Custom pivot link protector

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
IMG_00491.jpg

Well, seemed to work really well, didn't clean it off once during a 3 hour muddy ride so a lot of the mud and water falls off of it's own accord.

Will get another ride in tomorrow but looking good so far.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Just read the post about using an inner tube above and it has got me thinking.

Thinking about cutting an old inner tyre into a isosceles trapezoid shape patch. Then attach at the top like this protector does with a zip tie, and then pull down the inner tube to the two chain stays.

Not nearly as good as the solution above though !

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Well, seemed to work really well, didn't clean it off once during a 3 hour muddy ride so a lot of the mud and water falls off of it's own accord.
Did the Job and looks good.
Im gonna try and foresee any potential problems with this so I’m open to criticism.

One of the main purposes of this is to deflect rocks or pebbles away from the bottom pivot. A rock or small stick finding its way into the bottom pivot can be a showstopper until it’s removed. A rock or stick can also help build up even more debris in this area. Keeping this area clean before each ride is important and fairly easy as long as nothing is wedged in there. This deflector seems to do the job.
Small granulated sand can act as sandpaper when it’s wedged between two surfaces. Some of my concern is with the placement of the zip-tie and the flat surface or the deflector against the post. I wonder if there’s a way for small debris to escape or fall off during a ride? Invisa-frame helps sometimes.

My front fender wore off some paint until I removed it for good. A zip-tie on the lower rear triangle, keeping the hydraulic line out of the spokes, wore thru the paint and slightly into the carbon. Replaced that.
I think this is great idea and can rid my bike of a rear fender, which can cause other problems besides looking …(insert here). This little deflector is small enough and useful if we determine any potential problems when using it.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Did the Job and looks good.
Im gonna try and foresee any potential problems with this so I’m open to criticism.

One of the main purposes of this is to deflect rocks or pebbles away from the bottom pivot. A rock or small stick finding its way into the bottom pivot can be a showstopper until it’s removed. A rock or stick can also help build up even more debris in this area. Keeping this area clean before each ride is important and fairly easy as long as nothing is wedged in there. This deflector seems to do the job.
Small granulated sand can act as sandpaper when it’s wedged between two surfaces. Some of my concern is with the placement of the zip-tie and the flat surface or the deflector against the post. I wonder if there’s a way for small debris to escape or fall off during a ride? Invisa-frame helps sometimes.

My front fender wore off some paint until I removed it for good. A zip-tie on the lower rear triangle, keeping the hydraulic line out of the spokes, wore thru the paint and slightly into the carbon. Replaced that.
I think this is great idea and can rid my bike of a rear fender, which can cause other problems besides looking …(insert here). This little deflector is small enough and useful if we determine any potential problems when using it.

I have a piece of anti slip rubber cut to size between the bracket and the frame so it can't slip but also won't rub and nothing can get between both surfaces. I also ran a strip of frame protector tape all the way round under the cable tie. Nothing will rub the paint. That is always a concern for me. ??

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Thanks for all the positive feedback all !, I made the original post to see what people thought and it's certainly struck a chord with many.

I have sent one to Rob to check how it fits on a larger frame size (mine is medium).

I am obviously not a manufacturer so each one is made one at a time (takes about an hour to print). With this in mind i am interested to understand what people feel these are worth paying for. Not so i can maximise profit (far from it), but obviously for me there is a point where the time, expense and effort to print, package, go to the post office etc etc don't make sense and it becomes a hassle and a loss maker (i also have a day job :p )

So maybe anyone could say roughly what they feel they would be thinking of paying ?, then i can have an idea if this is workable for me.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Thanks for all the positive feedback all !, I made the original post to see what people thought and it's certainly struck a chord with many.

I have sent one to Rob to check how it fits on a larger frame size (mine is medium).

I am obviously not a manufacturer so each one is made one at a time (takes about an hour to print). With this in mind i am interested to understand what people feel these are worth paying for. Not so i can maximise profit (far from it), but obviously for me there is a point where the time, expense and effort to print, package, go to the post office etc etc don't make sense and it becomes a hassle and a loss maker (i also have a day job :p )

So maybe anyone could say roughly what they feel they would be thinking of paying ?, then i can have an idea if this is workable for me.
Well I'll stick my neck out if no one else will ? If a bent up bit of plastic from *udhugger is £25-£30 then I'd be happy to pay that for something made by hand by an inventive bloke in a shed ?

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
Well I'll stick my neck out if no one else will ? If a bent up bit of plastic from *udhugger is £25-£30 then I'd be happy to pay that for something made by hand by an inventive bloke in a shed ?

Haha, man in a shed indeed. I appreciate your comments also. I would be happy to make some, post etc for that sort of price if people are interested.

Thanks

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Sorry, but at that price I'm out. I'd rather be upfront than um and ah and ultimately pretend I can't hear you when it the time comes to cough up.

Mudhugger, Crud et al are businesses with tooling costs, advertising costs, staff costs, premises cost, etc. Injection moulding tools aren't cheap, especially tools for parts with with overmouldings, and molten plastic is surprisingly abrasive so the tools will new overhauling periodically.

I appreciate that you've put time and resources into this and I think it's a great idea but I just don't think it's worth 25-30 quid.

Right. Has anyone seen my flamesuit?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sorry, but at that price I'm out. I'd rather be upfront than um and ah and ultimately pretend I can't hear you when it the time comes to cough up.

Mudhugger, Crud et al are businesses with tooling costs, advertising costs, staff costs, premises cost, etc. Injection moulding tools aren't cheap, especially tools for parts with with overmouldings, and molten plastic is surprisingly abrasive so the tools will new overhauling periodically.

I appreciate that you've put time and resources into this and I think it's a great idea but I just don't think it's worth 25-30 quid.

Right. Has anyone seen my flamesuit?
You're so tight :)

It's always going to be difficult finding the "correct pricing" - it was a "suggested" price from another potential purchaser.

If you're not rigged up to churn them out, it's slow and costly - ultimately, he has to find a price where it's viable for him.

For the tight arses .. you can club together and buy an office water cooler bottle and cut that up to make several then paint them black with some old engine oil ... :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles