commencal 2021

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Is it just me but is the SX a better bike than the 29 Essential? I want the

I was ready to pull the trigger on a 29 Team at or around the old price. Now it's gone up by that much?

New motor looks the goods too apart from the noise when free wheeling. I thought the 29 team was a shoe in. Now i'm back looking at Levo's and Decoys...
If you're under 6 foot something get a mullet bike. They are the future.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
This Commencal 2021 Power thing is very interesting. The head tube angle gone too far? Wheelbase even longer? I have no doubt Commencal knows their bikes, and have adapted to the ep8 in quick fashion... just wondering why not go a little more traditional modern? Is this bike going too cutting edge at 63.5 and super steep seat angle? Personally like the bike, just wouldn't buy personally without a very long test ride.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Want to buy my Decoy 29 then?
Before I owned an ebike I thought that travel would be perfect. Now I want 160/170 range to be able to plow and smash through anything.
Awe, I hear the Decoy 29 is sweet. I owned a Decoy Mullet, and sold it for more than I had into it. I was actually waiting for better battery life and yes, the ep8. Think it will be more like the equivalent of the the Levo 700wh as the new motor is more efficient. Think I will go down and ride a Decoy mullet and 29 before I just get another. The proof may be in the test ride and heck, Commencal may have the perfect geo we just need to be ok with the new numbers.

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
Want to buy my Decoy 29 then?
Before I owned an ebike I thought that travel would be perfect. Now I want 160/170 range to be able to plow and smash through anything.
Where do you live? Lol.

I actually ordered a Decoy Pro 29 back when they were available and YT screwed up and didn't actually have the inventory the website showed, so my order was cancelled. Wish they offered a bigger battery too.

My current acoustic bike is 125/140mm and I can keep up with most of the enduro bros. I demo'd a Santa Cruz Megatower (170/180mm) and didn't love the monster truck/plow over everything by style of riding. It's confidence inspiration and you can get away with any line choice, but I think I like the snappier, more playful 140/150mm travel range.

Maybe an ebike is different... Hmmm.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Signature vs Team about $700 more here in US. XT and Fox factory vs SRAM GX and Rockshox ZEB ultimate. Hmmm

Seems to me that Rockshox are easier to adjust in general than Fox, but I've never ridden Factory. RSC vs XT 4 caliper? XT shifter vs SRAM? "Rob" seems to prefer the XT shifter on his latest video above all others. I may need to find a local test drive from trek etc to check out XT.

So if the tooth fairy gave you the extra bucks for the Signature (and no you cant keep it to buy more weed), which version would you choose?

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Where do you live? Lol.

I actually ordered a Decoy Pro 29 back when they were available and YT screwed up and didn't actually have the inventory the website showed, so my order was cancelled. Wish they offered a bigger battery too.

My current acoustic bike is 125/140mm and I can keep up with most of the enduro bros. I demo'd a Santa Cruz Megatower (170/180mm) and didn't love the monster truck/plow over everything by style of riding. It's confidence inspiration and you can get away with any line choice, but I think I like the snappier, more playful 140/150mm travel range.

Yes you may like the longer travel when you have 55lbs of bike coming in for a landing...

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
So if the tooth fairy gave you the extra bucks for the Signature (and no you cant keep it to buy more weed), which version would you choose?
I have both Rockshox/SRAM Meta 27.5 and Fox/Shimano Meta 29 - will go with Signature again, assuming both builds will be available at the same time. If not - will go with whichever is available sooner.

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
I had a '19 Meta Power 29 and now have a '20 Meta Power 29. The '20 is superior in every way for legitimate mountain biking IMO. The new bike will be really good.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
I have both Rockshox/SRAM Meta 27.5 and Fox/Shimano Meta 29 - will go with Signature again, assuming both builds will be available at the same time. If not - will go with whichever is available sooner.
So you prefer Fox/Shimano then? Any specific reasons for the preference?

noblige

Aug 30, 2020
California
Brakes - I feel these work better in steep/high speed setting (comparing 2-piston XT vs Guide), easier maintenance (mineral oil plus no need to fuss with two syringes). Fork/Shock - honestly: mostly for Kashima looks :)

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Signature vs Team about $700 more here in US. XT and Fox factory vs SRAM GX and Rockshox ZEB ultimate. Hmmm

Seems to me that Rockshox are easier to adjust in general than Fox, but I've never ridden Factory. RSC vs XT 4 caliper? XT shifter vs SRAM? "Rob" seems to prefer the XT shifter on his latest video above all others. I may need to find a local test drive from trek etc to check out XT.

Team. Would pay extra for Team.

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California

haven't ridden Zebs or 38s yet but have had a fox 40 & float X2 for years & appreciate independent HSC/LSC & HSR/LSR to soak up the big drops with more HSC+HSR while keeping the bike plush on the small stuff with less LSC+LSR.

I also far prefer the XT drivetrain vs GX, the top of the GX cassette goes 28,32,36,42,52 ie +4,+4,+6,+10--a huge 10t jump from the 42 to the 52 which imo looks like a bizarre hack & feels like you're missing a gear between.
XT goes 28-33-39-45-51 ie +5,+6,+6,+6 which is a more gradual & useable spread imo--especially if you're doing long alpine rides mostly in eco mode using all those small gears to maximize your range.

XT cassette might last a little longer too, no experience. & when you need to replace it, XT 10-51 is $160 US, LX 10-51 is only $100 US.
sram GX 10-52 is $215 & no cheaper option.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Shimano better address this loud "Clunking" issue with the new EP8 or many will turn elsewhere. Many reviews say its a major issue

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Where do you live? Lol.

It won’t be for sale until after I have replaced it with another ebike. At first I wasn’t a believer, but after a couple months on the ebike I don’t want to ride my normal bike anymore.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
If the Team and Signature were the same price I would go with Signature because I prefer fox suspension and the frame color better. But since they are not, I think I’d go with Team.

Dropper post: I prefer fox much better. I haven’t ridden the one on the Team addition, but for me 175mm transfer is top tier.

Brakes: I always prefer Shimano over Sram, but in this case I would be replacing either option for Saints/Zees most likely. I have used those on all my previous bikes, as well as my current enduro, and would want my brakes to be the same. I think Code RSC will resale for more than XT’s so I give the Team model the win here. I don’t care about rotors.

Fork: I have a 38 on my Enduro and love it, but do want to try the Zeb. I’d prefer the 38 just to have consistency between bikes, but not a deal breaker as I’m sure a Zeb is good as well.

Shock: Same exact comment as above. I have the float x2 and love i but I have no problem with a SD ultimate.

Drivetrain: I have both right now and they both work fine. I give the slight edge to Eagle just because I love the lockout button on the der. Also would be nice to only have 1 drivetrain brand to worry about.

Frame: I prefer Signature frame color a lot better. My two current bikes are black and white, I don’t really want a another black/white bike.

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Shimano better address this loud "Clunking" issue with the new EP8 or many will turn elsewhere.
To what though? Bosch has the same issue, Specialized are not exactly known for their reliability, Yamaha have water ingress issues. What am I missing? Brose (non-Specialized variants), Rocky Mountain?

Crush

Jun 22, 2018
Australia
Really Disappointed there isn’t a battery extender option... the norco and mondraker can get you to Almost 1000wh.

total missed opportunity imo.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Really Disappointed there isn’t a battery extender option... the norco and mondraker can get you to Almost 1000wh.

total missed opportunity imo.
Commencal bike is already super heavy. I personally would not want to ride a 60lbs bike around. I do want to get 2 batteries though for my next ebike.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
I heard that Bosch noise was early production issue and is now better? Several reviews now mention how loud and annoying the EP8 clattering is compared to all other motors, so I would think its quite an issue compared to 8000

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
I heard that Bosch noise was early production issue and is now better? Several reviews now mention how loud and annoying the EP8 clattering is compared to all other motors, so I would think its quite an issue compared to 8000
I share the same concern. I'm second guessing purchasing the first production models of the EP8. Might be worth it to wait a few months to see if the Commencal reviews pick up the same rattling noise or to see if Shimano fixes or improves the rattling.

Rob's video at 6:51 has me worried. This would drive me nuts:

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
A friend talked with a US rep for Commencal and he said they aren’t taking orders because of a problem with the EP8 motors that may warrant a total recall.

That’s not exactly confidence inspiring. But at the end of the day, I would like my ebike to not sound like a bucket of bolts going down the trail.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles