Crestline Bikes

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I hope they get a decent distributer here in England so we can get one with the confidence of back up.

Posvar1

Nov 17, 2022
Charlotte, North Carolina
Finally got mine complete and home yesterday. I went with a custom tune on the Ohlins suspension for my weight and the bike itself. Only had time to rip it around the parking lot and off some curbs etc. It’s going to be a beast. Feels super nimble in short travel with the front fork at 170 and rear shock at 150. Once I get some rides in I may go to 163 in the back by removing the travel spacers but will for sure keep it in short travel mode. This thing is going to be awesome.

The Bosch shift sense will take some getting used to. It shifts kinda clunky and not instantaneous compared to my EP8 Heckler. Not sure what that is about. May just need an adjustment

Posvar1

Nov 17, 2022
AA5A0D20-D868-423B-9B28-283F224C1DC1.jpeg

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Finally got mine complete and home yesterday. I went with a custom tune on the Ohlins suspension for my weight and the bike itself. Only had time to rip it around the parking lot and off some curbs etc. It’s going to be a beast. Feels super nimble in short travel with the front fork at 170 and rear shock at 150. Once I get some rides in I may go to 163 in the back by removing the travel spacers but will for sure keep it in short travel mode. This thing is going to be awesome.

The Bosch shift sense will take some getting used to. It shifts kinda clunky and not instantaneous compared to my EP8 Heckler. Not sure what that is about. May just need an adjustment

Bosch shift sense?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Bosch shift sense?
When you ease of the power slightly, in emtb for example, it cuts the assistance for about 0.2 of a second so your shift happens smoother/not assisted. Doesn't happen in Turbo when it just over runs. It still takes a lot of practice to make it perfect and it subtle, but it's there.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
When you ease of the power slightly, in emtb for example, it cuts the assistance for about 0.2 of a second so your shift happens smoother/not assisted. Doesn't happen in Turbo when it just over runs. It still takes a lot of practice to make it perfect and it subtle, but it's there.
Well I never knew that, but (coming from a motorcycle background) never shift under full power so I'll watch out for that tomorrow ...

Posvar1

Nov 17, 2022
Thanks. My process with the Heckler has always been to ease off the power and to not weight the pedals and then shift and go and it has always been perfect with essentially zero wear on the drivetrain.

Last edited:

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada

What? I own a Bosch motor and have even done some of the Bosch training as I work at a shop and I’ve never seen that mentioned before. The motor isn’t tied to the shifter, they don’t communicate to each other so how would it know that?

You have to time it with just how you pedal the bike.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What? I own a Bosch motor and have even done some of the Bosch training as I work at a shop and I’ve never seen that mentioned before. The motor isn’t tied to the shifter, they don’t communicate to each other so how would it know that?

You have to time it with just how you pedal the bike.
Sigh ! (In memory of Gary posts).

Sometimes I see why he used to get so frustrated when people embellish what you say and ignore your actual words.

Obviously you need to use the latest Bosch Smart Gloves. These have the wireless sensors built into the fingers to detect shifts and braking. If you have full AXS they will enable auto downshifts when braking and will reduce motor power when manual shifting. You can also enable full hand tracking mode and remove your shifters and just use finger and thumb gestures to change gear - the same can be applied to remove the AXS dropper lever. If you have the latest anti-lock system, you can actually remove the physical magura brake lever and run air brakes.

No, Bosch smart gloves don't exist. But if you're not going to read what I've written then I may as well just write sh1t anyway.

If you're too ignorant or lazy to accommodate the idea or search for yourself, then I'm going to be too lazy to bother finding the Bosch links for you.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Sigh ! (In memory of Gary posts).

Sometimes I see why he used to get so frustrated when people embellish what you say and ignore your actual words.

Obviously you need to use the latest Bosch Smart Gloves. These have the wireless sensors built into the fingers to detect shifts and braking. If you have full AXS they will enable auto downshifts when braking and will reduce motor power when manual shifting. You can also enable full hand tracking mode and remove your shifters and just use finger and thumb gestures to change gear - the same can be applied to remove the AXS dropper lever. If you have the latest anti-lock system, you can actually remove the physical magura brake lever and run air brakes.

No, Bosch smart gloves don't exist. But if you're not going to read what I've written then I may as well just write sh1t anyway.

If you're too ignorant or lazy to accommodate the idea or search for yourself, then I'm going to be too lazy to bother finding the Bosch links for you.

Try relaxing a little, otherwise you might end up like Gary.

The eShift feature on the Bosch CX-performance electric bicycle system is designed to temporarily reduce the level of assistance provided by the motor during gear shifts. This reduction in assistance can make it easier for the rider to shift gears smoothly and efficiently, especially when shifting under load or on steep inclines.

So it doesn’t really “cut” the assistance by 0.2secs.

eShift also works when you’re in turbo mode according to Bosch.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Anyways, Bosch for the win.
For most riders - who've already learnt to ease off for shifting (in turn causing the motor to ease off) they probably won't notice it, as you're already reducing the force by the amount you've learnt is necessary.

For people who just bang through under power, they won't notice it - because if you don't ease up at all, it won't detect that to reduce the power.

It didn't used to apply it in Turbo, so presumably they've updated things so it does it there too in some degree - though with the longer over run, it would be interesting to know what they've changed. I suspect it won't apply to race mode :)

Posvar1

Nov 17, 2022
For most riders - who've already learnt to ease off for shifting (in turn causing the motor to ease off) they probably won't notice it, as you're already reducing the force by the amount you've learnt is necessary.

For people who just bang through under power, they won't notice it - because if you don't ease up at all, it won't detect that to reduce the power.

It didn't used to apply it in Turbo, so presumably they've updated things so it does it there too in some degree - though with the longer over run, it would be interesting to know what they've changed. I suspect it won't apply to race mode :)
I am hoping I just had a bad day when I picked it up and rode it in the parking lot. Raining now for days so no riding. Been on ebikes for three years but all have been Shimano. Will try again this week.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada

Just two other points on eShift.

The eShift feature on the Bosch CX-performance electric bicycle system needs to be enabled in the software in order to work. It’s not automatically enabled by default, but it can be turned on by the ebike manufacturer or by a qualified technician.

And lastly it’s important to note that not all ebikes with Bosch CX-performance motor systems have the eShift feature, as it is an optional feature that must be enabled by the manufacturer. Some ebikes with Bosch CX-performance motor systems may use other electronic shifting systems, such as SRAM eTap or Campagnolo EPS, which may not be fully compatible with the eShift feature. In these cases, the manufacturer may need to provide additional customization or programming to ensure that the eShift feature works correctly.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think we're confusing shift sensing, which has been on the Bosch motors for at least 8 years with "eshift" which is designed to work in conjunction with electronic gear shifting and some manual shifting solutions - some IGH's won't shift whilst under power (Shimano have also introduced something similar to eshift) :

Shift sensing works by monitoring chain tension through the torque sensor to enable smoother changes, smoother hopefully than we manage alone (identifying more than just the variation in torque which will occur with different crank position) . Not only does it ease back on the power, but it also rapidly increases the power again once it presumes the shift has been made. I'm still pretty sure this doesn't work in Turbo, but accept it might have been added though I'm not sure how it would work.

How much this actually translates into real world usability and reduced drive train wear is difficult to say, as we ease off anyway, which in turn will reduce motor output. For me, when gunning it uphill in EMTB or Turbo, the difference is vast, though the overrun time is longer in Turbo anyway.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Really like the look of the Crestline. I hope Blenki has his at crankworks next week so I can see one in the flesh. Until then I will have to stay happy with my 200 f 185 r Cannondale frakenbike

Screenshot_20230313-201158_Gallery.jpg

Posvar1

Nov 17, 2022
Just got mine out today for the first proper ride. Hands down this is the hardest charging mountain bike I’ve ever owned. It just wants to destroy everything in its path. And it’s no slouch in the technical and tight areas either. I really like the power delivery of the Bosch system. I did 9 miles today and it was incredible. The Ohlins suspension is extremely nice. Downhill this thing is fast! Smooth and confidence inspiring too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles