New Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 625

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Hi all, I owned a giant fathom e+2 for 8 weeks and had a few issues. My dealer offered a full refund but also offered to exchange my giant for the cube reaction. I took the cube out for a test ride and decided to make the swap. I’m over the moon and hope I’ve made the right decision.
Any tips or comments on this bike would be very much appreciated.
Just one other thing how do I tell if it’s a 2021 bike or 2020 ?
Cheers
Dougie

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
If it’s called a cube reaction hybrid pro and has the 625 battery powertube then I’d put my money on it being a 2021 bike

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Hi Beekeeper, yes it’s the cube reaction hybrid pro 625 with the 625 power tube. The user manual says 2021.
I also have a slip of paper with the bike frame motor etc serial numbers with a test date stamped 10-09-2020.
I wasn’t sure when the 2021 bikes were built and when they could be sold.

Waynedance

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
Been looking at these bikes myself as I really like the look of them compared to the busy FS Stereo.

How are you finding it? I was looking at the SL model for the extra travel forks and the Nyon display.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Hi Beekeeper, yes it’s the cube reaction hybrid pro 625 with the 625 power tube. The user manual says 2021.
I also have a slip of paper with the bike frame motor etc serial numbers with a test date stamped 10-09-2020.
I wasn’t sure when the 2021 bikes were built and when they could be sold.

The fact that you have the internal power tube battery instead of the semi integrated power pack means it has to be a 2021 model. That was the biggest change for the 2021 Reaction hybrid pro. In fact every Cube e-mountain bike now has the fully integrated power tube battery.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
OMG, I thought the Giant Fathom was good but the Cube wins hands down everywhere. Out this morning and completed just over 33miles. Right away the Cube felt solid on the road. The tyre road noise was much quieter. Gear change was so smooth. And I could feel the difference on power on every hill. I cycled 33.6 miles and eco mode was showing 60 miles left in battery. I was mostly on the road with 8miles on a gravel track and a couple of miles on a mtb trail. On the mtb trail I I used the EMTB mode and it was amazing.
Overall I very happy with my first ride on the Cube and looking forward to many miles on her.

88DBB449-2D1C-4A71-8253-D2AF2BC29B05.jpeg

23B63D33-FF4C-41B8-80B6-EE3A7E96692C.jpeg

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
Looking good, got the same bike last weekend.

If thats Whitelees, i was thinking about going there today myself, but just went local after too long trying to fix a puncture. Those tyres are a bugger to get seated.

Only issue with mine so far is the key lock for the battery clamp seems a bit temperamental. Couldnt get it open the other day to get my battery fitted, only after a few attempts would it unlock. Gave it a dose of lubricant just incase, but keep an eye on yours perhaps incase they are the same.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Looking good, got the same bike last weekend.

If thats Whitelees, i was thinking about going there today myself, but just went local after too long trying to fix a puncture. Those tyres are a bugger to get seated.

Only issue with mine so far is the key lock for the battery clamp seems a bit temperamental. Couldnt get it open the other day to get my battery fitted, only after a few attempts would it unlock. Gave it a dose of lubricant just incase, but keep an eye on yours perhaps incase they are the same.

a bit of diluted washing up liquid around the bead helps and then I plug my battery powered pump in and at around 25 psi it makes a few loud bangs and the tyre pops onto the rim.
80641D4E-1CEF-4877-BAE0-6B1FE62CEA8B.jpeg

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Hi yes whitlees I like the run up from Kilmarnock around mtb track then gravel track round loch goin and back yo Kilmarnock. Range was awesome are you getting similar? The dealer showed me how to release the. Battery as there’s a knack to it. Something like turn key fully holding it then press button at top of battery to release.

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
a bit of diluted washing up liquid around the bead helps and then I plug my battery powered pump in and at around 25 psi it makes a few loud bangs and the tyre pops onto the rim.

Thats pretty much how i got it in the end.Some fairy liquid helped get most of it seated bar the last bit, then i pumped up by hand, it mostly popped on, then just ran the tyre levers around it a bit and it finally popped. Surprised i hadnt pinched the tube after all the mucking about, but seems good.

Hi yes whitlees I like the run up from Kilmarnock around mtb track then gravel track round loch goin and back yo Kilmarnock. Range was awesome are you getting similar? The dealer showed me how to release the. Battery as there’s a knack to it. Something like turn key fully holding it then press button at top of battery to release.

Range is pretty good yeah. Did 39 miles last weekend over Clyde muirshiel and up Misty Law,then back home via cycle paths. Think i had about 30 or 40 miles left according to the eco mode. Did burn through 1 bar pretty quick on Muirshiel and up misty law, pretty soft and boggy. Thought i was gonna run out at that rate so i pushed a fair bit of misty law. Pretty knackered on the way home, so was in tour/emtb most of the way, and i still got home with 3 bars left.
15 miles the day before, mostly cycle paths/roads, and i got home on the same bar that i left on.

Yet yesterday i did about 5 miles road loop, and a quick bit in through some forestry exploring, and used a full bar. Lots of soft stuff again, which seems to fairly drain it.

I would like it to show you a percentage, or even a half bar display, so you know whether you are at the top of that bar, or nearly onto the next.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Thats pretty much how i got it in the end.Some fairy liquid helped get most of it seated bar the last bit, then i pumped up by hand, it mostly popped on, then just ran the tyre levers around it a bit and it finally popped. Surprised i hadnt pinched the tube after all the mucking about, but seems good.

Range is pretty good yeah. Did 39 miles last weekend over Clyde muirshiel and up Misty Law,then back home via cycle paths. Think i had about 30 or 40 miles left according to the eco mode. Did burn through 1 bar pretty quick on Muirshiel and up misty law, pretty soft and boggy. Thought i was gonna run out at that rate so i pushed a fair bit of misty law. Pretty knackered on the way home, so was in tour/emtb most of the way, and i still got home with 3 bars left.
15 miles the day before, mostly cycle paths/roads, and i got home on the same bar that i left on.

Yet yesterday i did about 5 miles road loop, and a quick bit in through some forestry exploring, and used a full bar. Lots of soft stuff again, which seems to fairly drain it.

I would like it to show you a percentage, or even a half bar display, so you know whether you are at the top of that bar, or nearly onto the next.
Yes it all depend on the terrain your riding on for the range. i Haven’t looked into it yet but could the bike connect to the garmin to show battery percentage. I know the giant could.
I only collected my Cube on Friday so only been out once.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Yes it all depend on the terrain your riding on for the range. i Haven’t looked into it yet but could the bike connect to the garmin to show battery percentage. I know the giant could.

There is a Speedbox “B-tuning” device which gives you a readout of battery percentage on your phone. Download the Speedbox app on your phone and it shows you a demo

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
There is a Speedbox “B-tuning” device which gives you a readout of battery percentage on your phone. Download the Speedbox app on your phone and it shows you a demo
Thanks for the info Beekeeper. I take it you need to also purchase the speed box to get the info on the app?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Thanks for the info Beekeeper. I take it you need to also purchase the speed box to get the info on the app?

yes that does appear to be the case. It’s a pity someone hasn’t developed something similar for the Bosch without the derestriction function. It would presumably be a lot cheaper.
The info you get about power, cadence and battery state does look very impressive on the app.
however, it might lose it’s novelty value pretty quickly I think

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
I thought the 2020 model had the same internal battery?

Look much the same as the 2021 models.

your correct the 2020 models are pretty much indistinguishable to the 2021 models. I purchased the 2020 SL625 last November and apart from now being £100 more, 4amp charger from 2amp charger and Kiox display noe Nyon nothing as changed

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
upgrade you bike computer from Purion to either "Kiox" or "Nyon". the cost is well worth it. You get to see battery use as a percentage as well as a range of other features like navigation

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Here is a picture of the cube reaction hybrid pros over the last 3 years

2019 had old Bosch motor and semi integrated battery

2020 had new gen 4 motor and semi integrated battery

2021 has fully integrated power tube. So if you have a reaction hybrid pro and it has a powertube battery then it is a 2021 model. There is no other option.

7F706862-9BBA-4399-827D-FB3534B41655.png

E9DB85BA-AE73-4A79-B446-C325B8D4D960.png
FC36763F-D1D4-404B-9AC7-489FECB2AEAA.png

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
Identical to mine which is the 2021 version. No fancy kickstand for pictures here though, just some compressed sandwiches.
Need to get used to planning longer trips on this. This ride would have taken me a few hours on my normal bike, and i would have been knackered at the end of it. Instead i did it in about 1hr 30, back to the car park and a cheeseburger, then went exploring some forestry tracks to kill the rest of the day.
IMG_20200927_122547.jpg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Identical to mine which is the 2021 version. No fancy kickstand for pictures here though, just some compressed sandwiches.
Need to get used to planning longer trips on this. This ride would have taken me a few hours on my normal bike, and i would have been knackered at the end of it. Instead i did it in about 1hr 30, back to the car park and a cheeseburger, then went exploring some forestry tracks to kill the rest of the day.
View attachment 41003

I use an app called Outdoors GPS on iPhone and download OS maps to plant routes.
I use it so much ended up paying £20 a year to have unlimited access to all maps.

3EAEEA45-0568-40EF-8BE9-80910BF503D9.png

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
I use an app called Outdoors GPS on iPhone and download OS maps to plant routes.
I use it so much ended up paying £20 a year to have unlimited access to all maps.

I use Viewranger, forget what it costs, but gives me all the maps also. Some of the other apps look like they do route planning better though. Just got to plan routes better in that im still allowing for all the time id spend pushing my bike up the hill. Not the case anymore :)

Also, just incase you know offhand, Do you know what type of hanger fits these bikes? Can find a few lists online of what bike takes what, but nothing for these, and i dont see any writing on the hanger itself.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire

2021 has fully integrated power tube. So if you have a reaction hybrid pro and it has a powertube battery then it is a 2021 model. There is no other option.

View attachment 40995 View attachment 40996

View attachment 40994
View attachment 40995 View attachment 40996
Good work there Beekeeper. You wer spot on that I have a 2021 model. ?

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
View attachment 41003
Great landscape Trig. Where was this? Bike looks awesome just like mine. Did you purchase local?
out today again and another 30ish miles and cant stop grinning when I’m cycling.
I got fancy stand as a freebie with the bike ?

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
upgrade you bike computer from Purion to either "Kiox" or "Nyon". the cost is well worth it. You get to see battery use as a percentage as well as a range of other features like navigation
Hi I have been looking at the options of the Kiox or Nyon. Do they record route and upload to Strava or similar?

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
Great landscape Trig. Where was this? Bike looks awesome just like mine. Did you purchase local?
out today again and another 30ish miles and cant stop grinning when I’m cycling.
I got fancy stand as a freebie with the bike ?
Bought online, but they have a shop in Glasgow. Didnt want to have to navigate glasgow. Think the bike came up from down south anyway. Think i got lucky as they went out of stock not long after i bought.

The route is from near Killin. Approaching Creag MacRànaich – Gleann Dubh descent Loop from Killin | mountain bike ride | Komoot. Picture above is looking southish from near the top of the climb.

I posted much the same in another thread about the smiling. Noone warned me about that, and ive swallowed countless flies :)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I use Viewranger, forget what it costs, but gives me all the maps also. Some of the other apps look like they do route planning better though. Just got to plan routes better in that im still allowing for all the time id spend pushing my bike up the hill. Not the case anymore :)

Also, just incase you know offhand, Do you know what type of hanger fits these bikes? Can find a few lists online of what bike takes what, but nothing for these, and i dont see any writing on the hanger itself.

I’m afraid my knowledge on hangers is absolutely zero.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire

View attachment 40995
Bought online, but they have a shop in Glasgow. Didnt want to have to navigate glasgow. Think the bike came up from down south anyway. Think i got lucky as they went out of stock not long after i bought.

The route is from near Killin. Approaching Creag MacRànaich – Gleann Dubh descent Loop from Killin | mountain bike ride | Komoot. Picture above is looking southish from near the top of the climb.

I posted much the same in another thread about the smiling. Noone warned me about that, and ive swallowed countless flies :)
As you have read I got mine from local dealer in Glasgow in exchange for my faulty Giant. It had just came in as I was about to get a full refund......how lucky was that ?
Thatbroute looks awesome and great link to look for other routes ?
yes I’ve just read your other post about the flies ?

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
Hi I have been looking at the options of the Kiox or Nyon. Do they record route and upload to Strava or similar?
yes they record your route. They upload it to the Bosh e bike connect app aswell as the Komoot app. the Komoot app is really good for planning routes. you can create a route on your PC using komoot in a we browser then save it. When you start the ebike connect app the route will be there. You then click on send to Kiox or Nyon and it will appear on the bike. Old Railway lines around Rotherham | bike ride | Komoot

Untitled.png

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
yes they record your route. They upload it to the Bosh e bike connect app aswell as the Komoot app. the Komoot app is really good for planning routes. you can create a route on your PC using komoot in a we browser then save it. When you start the ebike connect app the route will be there. You then click on send to Kiox or Nyon and it will appear on the bike. Old Railway lines around Rotherham | bike ride | Komoot

View attachment 41026
Hi Jamy, thanks for this as it looks great. Need to enquire on a price and what’s involved on removing original and fitting the kiox.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles