Cube Stereo 140 Hybrid 2020, rear hub failure, Shimano FH-MT510-B

Craig24

Jul 24, 2020
Wigan
My rear hub packed up today, the cassette just spins, no drive at all.

Is this something I could repair? Never serviced a rear hub before, or will this be past repair and a full new hub required?

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
It may just be sticky pawls inside the freehub mechanism. If you can take off the cassette, a good spraying of GT85 into the freehub may free them up. (watch you don't get it all over the disc)
I don't think they can be repaired, if you have the right tools you can replace it but as Shimano stuff has a 2 year warranty on everything except XTR and Dura Ace (3 years), I'd try going back to the shop you bought it from and put in a warranty claim first.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Actually scratch spraying the GT85, there's a good chance that any grease in the hub bearings will get washed out and fail prematurely.

Speak to the shop you got it from first.

Craig24

Jul 24, 2020
Wigan
Unfortunately I bought the bike used so no warranty :confused:. I’ve taken the cassette off, just not sure how to take the free hub body off, on my old bike the hub body just pulled off (Hope hubs).

Craig24

Jul 24, 2020
Wigan
Thanks, that’s very helpful, yep that’s the right one. I’ll have a read through the dealers manual and give it a go.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles