Cushcore Plus Initial Thoughts

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
I had the LBS install Cushcore Plus on my bike. I really didn’t need it for flat protection. I just wanted better small bump compliance. I felt I was bouncing off of rocks as I’m riding on rocky Arizona trails. I felt my forks were ‘stacking’ too much and making my ride feel harsh. My Trek has 40mm wide wheels in 27.5. My tires are 2.8 Team Issue XR4.

I had my LBS install the cushcore. They damaged my original rear tire during the installation and also damaged slightly the second tire and had to order a third tire. 2 weeks before it comes in but I am able to ride the second rear tire they installed.

On the trail ... I am running the stock 160mm Rockshox Yari RL with a cheap motion control damper. I think this is why I’m having ‘stacking’ issues. I thought about upgrading to the Charger 2 damper but felt the cushcore plus was a cheaper alternative.

Small bump compliance was noticeably better. I rode faster on very rocky terrain.

I’ll ride my wife’s identical Trek tomorrow on the same trails without cushcore plus installed and report difference in ride feel.

A0099D87-E514-4EAD-890B-61892B97F1A2.jpeg

Last edited:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Sounds similar to my experience. I also found I could 'rail' the bike far faster around berms which I put down to the tyre keeping it's shape. I run 18ish PSI & weigh 85 & found it great for small bump compliance along with one up carbons. Strange they damaged your tyres? Crappy stock ones?
I'm definitely throwing in a RC2 lyric into my yaris too. I used a shockwiz the other weeek which was interesting & all it really said that was lacking was HSC adjustment. I didn't reaise the moco is just a plastic hair roller - have a look at the installation vids

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
I dropped air pressure to 20psi. The Trek rode a little more plush. Not much better than 25psi. I then rode my Kenevo without cushcore with 2.6 tires on 27.5 with 200mm Boxxer forks and a better charger damper on the same trails. I was surprised! The Kenevo with the longer travel and better damper was just as plush. Identical small bump compliance!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles