commencal 2021

Woody12

Jul 18, 2020
Australia
I'm in the same boat. Rail 9.8 vs Meta Team. Rail is carbon fiber and $1.5k more, meta better spec, Rail 5 lbs lighter.....also leaning Meta due to spec and looks
It’s a hard decision. The essential for $10k aussie or $12k for the signature which has the spec I would likely end up with down the track anyway.... in for a penny in for a pound may be the best way to approach this ?

Matt_Rider

Jul 13, 2020
Melbourne Australia
Is it just me but is the SX a better bike than the 29 Essential? I want the
It’s a hard decision. The essential for $10k aussie or $12k for the signature which has the spec I would likely end up with down the track anyway.... in for a penny in for a pound may be the best way to approach this ?

I was ready to pull the trigger on a 29 Team at or around the old price. Now it's gone up by that much?

New motor looks the goods too apart from the noise when free wheeling. I thought the 29 team was a shoe in. Now i'm back looking at Levo's and Decoys...

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
I was ready to pull the trigger on a 29 Team at or around the old price. Now it's gone up by that much?

New motor looks the goods too apart from the noise when free wheeling. I thought the 29 team was a shoe in. Now i'm back looking at Levo's and Decoys...

Same here. Was pretty sure my new bike would be new Shimano and probably Commencal. With the pricing and sound it will probably be Levo again.

Bogdan_CH

Apr 22, 2020
Oradea, Romania
Us prices are decent but euro ones went through the roof by 20% more (€1200 extra for team) . Pricing in Europe is just crazy :

58FCB871-E6FF-4F54-8B45-011FA032CD20.jpeg 20CD55B6-074C-4E2A-8068-58AFB616BA19.jpeg

Woody12

Jul 18, 2020
Australia
Just browsing the Merida site and The 2021 e160 8000, ep8, carbon frame with a nice build spec is listed at $8999 aud. Seems like a more realistic price point.

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
Us prices are decent but euro ones went through the roof by 20% more (€1200 extra for team) . Pricing in Europe is just crazy :

That was my reaction. The entry level bike is €1,000 more than the 2020 entry level bike although 38 instead of 36 but Deore chain and cassette plus still no DT Swiss wheels at that price, come on.
Will be interesting to see where other brands price their EP8 2021 bikes, and particularly YT.

Duggan

Feb 20, 2019
Isle of Man
Just been having a skeet, the equivalent spec 27 SX to the last year is about £1000 more expensive ? it does have the Zeb ultimate’s and the new motor and battery etc....
But personally don’t think it has the wow ? factor of either of the 2020 models, both the Sx and Sx signature look incredible.

Last edited:

Frirish

Aug 19, 2020
Carlow, Ireland
That was my reaction. The entry level bike is €1,000 more than the 2020 entry level bike although 38 instead of 36 but Deore chain and cassette plus still no DT Swiss wheels at that price, come on.
Will be interesting to see where other brands price their EP8 2021 bikes, and particularly YT.
I can bet you the Decoy will get at least a €500 price increase ...
Was looking forward to Commencal new release, but I will be holding on YT, Propain next annoncement and still hope Nukeproof and Vitus will release something (they are usually well place price-wise)

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
Yes agreed they will align but if the increase is limited to €500 that should give YT quite an advantage.

Zedaspedras

Aug 11, 2020
Portugal

The difference in spec from a 36 and a 38 and lyrik to zeb can't ever justify the inflation. They cost about the same...

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
I have the YT Decoy elite ordered but the assembly/ dispatch time keeps going back (now mid October from mid August).

With the decoy having the older Shimano motor, I can't help but think about cancelling my order and getting a Commy with the newer motor..... Hmmm

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I have the YT Decoy elite ordered but the assembly/ dispatch time keeps going back (now mid October from mid August).

With the decoy having the older Shimano motor, I can't help but think about cancelling my order and getting a Commy with the newer motor..... Hmmm

Or wait for the new YT

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
propain ekano site with pricing is up fyi
forum thread at Propain Ekano - EMTB Forums
27.5, mullet or 29er options
165mm rear travel, 170 front travel
**absolute dealbreaker for me would be 504Wh battery only, no 630Wh option

i added the 29er only to Geometry Geeks which is great to compare geometry between several bikes.
e.g. this url compares 2021 Trek Rail, 2021 Levo Expert, 2021 Propain 29er, 2021 Meta Power 29 in recommended sizes for 185cm height:

in general metapower 29 has longer wheelbase, slacker HTA, much steeper STA, lower stack, higher BB height than Levo & Trek.
can't wait to ride the metapower & feel how the steep STA climbs/pedals, & how the seat position feels relative to the bars/reach.

the metapower's high BB & 160mm cranks are a selling point for me too, coming off a Nomad 3 27.5 which has a low BB & 175mm cranks, you basically have to skip/ratchet pedal through anything chunky & really mind your pedals on landings/descents.

Bogdan_CH

Apr 22, 2020
Oradea, Romania
If the 630w battery is a deal breaker and if you don't want the supper aggressive, there is a new Centurion bike out there with coil and they look sick with the new motor.

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Damn, the Propain Ekano with possibility to choose components would be really nice if it only had 630 kWh battery.

Bogdan_CH

Apr 22, 2020
Oradea, Romania
Damn, the Propain Ekano with possibility to choose components would be really nice if it only had 630 kWh battery.

You ride with people that do very long tracks? Or go on a lot of elevation gain? I've been using a while a Jam2 with 378w battery and while it's not the greatest on long trips but still managed 1200 meters of elevations or on decent climbing at least 50 km's out of the standard battery. People always want the biggest, but to they really need it?

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
You ride with people that do very long tracks? Or go on a lot of elevation gain? I've been using a while a Jam2 with 378w battery and while it's not the greatest on long trips but still managed 1200 meters of elevations or on decent climbing at least 50 km's out of the standard battery. People always want the biggest, but to they really need it?

Yes. Levo with 504 kWh now and would like more.

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
New to ebikes coming from Moto. Not sure on the specs and $ difference. I'm in the US so privces seem ok. With this being my first bite ebike purchase what spec 29r would you go for based on components.....mostly what I see is the ability to adjust the fork and shock with comp instead of only spring rate and rebound. In CO so Commencal is 15-20 min away and that is greatly influencing my brand decision.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
New to ebikes coming from Moto. Not sure on the specs and $ difference. I'm in the US so privces seem ok. With this being my first bite ebike purchase what spec 29r would you go for based on components.....mostly what I see is the ability to adjust the fork and shock with comp instead of only spring rate and rebound. In CO so Commencal is 15-20 min away and that is greatly influencing my brand decision.
The Essential is lower end components but all decent. Nothing I would say you need to replace right away. If you love it, you can upgrade suspension and other parts down the road.

The Team is mostly all top of the line SRAM stuff. At least brakes and suspension are, which is the important part for me. This is most likely the model I would buy if doing so.

The Signature is top of the line fox with XT shimano. Only thing that really stands out as better over the Team is the dropper post. The suspension/brakes/drivetrain are all personal preference of what brand and ride qualities you want.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I do. Nearly every weekend I go on a ride 25+ miles (40km) and 5k’+ (1525m) elevation gain and have to use eco mode the majority of the time; whereas with a slightly bigger battery I think I could do a good portion of that in trail mode.

Not sure how you are getting so much out of a 378wh battery, but that's impressive.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am disappointed there isn't a shorter travel bike available, the original 29'r Meta Power was a great bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles