Custom pivot link protector

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Decided to design my own cover for the pivot link to stop stones and mud getting stuck, quite happy with how it came out, looks more OEM than the mud guards i have tried to adapt. Should do exactly what is needed and look minimal.

What do people think ?

20210303_105923.jpg
20210303_105811.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
That’s a great idea. Looks easy to install (zip-straps?). This could eliminate my rear fender and the buzzing noise.
(3D Printer?)

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
That’s a great idea. Looks easy to install (zip-straps?). This could eliminate my rear fender and the buzzing noise.
(3D Printer?)

Thanks, yes single cable tie just above the charge port. Correct, 3d printed. Yes no buzz or rattle like with mud guards.,??

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
I'm in! How much do they cost? Very nice design.

Thanks a lot, not really thought about selling it, but for sure I def think it's something the rail needs. I would likely need to remove the logo for sale so I don't get into copyright with Trek ?. I can def print more more off for sale and have lots of colour options ?

Rail97Rider

Jun 17, 2020
Pittsburgh
Thanks a lot, not really thought about selling it, but for sure I def think it's something the rail needs. I would likely need to remove the logo for sale so I don't get into copyright with Trek ?. I can def print more more off for sale and have lots of colour options ?

I am really interested in this. My buddy has a 3d printer and could make it for me if you're open to sharing your printer file :)

Not looking to steal your design but it really is needed for this bike. Until I can come up with something better I just have an old tire tube tied in place. Pretty ugly.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Yay, that logo might cause an issue.
Do you think the “Rear-Pivot-Protector “ might drift down? Maybe some small tangs under the skirt or some other method? Holes or a groove for zap-straps? (Just thinking out loud)
Or maybe it could snap over the lower post

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
i prob won't share the design only because i have shared designs before and got 'shafted' with people selling my designs on etsy !, and from what i can see they are doing very well from it ! haha. Obviously not saying you would do that !, just explaining my hesitancy to giving the design out. If enough people are interested i would consider printing some off. As i said i was sharing to just show how i got round the problem rather than for a sales pitch, it seemed like a problem screaming out for a solution other than hacking about with mud guards which i gave up on.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Yay, that logo might cause an issue.
Do you think the “Rear-Pivot-Protector “ might drift down? Maybe some small tangs under the skirt or some other method? Holes or a groove for zap-straps? (Just thinking out loud)

i am mounting mine with some thin anti slip rubber i have or some frame protector film which is grippy and will stop the slip and also protect the frame. It won't budge once that is on there :). I have matched the profile of the guard to the same as the frame tube so it grips really well and follows the contour

Last edited:

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
i am also consider extending the lower leg (shown here) once i know the exact position i want it, so it will sit against the bottom of the pivot and never move

Screenshot_20210303-150113_Photos.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
i prob won't share the design only because i have shared designs before and got 'shafted' with people selling my designs on etsy !, and from what i can see they are doing very well from it ! haha. Obviously not saying you would do that !, just explaining my hesitancy to giving the design out. If enough people are interested i would consider printing some off. As i said i was sharing to just show how i got round the problem rather than for a sales pitch, it seemed like a problem screaming out for a solution other than hacking about with mud guards which i gave up on.
No need to share the files. Sell it yourself and pay for your time and effort. You could add or improve on your design if you want. I’m not sure how to protect your idea with out it costing $$$$$.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
No need to share the files. Sell it yourself and pay for your time and effort. You could add or improve on your design if you want. I’m not sure how to protect your idea with out it costing $$$$$.

you can't really, i posted stuff with supposed copyright from the sharing site which says 'not for commercial gain' etc, but you cannot police it, best to just not share if you don't want to risk someone taking it and selling it.

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
I would be interested in purchasing one.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
it's all mounted up, will do a couple of rides to make sure its strong enough, right shape etc once it gets hit with some mud etc, i can then tweak the design if needed and offer it up.

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
it's all mounted up, will do a couple of rides to make sure its strong enough, right shape etc once it gets hit with some mud etc, i can then tweak the design if needed and offer it up.
? keep me posted please

Last edited:

Richiep

Jan 2, 2021
Tamworth
I would be interested for my Rail 9 XT when it eventually arrived the end of this month fingers crossed. It looks like a simple but effective solution so well done. If you keep me posted I would be happy to pay for one. Good luck with any modifications. It looks like the rain is returning next week so the mud fest will give it a fair test.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Thanks all for the positive feedback, I will get some rides in this weekend and confirm it works as expected. Did a quick spin up the (wet) road and it worked really perfectly at keep the water and grit away from the link and bearings, it all just flowed down to the tire.

Next check is some mud.....

Before I sell it I may see if anyone is interested in trying one for free and give me some feedback ?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Thanks all for the positive feedback, I will get some rides in this weekend and confirm it works as expected. Did a quick spin up the (wet) road and it worked really perfectly at keep the water and grit away from the link and bearings, it all just flowed down to the tire.

Before I sell it I may see if anyone is interested in trying one for free and give me some feedback ?
Rob Hancil (forum editor) has a Rail, he would be the perfect person to test it out ?

Karve

Subscriber
Jan 12, 2021
UK

Yep happy to link - ran a site, which had a reviews section ( Reviews of Mountain Bike component, protection & clothing. - heyday a few years back ) which did MTB reviews - so lots of experiance giving objective feedback.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
first ride with it tomorrow, will report back. I would say i will try and find some mud and water to give it a proper test, but being in the UK i won't have to look very far ! :p .
Yes you guys over in the UK must be great water & mud proofing product testers judging by some of the pics. I It's funny over here it's really frowned upon riding any tracks while they're wet but I guess sometimes you don't have a choice over there. Great looking prduct BTW.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles