Cube Hybrid Kathmandu Pro 625: I'd like to lower my saddle

FoxAdriano

Sep 2, 2020
Italy
Hi, I lowered the saddle to the maximum, but I'd like to lower it by an additional 2 cm. Is it possible?
I removed the saddle from its seat but I do not see this possibility.
Thank you

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Two options I see straight away.

1. Shorten the seat post. If the post is all the way in but still has some space above the seat post clamp it's simple to cut a seat post a bit shorter. Your bike doesn't have a dropper so it's not an issue.

2. Different saddle. If it's the same as listed on the website your bike has very very high seat rails. An aftermarket sadle will most often have much lower seat rails than your saddle.

Gordon.

FoxAdriano

Sep 2, 2020
Italy
Dear Gordon,I will try to shorten the seat post. I thank you a lot for your precious news.

A last question please:
It may happen that I travel only in the city for long periods of time. Then I'd like to replace this saddle a bit hard for me, with a much more comfortable one. I'm not young and my ass is different from those of 30 year old boys. ;)
I know I could also use padded shorts, but it would be too articulate for me.I like simplicity and immediacy.
Can you suggest me a saddle, comfortable, better padded than the standard one?
Thanks again one.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@FoxAdriano Doesn't your bike have a suspension seatpost? In which case you can't shorten it by sawing something off the bottom.
But why do you need to shorten it anyway? I know that you are new to biking because you said so on another thread. are you trying to have both feet flat on the floor when sat on the bike? If so, that is bad practice. It may feel safe and comfortable right now, but trust me on this (because I made the same mistake 30 years ago), don't do it! To get the saddle height correct, put your heel on the pedal when the pedal is at the bottom. Your leg should be straight. You should be able to pedal the bike with bot heels on the pedals and without your hips rocking. If they rock, reduce the saddle height. When you put your feet on the pedals normally, the leg should be in a very efficient place for pedalling. At the beginning, if you are still a bit uncomfortable, drop your saddle a little bit for a week or two.

You can buy soft squashy saddles but they are seldom comfortable for long. Sometimes the reason for the saddle being uncomfortable is because it is the wrong width for you. Go the the WTB website for how to determine the correct saddle width for you.

There is nothing wrong with using padded shorts, I would not be able to walk straight if I didn't used padded shorts of some kind. I prefer to use padded undershorts and then I can vary the actual shorts depending upon what I'm doing. These are what I use:

I would guess that the next thing you will be asking about is what to do about your aching hands, maybe they are numb or tingling. There are lots of causes (and cures) for this, so start a separate thread.

FoxAdriano

Sep 2, 2020
Italy
I'll leave the saddle like this, without lowering it further and I thank you for your info. If you weren't there, I would have had to create you to get this precious news. ahahahah

Out of curiosity: my wife has an citybike that costs half the Cube, around 1,500 euros. It is 26 ": https://www.atala.it/en/product/cult-evo-s26/ with motor 80 Nm (the same torque).
Yesterday we ran with all our strength on the flat for 100 meters and I couldn't keep up with my wife's Atala. In other words, whileI was pedaling with all my strength, I stayed behind for about 5-6 meters. My question is: maybe is my Cube engine faulty or does a citybike run more than an e-bike?

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
..........Out of curiosity: my wife has an citybike that costs half the Cube, around 1,500 euros. It is 26 ": https://www.atala.it/en/product/cult-evo-s26/ with motor 80 Nm (the same torque).
Yesterday we ran with all our strength on the flat for 100 meters and I couldn't keep up with my wife's Atala. In other words, whileI was pedaling with all my strength, I stayed behind for about 5-6 meters. My question is: maybe is my Cube engine faulty or does a citybike run more than an e-bike?

The city bike is designed to run on tarmac better than your bike. Your bike is designed to go on rougher trails than her bike. But let's assume they are both capable on the terrain you raced upon.

Assuming both motors are perfectly fine, there are several possibilities:
# Your wife may be fitter than you, or have stronger legs.
# She was in a higher power mode than you.
# Her tyres have a lower rolling resistance than yours.

An explanation of the latter:
#The tyres have a smaller tread and an easier rolling pattern.
# The tyres are narrower.
# The tyre pressure is pumped up high.
# The wheels are larger diameter.

As a test, swap bikes and repeat the test.

If all things were equal and two people rode the exact same bike, then the lighter person will accelerate away faster until the cut-off speed. Any gap produced by accelerating away more quickly will be maintained until one of you gets tired.

opaz

Oct 26, 2021
france
I'm planning to get a 'prostate friendly' saddle - basically a padded U shape - so the only point of contact with the saddle is the bones in your bum cheeks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles