Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 SL 2021 Chain Replacement Options ?

Jumpsuit

Oct 4, 2020
Cumbria
Starting to look at building up a set of replacement parts for my new arrival.

Got to admit im finding it tough picking a replacement chain of all things. The Spec sheet i have says its a SRAM SX Eagle but looking it all i can make out is SRAM. Looking online a SX seems almost impossible to find anyways.

What is everybody else running on their 2020/2021 Cubes. Should i be looking at another SRAM version or a KMC example. Is it something that i should be upgrading or is the stock SRAM unit up to the job, it seems fine at the moment ?

Any advice and experience gratefully recieved before i start throwing money at it :)

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
Starting to look at building up a set of replacement parts for my new arrival.

Got to admit im finding it tough picking a replacement chain of all things. The Spec sheet i have says its a SRAM SX Eagle but looking it all i can make out is SRAM. Looking online a SX seems almost impossible to find anyways.

What is everybody else running on their 2020/2021 Cubes. Should i be looking at another SRAM version or a KMC example. Is it something that i should be upgrading or is the stock SRAM unit up to the job, it seems fine at the moment ?

Any advice and experience gratefully recieved before i start throwing money at it :)
I had the same issue last year with my 2020 Cube SL625. There is no such chain as a "SX" the Bike shop fitted the NX chain when it was serviced

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
you will need to run a SRAM chain that matches the groupset

Jumpsuit

Oct 4, 2020
Cumbria
I looked at the GX and thought it was a good starting point with Solid Pins. Then i looked at the even cheaper NX and it also had Solid Pins where as the expensive PC-X01 has Hollow Pins !! Went on SRAMs website and cant find any mention of which are Embt rated.
KMC at least seem to list a X12 at around £30 but Emtb again not mentioned and you have to fork out for the e12 at double to get something with an Emtb logo ....... even though when looking at the chain the X12 looks more robust.
A SRAM GX might be the sensible option and just replace it more frequently ?
Im sure KMC Black edition has been recommended on here before but cant find any stock anywhere.

Jumpsuit

Oct 4, 2020
Cumbria
I'd rather keep it stock SRAM at the moment if I was honest unless there was an obvious weak point or a cheap upgrade
Although it only has a couple of hundred miles on it I have no worries about the quality of the SRAM gearchanges whatsoever.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
Waffle... You could run an X01 Chain on an NX Mech with a GX Shifter if you wanted
excuse my "waffle" I have no idea what your talking about and was quoting what my LBS said to me and that I must put a SRAM chain on my SRAM groupset. in other words "No you can not use KMC chain"

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles