planned on selling it, and didn't design it as such. It was never about selling it just the challenge of solving the problem without using cut up mud guards or inner tubes, same for the water bottle cage I made in the other thread. The price reflects what would make it worthwhile for me to bother doing. Either way I am not offended. Don't mind if I don't sell any. Happy either way ?

I have a couple of other ideas coming also. Again not to sell but solve a problem and share with like minded people on here.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Follow what companies do is my suggestion.

I would say £20 plus shipping to start which is a bit expensive, but some people will pay it as want it and they understand there is a premium to pay for getting it early.

I would ship once or twice a week. Be upfront about it, people will understand. Put some thought into packaging to speed up the process. A good cardboard box ( consider the cost impact on international shipping with the shape and size of the box ), and printed sticky address labels for example. Think about how you want paying to speed up the process. My suggestion is paypal and just copy their address.

Then offer discounts when demand drops off, or you want a sales boost.

You want to avoid being too cheap, drowning in orders and feeling like it is not worth it

P.S I imagine you could outsource supply if you get enough orders. Less work for you , but less profit but might be worth it. This might reduce your pricing if it is cheap for them to do. Somebody like this for example. Lead Times | 3D Print UK | Fast Turnaround 3D Printing

Last edited:

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Shillington, Bedfordshire
Hello, personally I was thinking I'd pay £15 to £20 for 1, £30 does look expensive for what you look at, but these things are usually made by companies that make thousands, that probably cost them pence, not an enthusiast in his shed.
If I were you and before anyone else does I'd get a patent and get a company in Thailand to make you a thousand or so.
Also, how about using 3m super sticky double sided tape to use to fit the thingy, that's what I would use.
Good luck, I hope this goes far for you.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'd be interested to know the cycle time and weight of material consumed per part.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
For those infested I have made some tweaks, changed the logo to my own from Trek so I don't get sued ?. And have made it from a stronger and more weather and heat resistant plastic.

View attachment 55273
I like the new design. Could also keep in-line with my Lady-Gaga theme. (Jk).
I’m sure shipping would knock the price out of reach. There could be another way though.

Trekster

Mar 13, 2021
Colorado
Hello Gents,
New to this forum, but have been a lurker for awhile. Recently purchased a 2021 Trek Rail 9.7, its my first eMTB and its brilliant.
Here's my solution to the mud collection on the pivot. Not as slick as the 3D printer version, but it was easy and can be customized any way you like it. Its made from Kydex sheeting, which is easily formed with a heat gun.
Cost $10US on Amazon for two sheets, which gives you lots of extra for many uses.
Here's a photo. I have it attached with double stick tape, so the cable tie is probably redundant, but i like the security. Blocks mud perfectly.
Cheers!

20210313_110516.jpg

Rail97Rider

Jun 17, 2020
Pittsburgh
Hello Gents,
New to this forum, but have been a lurker for awhile. Recently purchased a 2021 Trek Rail 9.7, its my first eMTB and its brilliant.
Here's my solution to the mud collection on the pivot. Not as slick as the 3D printer version, but it was easy and can be customized any way you like it. Its made from Kydex sheeting, which is easily formed with a heat gun.
Cost $10US on Amazon for two sheets, which gives you lots of extra for many uses.
Here's a photo. I have it attached with double stick tape, so the cable tie is probably redundant, but i like the security. Blocks mud perfectly.
Cheers!

Very nice. Never thought of that. Is that .60 or .80 thickness?

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Tried the Kydex. Works very well. Ugly as sin. Held on tight with a cable tie and some tape for now.

Put the kydex in the oven for 10 minutes at 180C and then shaped it in the garage by laying it on a metal pole and leaving to cool for 10 minutes. Took 30 minutes or so from start to finish.

I might buy another 2mm thick sheet from ebay for £4 to create a better looking version that is better shaped to the frame and then attach it with double sided 3M tape but will see. I will probably keep this version on for the time being as it works.

IMG_1906.jpg
IMG_1907.jpg

Trekster

Mar 13, 2021
Colorado
Tried the Kydex. Works very well. Ugly as sin. Held on tight with a cable tie and some tape for now.

Put the kydex in the oven for 10 minutes at 180C and then shaped it in the garage by laying it on a metal pole and leaving to coll for 10 minutes. Took 30 minutes or so from start to finish.

I might buy another 2mm thick sheet from ebay for £4 to create a better looking version that is better shaped to the frame and then attach it with double sided 3M tape but will see. I will probably keep this version on for the time being as it works.

View attachment 56268 View attachment 56269
You can use a file and some sandpaper to smooth the edges and round the corners. Also , when its warm and pliable you can form it on the seat post so you get a custom fit with no edges sticking out. The stuff is cheap, so its easy to experiment with different molds and shapes. Good luck!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Actually, an idea has occurred to me that could use the skills of the cad monkey and 3D printer and the simplicity and low cost of the kydex sheet.

Use the 3D printer to make a buck for a vac former and then vac form the protector for pennies. Sell for £ rather than £££ and profit.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
I assume the 'monkey' is me is it ? ?

Interesting idea, thanks.

However not really something I would take up. As I said I was never offering the guard to sell and make money in the first place. The approx price of £25 was about giving me an incentive to actually go through the hassle of investing the time and expense etc rather than get rich by going into production !. These other options seem like a cheaper way of doing it for sure, happy days ??. I am intrigued that in reality the cheapest rail is 5.5k and even at that price a £25 guard is less than 0.5% of the value of the bike. Regardless if whether people want mine or a commercial avalible one (I am sure there are better ones than mine) makes no odds, but why save 0.5% of the bike value and strap plastic sheet, hacked up mud guards or inner tubes to it ?. It's like putting Halfords car mats in a Ferrari is it not ? ?.

Last edited:

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Depending on how many people are interested I can make some. As I have said it's £25 all in, posted etc. If no one buys and prefer their own cheaper solutions then I am perfectly happy as I said this won't make me rich ! but if people want them I can make them.

Send me a PM is you are interested in one.

Lee Brown

Apr 11, 2021
London
Decided to design my own cover for the pivot link to stop stones and mud getting stuck, quite happy with how it came out, looks more OEM than the mud guards i have tried to adapt. Should do exactly what is needed and look minimal.

What do people think ?

View attachment 54675 View attachment 54676
Hi Matt bumped into you today at deep cut. Really interested in the protector and bottle cage. How can we hook up? Lee

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Decided to design my own cover for the pivot link to stop stones and mud getting stuck, quite happy with how it came out, looks more OEM than the mud guards i have tried to adapt. Should do exactly what is needed and look minimal.

What do people think ?

View attachment 54675 View attachment 54676
That is a good one! There must be some room(as in the picture) between the link and the guard, right? Otherwise it will rub the paint off?
How much (in mm) link raises when air is taken off from the shock?

philuk

Jun 22, 2021
North Yorkshire UK
I found a file on thingyverse and printed a design out someone had done on there.

One option for you is to put it on myminifactory and charge for the download. You cant stop it being reproduced and sold after that but at least your getting something for your time!

The one i printed was for mine and a mates bike, Excuse the red its the only flexible filament i had. I will be getting some black to do one for my bike but from the rides we have done since then it seems to work mint!

bikeguard.jpg

Bpic051872

Sep 17, 2021
Damascus MD
I found a file on thingyverse and printed a design out someone had done on there.

One option for you is to put it on myminifactory and charge for the download. You cant stop it being reproduced and sold after that but at least your getting something for your time!

The one i printed was for mine and a mates bike, Excuse the red its the only flexible filament i had. I will be getting some black to do one for my bike but from the rides we have done since then it seems to work mint!

View attachment 72195
Interested

IanB-UK

Sep 9, 2021
Sussex

View attachment 72195
Could I get one of these in black? Happy to pay costs

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles