Crestline RS180 Skid Plate?

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
I’m still in the early stages of CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) on a prototype but would anyone else be interested in something like this?

First versions will be heat-formed 1/4" Kydex possibly skinned with an aluminum plate bonded to the outside for extra protection.

If others are interested and I can get a pattern developed that will work without a bunch of fiddling, I will likely work with a prototyper to create a fully aluminum version but only if the $$$ makesense - not gonna speed $5K to make 3 of these things just for me (probably not lol 😂 )..

IMG_1113.jpeg

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Good idea. Definitely needs a bash guard.
Another approach is to find numbers then approach:

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
Wasn’t super impressed with what they offered and I’m in the US which makes it super difficult to just being my bike by for a measurement but yeah, something like that combined with what these guys are doing plus something that deflects rocks away from the cooling fins.

I’ll have a kydex/alu prototype in a month or less and then I’ll talk to Troydon to be sure it won’t impact the warranty before I go any further down this path.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
You've given it a lot more thought than me, and it sounds like a good plan. From R/C car durability, plastic chassis seems to work well at taking huge impacts because it can bend and spring back. This is probably way outside the scope, but as someone who swaps batteries every ride I don't love the existing cover, perhaps a redesign of this to be more durable and accessible would be good. Probably going too far though as the first issue is just better protection against strikes - excellent handling and good BB height comes with a price!

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
I had considered doing a complete replacement of the plastic lower but it seemed easier to go the skid plate route which actually makes replacing the battery worse. Not sure how to make that issue better…how would you want it to work?

When I was looking at the full replacement approach I was getting stuck on materials; I wanted something that was tough and light (and not just plastic) - I really liked the idea of a cnc’d lower with a replaceable Delrin “skid plate” surface but that gets me back to making a $5k skid plate for myself. 🤣

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I had considered doing a complete replacement of the plastic lower but it seemed easier to go the skid plate route which actually makes replacing the battery worse. Not sure how to make that issue better…how would you want it to work?

When I was looking at the full replacement approach I was getting stuck on materials; I wanted something that was tough and light (and not just plastic) - I really liked the idea of a cnc’d lower with a replaceable Delrin “skid plate” surface but that gets me back to making a $5k skid plate for myself. 🤣
Yep, tough, and my thoughts aren't exactly helping as they add problems rather than provide solutions.
Maybe we should see if crestline can sell a 10 pack of the standard ones 😁
At the moment mine is held on by one bolt and an Enduro strap. Looks ugly, but quicker for battery changes!

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
So for you something that hinges down (Internal hinge - probably a set pin) from the front, secured by a single "locking" bolt in the rear (where the back bolt is currently) would be better for quick switches? Maybe even some sort of captured screw/latch combo so you wouldn't even have to remove a screw - just twist the locking bolt to unlatch. How does something like that sound?

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
So for you something that hinges down (Internal hinge - probably a set pin) from the front, secured by a single "locking" bolt in the rear (where the back bolt is currently) would be better for quick switches? Maybe even some sort of captured screw/latch combo so you wouldn't even have to remove a screw - just twist the locking bolt to unlatch. How does something like that sound?
Yeah, that does sound rather good!

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
I’ve been interested, I've broken several Crestline plastic bash guards so far and have several new ones on standby. I’ve talked to Troydon about adding a stronger bash guard but he’s not sure it’s a wise idea to add the extra stress on the fastener inserts.(I agree) Plastic gives and/or breaks when impacted, while aluminum or stainless will not, but will transfer the impact through the attachment points. The rear mounting point is plenty strong IMO. But the front small fasteners into the carbon inserts could get damaged. I’d be interested in a stainless steel guard but NOT aluminum. (I have the ability to fabricate either) The jagged volcanic rock I encounter would dig/gouge into aluminum as a pose to sliding on stainless.
I’ve created a stainless steel bash ring for my Crestline that’s been working great! The 36T chainring hangs down just a little lower than the plastic guard and It would occasionally make contact with big rocks!

IMG_8049.jpeg IMG_8051.jpeg IMG_7878.jpeg IMG_7885.jpeg IMG_7879.jpeg IMG_7881.jpeg IMG_7882.jpeg IMG_7883.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles