Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
Arrived today ??

4CC61C6F-0D8C-4E83-8DCA-B9A03536AC31.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
it wasn't waterproof from day one,the first time i wore it was walking the dog in a light shower and it leaked,next time on a road ride and it leaked so i sent it back.

the replacement arrived,first thing i did was pour a small amount of water on it and watched it leak through.i obviously filmed it and sent the video to endura who then admitted that the dwr coating wasn't what it should be.

as i said to endura,im happy to pay top$ for your flagship jacket but if you say its waterproof then it needs to be waterproof.

my expectation is that it should be able to resist rain for an hour and it wont even resist it for 10 minutes.

currently I'm waiting for replacement number 2 .
That is really bad. I had a Goretex jacket that made me sweat so much I poured sweat out of the sleeves. Goretex were totally unsympathetic.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
it wasn't waterproof from day one,the first time i wore it was walking the dog in a light shower and it leaked,next time on a road ride and it leaked so i sent it back.

the replacement arrived,first thing i did was pour a small amount of water on it and watched it leak through.i obviously filmed it and sent the video to endura who then admitted that the dwr coating wasn't what it should be.

as i said to endura,im happy to pay top$ for your flagship jacket but if you say its waterproof then it needs to be waterproof.

my expectation is that it should be able to resist rain for an hour and it wont even resist it for 10 minutes.

currently I'm waiting for replacement number 2 .
My original one was excellent until the seams failed 3 years in. My new feels poorer quality but I haven’t tried it in heavy rain yet.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
I’ve just bought a new MT500 jacket to replace one I’ve had for 2 years. Had to replace it because I came a cropper and the sleeve caught in a spike of wood on a branch which causes a huge rip - would have happened on most jackets I reckon. Anyway the jacket had been used hard over those 2 years and was brilliant - hope the new one is as good - looks like the design has changed slightly?

I also have the Endurance spray pant trousers which are a good rugged trouser but not at all waterproof. If it’s cold and wet I wear a pair of army surplus Goretex over trousers - brilliant and only £30. Several tears after a years use but still useable.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
Should have added that to complete the ensemble I wear sealskins socks inside standard 5-10’s and feet stay pretty dry. I dry out my 5-10’s on top of radiators (which really annoys the wife) as otherwise they wouldn’t ever dry out in Winter.

BigLee

Jul 12, 2019
Lake District cumbria
I'm a big fan of ex army goretex, I've a pair of trousers cut down to shorts. Imo if you're getting covered in mud and grit why pay loads? The lightweight goretex jackets are good, hard wearing and cheap to replace. ???

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I'm a big fan of ex army goretex, I've a pair of trousers cut down to shorts. Imo if you're getting covered in mud and grit why pay loads? The lightweight goretex jackets are good, hard wearing and cheap to replace. ???
I used to be an advocate of the navy/army goretex stuff for £25 but there crap for durability…..fantastic for being waterproof and seem decent with breathability but so far I’ve torn two pairs yet during my offs unlike my sprayway goretex jacket which I can’t even find a scratch on!

I’ve been looking to replace the jacket with an endura as they do repairs for cheap by looks and I don’t want to use it as a mtb jacket.

Im just wondering about the freeze point II vs waterproof, I’ll avoid high polyester ones like the v1 versions as that is boil in a bag stuff, currently the jackets are £150 by looks, considering some endura trousers also.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Warmth is achieved by layering so no need to look at how warm a top waterproof layer is. The waterproof top layer will stop wind which certainly helps though.
I bought a Nukeproof packable jacket which is rated c 10,000 and that is a brilliant additional layer either for cold winds or for wet weather and has been fully robust against normal MTB contact with the ground or shrubbery but to be honest if you fall on rocky/stoney ground most materials are going to suffer. I have Altura trousers which are showerproof rather than waterproof although a couple of washes in Nikwax wash during the wet season keeps them waterproof enough for trail splatter and drizzle. To be honest if it is heavy rain I either do not go out or if already out I take shelter! I personally a void spending a lot of money on trousers because they take a lot more wear and tear than a jacket and the cheapest deals out there are MX trousers rather than the common MTB brands.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Warmth is achieved by layering so no need to look at how warm a top waterproof layer is. The waterproof top layer will stop wind which certainly helps though.
I bought a Nukeproof packable jacket which is rated c 10,000 and that is a brilliant additional layer either for cold winds or for wet weather and has been fully robust against normal MTB contact with the ground or shrubbery but to be honest if you fall on rocky/stoney ground most materials are going to suffer. I have Altura trousers which are showerproof rather than waterproof although a couple of washes in Nikwax wash during the wet season keeps them waterproof enough for trail splatter and drizzle. To be honest if it is heavy rain I either do not go out or if already out I take shelter! I personally a void spending a lot of money on trousers because they take a lot more wear and tear than a jacket and the cheapest deals out there are MX trousers rather than the common MTB brands.

Ive just started to get into night riding in remote places, It’s amazing fun but even more exposed on a night. My pal had the Enduro freeze point and I had my sprayway, it didn’t rain but neither of felt cold through the night, tbh it’s rare I feel cold as I wear a Knox armour jacket and maybe a shirt over this and so far it’s done the job.

The worse weather happened to be Skiddaw with constant drizzle, I was drenched inside out but I’d not put the hood over my helmet! Even then I wasn’t feeling majorly uncomfortable, these goretex jackets are amazing at batting away wind/wet and I’ve never felt overly sweaty on the inside just yet

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

Couple of fairly recent guides, interesting to see the Goretex C5 scoring so highly and that’s the first endura mt500 jacket was more Breathable than the second.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles