Crestline ride review.

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
20230513_112621.jpg

Thought I'd give a first ride review of my Crestline 7550, seeing as there's so few in the wild and if you're like me you froth on reviews.

It's my 3rd ebike and first bosch powered one. My riding is heavily dh focused, I have a dh bike too. I actually loath pedaling lol.
My favorite trails are very technical, steep and fast track. Queenstown NZ is where I ride most.
I'm only an above average rider, I have enough skills to ride any track, but we're not seeing world cup pace at any time!
Enough chit chat about me, what about the bike?

I've got a size rh3, 475mm reach. (I'm 178cm, I like 450-470 reach).
The 7750 is the 180mm/175mm travel with Ohlins rxf 38 and ttx air out back (230x65) There's a flip chip which does flip chip things.
You can even be a total mad dog and throw a dual crown on. The press in headset cups give plenty of scope to change things. For example I have a - 5mm reach adjust (and a -10mm for a dual crown 😉)

Anyway all this is in the specs on Crestline's site. And every other review.

20230513_121105.jpg

Setup:
I ran it more or less stock, except for the -5mm reach adjust headset, 760mm PNW bars and Hayes Dominion A4's.
*These brakes are absolutely phenomenal, massive power, perfect modulation, easy to bleed, consistent bite point 10/10 recommend. I have some trickstuff in the mail, I'll be susprised if they're twice as good. The magura mt7 this came with weren't bad, I got the throw nice and short and they have good power. The dominions just gelled with me better.
The one up bar this had was great too, they rule. I have them on my other bike. I thought I'd try a bar with a bit more back sweep (10deg vs 8) to help with a wrist injury.

I think suspension was 120psi, 240psi and 230 in the shock (I'm 100kg) all pretty normal. I can't remember clicks haha.

Going Up:
Climbing is fine, the bosch motor is fantastic here as I'm sure you've heard everywhere before. Race motor is punchy. The little bit of overun is great for pedal strike situations. Which I'll add the 160mm cranks on this are a fantastic spec. Minimal pedal strikes if any today, so good!

Going Down:
Now the good bit. It goes downhill really really well. This is a downhill bike with a motor. I instantly got on with the bike.

Today's first downhill was super rocky, rough fast and with huge ruts from snow melt.
I knew it would be fine in the rough, there's a lot of travel there after all. What I didn't expect was how fast and snappy the handling would be. Pick a line, any line, change your mind, no sweat.

I've ridden a vpp bike before and I have no idea what wizardry is going on under me, but holy shit this thing turns. It snaps through corners. You can pump out of everywhere and it's super predicatable when it's on the limit.
Back to the suspension, i did a bare minimal setup. But was feeling pretty good and was easy to do.
This is setup dependant of course, but the bike just feels so racy. You can hit the rough at warp speed and it stays so composed and doesn't get flustered if you balls up a line.
The rear suspension has a real nice progression to it and doesn't feel harsh when you're going through the travel. I really like this.
Jumping wise, it took me a bit of adjustment vs my other bike, but had it sorted quickly. Very good in the air and plenty playful for an ebike. Also all that suspension sure is welcome when you give it too many beans and jump to flat Hahaha.
Loves the steep too, there's a few good bits where I rode with a steep shute into a catch berm at the bottom. Again the great handling really shines here, piece of cake.
Big fan of mullet setups (not the hair sorry dude bros). The butt clearance down the steep is welcome and I'm sure that and the not to stiff not to noodley chainstay contributes to the snappy handling.
And shout out to the wtb tyres on these too. I'm such a slut for the assagai dhr2 combo. But in today's conditions which ranged from snow, loose gravel, mud, clay and hard park they performed admirably. Super predicable slip!

Why did I buy it?
I'd followed Crestlines DH bike a little bit, seemed like a cool project. Then when this was announced I was immediately drawn to it.
Bosch race motor.
Cascade.
Travel.
Carbon/weight.
Ohlins.

I checked out the spec and didn't see anything I'd really change. The further I dug in the more rad this wee company seemed. I knew they were getting stuff made at a reputable company and had stress testing done etc etc. This isn't just someone slapping resin into some carbon cloth in their garage!
I fired them an email and received fantastic communication and customer service. Everything worked out awesome.
Which I'm bloody glad, cos it's a hell of gamble when you can't demo a bike like this.

So to summarize my quick review that turned into a long review. I'm a very very happy boy, totally stoaked with the bike. Only scratchimg the surface of what it's capable and plenty of things to tinker with. I know the price is getting up there, but I look at it this way: I spent more on my last bike including purchase price and all the upgrades and it still isn't as good as this bike out of the box. I expect to get years and years out of this bike and thanks to a bosch dealer network there's not alot of risk buying a bike like this either.
If anyones on the fence on these bikes it's definitely one to consider. The only thing I want to do to it right now is get another battery so I can ride more!

If you've got any questions I'm more than happy to give a long winded answer haha.
I've probably forgotten heaps and I'm sure grammar/spelling leave a bit to be desired.
I'll blame it on the fizz I have for this bike 🤷

Found some mud.jpg haha
20230513_141749.jpg

20230410_181736.jpg

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
I preordered the Crestline RS 75/50 Copper/Carbon! Counting down the days until I get to see it in person!
Troydon was a pleasure to work with, to get the bike and spec I wanted. So far I’m very pleased with their service, Troydon spent a good amount of time on the phone and emails with me.
I’m really hoping this bike will be the one to replace my current Gen3 S-Works Levo w/cascade long travel and EXT E-Storia coil……the EXT will be swapped over to the Crestline.
I’ve never ridden a Crestline but like the geo, specs and looks!

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
Yahoo! Stoked to hear all the great reviews. I've got a Copper/Carbon coming - hopefully next week. Agree about Troydon - great guy and I'm stoked to support what they are doing. Bike looks rad. Will be running the EXT e-Storia too so if any one needs a RS shock...

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Got the first ride on my Duralast Copper Top yesterday! After installing:
Ride Wrap (full frame and Zeb)
Vorsprung Secus
190mm Zeb shaft
EXT E-Storia w/Fox 30mm bearing
AXS dropper
XX Chainring
Magura MDR-P rotors
Nukeproof inserts / Schwalbes
I just installed Cascade calipers, also purchased the cascade lever cams but figured out they don’t work with the new Ultimate Stealth levers. If I can’t get these Sram Codes the way I want, I’ve got a new set of MT7’s to through on. I do like the clean look of the stealth levers though. I’ll be putting the Cascade calipers to the test soon.
The bike performs wonderfully!! Great climber and descender. Felt more playful than my Gen3 S-Works Levo.
The Bosch emtb mode has great power output, but I hate the crank/gear backlash!! (My fist Bosch) Very annoying going down steep chunk and when ratcheting over obstacles. (I ride very chunk). I’m used to my first emtb (gen3 Levo), NO backlash at all, with instant engagement… nice and quiet. I’m sure I’ll get used to the Bosch and I understand why it is the way it is…..I’ve done a lot of reading about it.
Overall this is an amazing long travel emtb for sure!

IMG_6448.jpeg IMG_6450.jpeg IMG_6451.jpeg IMG_6452.jpeg

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
That is AWESOME! Mine’s coming next week(!). Thinking about some of the upgrades you did so thanks for sharing.

Also running EXT - and fit issues? May order that fox roller bearing too if fits well.

Missed what size the bike is, mine is the RH-3. I was thinking of ordering a 170 AXS reverb but wasn’t sure if I could slam it. Is that the combo you have? If so - how’s fit?

Also - any issues running rear brake line? Not a huge fan of Sram brakes.

Thanks again - glad your stoked. Been riding Shimano, not familiar with the kickback you describe.

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
Brake lines are pretty easy, has in frame tubes and you just take out the screen to route through the head tube ports.

I reckon the 170axs will go a little deeper than the one up. Only by 10mm perhaps though. Just by not having the cable mech etc on the bottom.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
That is AWESOME! Mine’s coming next week(!). Thinking about some of the upgrades you did so thanks for sharing.

Also running EXT - and fit issues? May order that fox roller bearing too if fits well.

Missed what size the bike is, mine is the RH-3. I was thinking of ordering a 170 AXS reverb but wasn’t sure if I could slam it. Is that the combo you have? If so - how’s fit?

Also - any issues running rear brake line? Not a huge fan of Sram brakes.

Thanks again - glad your stoked. Been riding Shimano, not familiar with the kickback you describe.
My bike size is the RH-3 as well. I’m 6’-1” and the AXS 170 dropper is perfect, I’m using full travel with it as low as it can go in the frame.
The EXT fits great in the frame, as well as the 30mm FOX bearing. (See pics) If you purchase the FOX bearing I would recommend also purchasing the Fox bearing tool, which is used to remove and install it. Once installing the Fox bearing the only way to remove the spring is to remove the bearing. I’m 145lbs running a 375lb spring at 25% sag, Troydon recommends 30% sag, so I’ll probably order a 350lb spring to try out.
If you are a light weight rider I highly recommend running the Secus on your fork, it makes a huge difference with small bump compliance and mid stroke.
The Cascade calipers performed great! I’ll be sticking with this brake setup for the time being.
My second ride I didn’t notice the backlash noise as much. And I’m simply amazed at how well this bike performs. Its climbing ability is amazing! I’m climbing natural steep chunky tech that I struggled a bit with in the past on my Gen3 Levo. This bike is really exceeding my expectations!

IMG_6458.jpeg IMG_6460.jpeg

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
Thanks so much! I ordered the bearing, will get the bearing tool as well. You are taller than me, I’m 5‘10“ about 180. hoping the 170 dropper won’t be too long for me - should be fine as long as I can slam it - which it looks like you did. Based on that - going to order it tomorrow. Thanks again (all). Appreciate other info about the brake line too. Best, Rob

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Thanks so much! I ordered the bearing, will get the bearing tool as well. You are taller than me, I’m 5‘10“ about 180. hoping the 170 dropper won’t be too long for me - should be fine as long as I can slam it - which it looks like you did. Based on that - going to order it tomorrow. Thanks again (all). Appreciate other info about the brake line too. Best, Rob
I have a new/take off (from Crestline) Magura MT7 front and rear brake sets. I also have two new HC3 levers. If you are interested, let me know. If not I’ll be putting them up on PinkBike.

Last edited:

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
Those do sound interesting. I will hopefully get bike this week and can try the Srams. Don’t want to hold you up. Should know in a week or so. If you’d like to send some more info directly to me please do.

Chaboi

Sep 4, 2023
Wa
Awesome write up. It’s rad to see that this bike is picking up some steam. I bought one that’s yet to come in and I was curious if y’all who have ridden air and coil on this bike could describe the change in ride characteristics between the two? I ordered a super deluxe rc2t coil to try and was curious what you experienced as you switched from air to coil.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
I didn’t ride mine with the Ultimate air that came with it. I put the EXT coil on it before my first ride.
I am keeping the Super Deluxe Ultimate air as a backup and for when the EXT coil goes in for a rebuild.
Troydon(Crestline) thinks I should give the Ultimate air a shot just to see if I like it or not, since I’m holding on to it anyway, and it’s only two bolts to swap out……I may try it out.

samoaproud

Jan 27, 2024
New Zealand
View attachment 114445
Thought I'd give a first ride review of my Crestline 7550, seeing as there's so few in the wild and if you're like me you froth on reviews.

It's my 3rd ebike and first bosch powered one. My riding is heavily dh focused, I have a dh bike too. I actually loath pedaling lol.
My favorite trails are very technical, steep and fast track. Queenstown NZ is where I ride most.
I'm only an above average rider, I have enough skills to ride any track, but we're not seeing world cup pace at any time!
Enough chit chat about me, what about the bike?

I've got a size rh3, 475mm reach. (I'm 178cm, I like 450-470 reach).
The 7750 is the 180mm/175mm travel with Ohlins rxf 38 and ttx air out back (230x65) There's a flip chip which does flip chip things.
You can even be a total mad dog and throw a dual crown on. The press in headset cups give plenty of scope to change things. For example I have a - 5mm reach adjust (and a -10mm for a dual crown 😉)

Anyway all this is in the specs on Crestline's site. And every other review.

View attachment 114446
Setup:
I ran it more or less stock, except for the -5mm reach adjust headset, 760mm PNW bars and Hayes Dominion A4's.
*These brakes are absolutely phenomenal, massive power, perfect modulation, easy to bleed, consistent bite point 10/10 recommend. I have some trickstuff in the mail, I'll be susprised if they're twice as good. The magura mt7 this came with weren't bad, I got the throw nice and short and they have good power. The dominions just gelled with me better.
The one up bar this had was great too, they rule. I have them on my other bike. I thought I'd try a bar with a bit more back sweep (10deg vs 8) to help with a wrist injury.

I think suspension was 120psi, 240psi and 230 in the shock (I'm 100kg) all pretty normal. I can't remember clicks haha.

Going Up:
Climbing is fine, the bosch motor is fantastic here as I'm sure you've heard everywhere before. Race motor is punchy. The little bit of overun is great for pedal strike situations. Which I'll add the 160mm cranks on this are a fantastic spec. Minimal pedal strikes if any today, so good!

Going Down:
Now the good bit. It goes downhill really really well. This is a downhill bike with a motor. I instantly got on with the bike.

Today's first downhill was super rocky, rough fast and with huge ruts from snow melt.
I knew it would be fine in the rough, there's a lot of travel there after all. What I didn't expect was how fast and snappy the handling would be. Pick a line, any line, change your mind, no sweat.

I've ridden a vpp bike before and I have no idea what wizardry is going on under me, but holy shit this thing turns. It snaps through corners. You can pump out of everywhere and it's super predicatable when it's on the limit.
Back to the suspension, i did a bare minimal setup. But was feeling pretty good and was easy to do.
This is setup dependant of course, but the bike just feels so racy. You can hit the rough at warp speed and it stays so composed and doesn't get flustered if you balls up a line.
The rear suspension has a real nice progression to it and doesn't feel harsh when you're going through the travel. I really like this.
Jumping wise, it took me a bit of adjustment vs my other bike, but had it sorted quickly. Very good in the air and plenty playful for an ebike. Also all that suspension sure is welcome when you give it too many beans and jump to flat Hahaha.
Loves the steep too, there's a few good bits where I rode with a steep shute into a catch berm at the bottom. Again the great handling really shines here, piece of cake.
Big fan of mullet setups (not the hair sorry dude bros). The butt clearance down the steep is welcome and I'm sure that and the not to stiff not to noodley chainstay contributes to the snappy handling.
And shout out to the wtb tyres on these too. I'm such a slut for the assagai dhr2 combo. But in today's conditions which ranged from snow, loose gravel, mud, clay and hard park they performed admirably. Super predicable slip!

Why did I buy it?
I'd followed Crestlines DH bike a little bit, seemed like a cool project. Then when this was announced I was immediately drawn to it.
Bosch race motor.
Cascade.
Travel.
Carbon/weight.
Ohlins.

I checked out the spec and didn't see anything I'd really change. The further I dug in the more rad this wee company seemed. I knew they were getting stuff made at a reputable company and had stress testing done etc etc. This isn't just someone slapping resin into some carbon cloth in their garage!
I fired them an email and received fantastic communication and customer service. Everything worked out awesome.
Which I'm bloody glad, cos it's a hell of gamble when you can't demo a bike like this.

So to summarize my quick review that turned into a long review. I'm a very very happy boy, totally stoaked with the bike. Only scratchimg the surface of what it's capable and plenty of things to tinker with. I know the price is getting up there, but I look at it this way: I spent more on my last bike including purchase price and all the upgrades and it still isn't as good as this bike out of the box. I expect to get years and years out of this bike and thanks to a bosch dealer network there's not alot of risk buying a bike like this either.
If anyones on the fence on these bikes it's definitely one to consider. The only thing I want to do to it right now is get another battery so I can ride more!

If you've got any questions I'm more than happy to give a long winded answer haha.
I've probably forgotten heaps and I'm sure grammar/spelling leave a bit to be desired.
I'll blame it on the fizz I have for this bike 🤷

Found some mud.jpg haha
View attachment 114447
View attachment 114448
Awesome review Rob. Any chance of a long term review?

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
Awesome review Rob. Any chance of a long term review?

As a serial upgrader of bikes, 10 months in how is the bike fairing? Well I can confidently confirm that I love this bike still and wouldn't change it for anything! In fact, I love the way it rides so much I tracked down a Crestline dh bike for the perfect 2 bike quiver!
20231223_165635.jpg

Further changes I made since the initial review: Trickstuff maximas, axs dropper and ohlins ttx22m coil.

Things I've broken or had issues with: Not many things spring to mind except a bent mech and udh. User error 🤦‍♂️.
Oh i had a huge impact on the rear rim, instant flat. Crankbrothers wheels still spinning true!
I'm pretty rough on gear and I'm not light, this has coped well with the abuse I've thrown at it!

I think the conclusion I've had is it's just a confidence inspiring bike to ride. It does everything exceptionally well and doesn't do anything weird. Bike is very balanced and there's so much in reserve you can really get away with murder before it bites.
I think back to a ride in December where some friends with normal bikes wanted to do a couple of laps of the bike park. We all agreed to do a chill lap and then somehow agreed a double black was the best for that (lol). Anyway I went tearing in at normal pace and didn't think anything of the run, till the end when I thought holy shit, I'd totally not clicked or really adjusted to the fact I was on my ebike and not dh bike. Probably terribly explained, but these are that capable.

I like other little features too, like the charging port up high with an easy flap to undo /redo.

All the bosch side of things has been awesome too. One little trick I found when updating the software... The bosch system needs to sense all connected items on the bike. Controllers and batteries. So if you have a spare battery it needs to be 'charging' beside the bike to update aswell.

In conclusion, this is such a sick bike! I think it's a great investment that will last well and will still be a benchmark in years to come.

20231217_161226.jpg

samoaproud

Jan 27, 2024
New Zealand
Nice quiver there Rob. Now I don't have to wonder who nabbed Sam's dh crestline.
If youre all good with it, be keen to flick you a message re your crestline order experience. Cheers

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
I’m still really enjoying my RS 75.
I’ve removed the Magura MDR-P rotors and currently running 220mm SRAM HS2 rotors front and rear with Trick Stuff 840 Power pads……these pads are amazing, big improvement! (SRAM Code Ultimate Stealth leavers with Cascade calipers)
I’ve also added PINND 145mm cranks, which I’m really enjoying as well. Great for narrow natural rocky tech trails. Im guessing they wouldn’t be ideal for riders that are typically riding man made flow trails or parks.
I let Troydon with Crestline know that I’m ready to give him a deposit once he has a model with an internal gear motor! Unfortunately he thinks it won’t be until 2026-2027……hopefully Bosch has a MGU in the works 🤞🏻

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles