Custom eMTB Lite mode

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Bosh is going the wrong way, isn´t it!?
complicating rather than simplifying. :devilish:
Why so? You can always keep your 5€ 8bit nintendostyle purion and resist the evil changes that Bosch does developing their electric bike ecosystem.

Karve

Subscriber
Jan 12, 2021
UK
Good info in this thread thanks - If you like to pedal a bit isnt this going to be a much bigger drain on the battery than just having tour?

If its the same as EMTB mode then it will kick into max support (240%) from 125 watts ( i might be wrong on that figure) which is fairly low. I think id just be smashing round @ 240% support all the time, as thats less than a 1/3rd of my ftp! Its a nice addition IMO but not at the expense of tour!

I think it should have had a 50% – 200% range to replace tour rather than 140%-240, or...... not replaced tour at all and be an additional mode

I havent tried this but on paper If you ride a lot in EMTB mode it would seem to make sense. If you spend most time in Eco or tour maybe not so much?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I havent tried this but on paper If you ride a lot in EMTB mode it would seem to make sense. If you spend most time in Eco or tour maybe not so much?
If I accidentally change to EMTB mode during technical slow trail I notice it immediately as much more stronger torque. I would say that EMTB Lite is not just max torque cutoff. The power curve must be some way different.

You could update to Nyon MY21 and make your own assist curve.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Good info in this thread thanks - If you like to pedal a bit isnt this going to be a much bigger drain on the battery than just having tour?

If its the same as EMTB mode then it will kick into max support (240%) from 125 watts ( i might be wrong on that figure) which is fairly low. I think id just be smashing round @ 240% support all the time, as thats less than a 1/3rd of my ftp! Its a nice addition IMO but not at the expense of tour!

I think it should have had a 50% – 200% range to replace tour rather than 140%-240, or...... not replaced tour at all and be an additional mode

Don't be worried with battery drain in emtb lite.
I Get more mileage out of this mode than I did when I had tour.
Its an excellent mode makes tour redundant.
Don't know how they did it, witch craft.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Rode with the youngsters on thier non ebikes for the first time sunday , so far I’ve just been enjoying emtb on my own .
Using mainly eco was working quite hard to keep up at times more level trails , the low emtb allowed me to take it easy and catch up when I needed to, I really like how it feels and it was frugal with the battery compared to emtb

Spookyrider

Sep 20, 2020
York
Hey guys,

Just read this thread but couldn't see an answer. Can this be done by any Bosch service centre to my 2021 Trek Rail 9 (shipped with older firmware) as my nearest Trek dealer is a mare to get to :-(

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
I watched my dealer do the software update.
there are a few choices when doing the update. The choices for the 85nm update I believe were sport, emtb lite, or tour.
i took that as
-sport replaces emtb
-emtb lite replaces tour
-tour replaces emtb lite

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Aah, I'm trying to figure out if a NON Trek dealer, albeit full BOSCH service centre can do the update, thanks anyway
Trek seem to advertise it as thier own mode , like they’ve worked with bosch . I wonder if there’s some kind of copyright etc to keep it trek only ? Surprised your new model didn’t have it , when did you buy it .

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It arrived 2nd week in December but going through the Kiox shows software 1.0.2.0 & hardware 0.0.6.0
Interesting on the software numbers , I’ve not found /looked for that . Do you know what the update number should be
we bought 2 new treks with bosch motors in early January they both had little black stickers on the display saying emtb lite . I didn’t even know about this when I bought them , but I can feel the variable power in tour mode . I wonder if the dealer had updated them or if they came from factory already updated because both bikes would have been ordered pre Xmas

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I watched my dealer do the software update.
there are a few choices when doing the update. The choices for the 85nm update I believe were sport, emtb lite, or tour.
i took that as
-sport replaces emtb
-emtb lite replaces tour
-tour replaces emtb lite

Both my bikes have are running the latest software with 85nm, and both have eMtb, not Sport.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Hey mister,

That is the Kiox software, if you click on your bike icon just below that, then Drive Unit that is the motor firmware software there.
Under Drive unit says software version 1.1,2.0 Hardware version 0.0.6.0

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Sunday i took wifey on her power fly for a 30 mile ride mostly hard surfaces back lanes and fire roads ,but plenty of hills .
I did the entire trip in eco returning with 50% battery , she used tour mode mostly with a bit of higher modes on the last few steep hills and returned with about 40% left . So the tour emtb is certainly efficient

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Hey All, any riders in the USA that have gotten the eMTB lite ? I hope to take ownership of a 2021 9.8 XT in mid Feb and want to make sure the bike has this new coveted mode :ROFLMAO:
New Zealand uses the same version of the software as the USA with the 20 mph (32 km/h) assistance restriction and I've had it on my 2020 9.8 Rail since before Christmas. Do a quick check in a ride round the carpark at the bike shop when you pick it up and if it doesn't have it, get them to update it then and there; it only takes a few minutes.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Both our bikes had small black labels on the display saying they had emtb light , so look forward that in the showroom

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
I spotted on the Trek site a Custom eMTB Lite mode to replace Tour mode, has anyone used this yet? Is it a firmware update?
I took my Rail 7 in to my supplying store for a dropper warranty claim at the beginning of december, i asked them to plug it in for any updates and they put in the new emtb lite version(works like emtb but less torque) after this i ran out of battery on 3 rides!!!! :<( between christmas and new year and asked them if they could return it to its stock settings 85nm after explaining wot the sketch was, and now its back to big miles !!

I took my Rail 7 in to my supplying store for a dropper warranty claim at the beginning of december, i asked them to plug it in for any updates and they put in the new emtb lite version(works like emtb but less torque) after this i ran out of battery on 3 rides!!!! :<( between christmas and new year and asked them if they could return it to its stock settings 85nm after explaining wot the sketch was, and now its back to big miles !!
Wow! this is the first I've read of less time. Most reviews are more time. Was your finding using all modes or just the new one?

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
Wow! this is the first I've read of less time. Most reviews are more time. Was your finding using all modes or just the new one?
At first I thought it was brilliant , then I set off on a big mileage ride ( 35+ miles and 4K+Ft) climbing, ran out about 3 miles from home, luckily it was mostly down , but the last 20% was very little assist( felt like just eco)!
Other 2 rides couldn’t even get low 30s mileage wise before it ran out, I mainly run in eco/tour for big mileage rides , so I thought sod it ! It’s not for me , so had it putback to stock settings, and since then I’ve done a 36 miler and 4600ft in the freezing cold and got back with2 bars ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
So how fewer miLes were you getting on your regular ride. I’ve just been out to try and run my battery out just to see how it behaved in the last few percent , it nearly wore me out , almost 3 hrs of our hardest climes and descents in emtb and turbo Lots more than the old shimano
mine came with the emtb lite . for Me a slightly more powerful eco mode would be the way to get the most out of it I think

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Something is not right here. Actually nearly impossible to believe that lower torque/ assistant mode could ever cause this IF functioning correctly.

You or the LBS is mixing things:
- EMTB got 85nm update
- EMTB lite replaces Tour, not EMTB
- I have the impression that it’s not possible to downgrade the motor firmware.

What firmware version you have now?

My bike:
Display 1.4.0
Drive unit 1.1.2
Battery 1.10.1.0

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles