Clothing for wet riding

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
First time out today on my Rail 9 but in the pouring rain ? What clothing do you guys & gals use? Especially on your feet?
I have sealskin socks, waterproof jacket & fox trousers

Will be putting my Mudhuggers on the bike for the next wet ride ?

C4F21C0F-8E21-4278-A386-BC0C5C6685CF.jpeg

39D5A3BE-80D0-494E-A9F4-8377E18F5D17.jpeg

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
This is my second MT 500 Jacket and I'm a fan of the brand ..it will "wet out " eventually as nothing is truly waterproof but following washing instructions carefully it will give you great service ..a good re-proofer will also extend its life..Im a huge fan of Ballistol Pluvonin..if you can source it.
The big question of course is any jacket worth £200+..?
I would prefer that it was £50.00 but its as good as anything out there..
My only criticism is that the chest pocket for mobile phones etc. can only be accessed from inside the Jacket on my newest version which means that if you take as many pics as myself your base layers are going to get wet..☹

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yea been looking at the MT500 Jacket just wanna know if its worth the price.
I am a big fan of Endura products, they are almost always good quality, but the MT500 jacket is serious money. Its claim to fame is that it has a breathability rating of 60,000 m3/m2/24hrs. I don't know whether that is the fabric alone, or whether it requires the pit vents to be open as well. It is also very waterproof. (I can't remember that number).

I have a Rohan waterproof jacket that has a breathability rating of 20,000 and so far I have not felt the need for more. Its waterproof rating is also 20,000 but measured in mm/m2/24hr. Also, I have not felt the need for more. However I was very disappointed with a Goretex Paclite jacket. That was more like a boil-in-the-bag jacket. No idea what the Goretex numbers were. I sold that on eBay after my first wet ride.

My proposal is that you don't need more than 20,000 of breathability or waterproofness, based upon my experience. But I am not you. At £195 about 5 years ago, my Rohan jacket was not cheap (nothing by Rohan is), but I do not regret a single penny spent on it. The ability to pedal hard in rain without sweating to a greasy blob is worth the money.

I will not buy anything intended to be waterproof without seeing both the claimed ratings. With waterproofness and breathability ratings, if they are not stated, then they are low, avoid!

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Trees!

If it rains I take shelter under a good canopy of trees until it stops. Cheap as chips!!

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I layer up using Goretex Shakedry jacket as the outher layer.
Very light, waterproof and breathe extremely well, works all year round.
Don't understand why anything else exist....really.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
warm weather (15+) - i just get wet
mild weather (8-15) - i just get wet
cold weather (-10 to 7)- cheap base layers, a breatheable mid layer and cheap thin rain coat and vaugely waterproof trousers. And water resistant/leather style hiking boots with warm socks. and some waterproof ski style gloves i got from evans cycles.

But... for winter i'm also running the large RRP proguard on the front and the Fugly large rear mudhugger to stop too much spray onto myself.

I think my biggest issue with spending a lot of waterproof gear is that keeping them in good condition is a pain and on anything but the coldest days if you are pushing it you just sweat from the inside anyway.

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
Keela rain jacket (can’t remember which one I got now) but it outperforms all my others by far - Royal Racing, Madison, IXS, Altura. A bit like Steve’s experience with Rohan. I’ve had mine a while now and it just keeps working.

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
^^^^ just had a look……it’s a Keela Saxon. Wouldn’t wear it DH though as it’s not heavy duty material. Reckon it would rip pretty easy but yet to wet out!

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
What are they like pal?
I don't have much to compare to as I usually just ride in trainers or boots.
The 5.10s grip my pedals very well. They're pretty comfortable (although the sole is stiffer than I'm used to) and so far they seem to be waterproof.

nB2000

Jul 23, 2020
South coast UK
I had an mt500 a few years ago and the taping was poor. Came off, lots of it. Endura didn’t want to know. Directed me to my dealer but I couldn’t as it was handed on by a mate who’d had it as a gift (too big for him in the long run).
my sweet protection is good but they all wet out. Which doesn’t necessarily let water in but stops the breathability as I understand it. Then you get wet with sweat.
MT 500 spray pants ARE pants in anything other than very light rain.
craghopper waterproof trousers (with membrane) are popular on Singletrack forum.

Jakub

Jun 24, 2021
Switzerland
Have someone already mentioned about Patagonia wears? What I’ve learned from many opinions, both from cyclists and outdoor passionates - quality is superb and high performance meets functionality. I plan to buy a jacket, pants, shorts and maybe long sleeve shirt.

leroy

Jul 10, 2021
milton keynes
Yea been looking at the MT500 Jacket just wanna know if its worth the price.
in my opinion no.
im having a long running dispute with endura about this,they say they're waterproof but they simply aren't even rain proof.there in house testing that defines waterproofness doesn't translate to the real world at all.
my mrs has a berghaus goretex that was half the price and is more waterproof.
my advice would be buy goretex.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
in my opinion no.
im having a long running dispute with endura about this,they say they're waterproof but they simply aren't even rain proof.there in house testing that defines waterproofness doesn't translate to the real world at all.
my mrs has a berghaus goretex that was half the price and is more waterproof.
my advice would be buy goretex.
Did you follow the washing instructions correctly ( assuming you have washed it )?..
As mentioned in my previous post Im on my second MT500 jacket having had 10+ years of excellent service from the first ..but the aftercare is really important in terms of keeping it in working condition ..

leroy

Jul 10, 2021
milton keynes
Did you follow the washing instructions correctly ( assuming you have washed it )?..
As mentioned in my previous post Im on my second MT500 jacket having had 10+ years of excellent service from the first ..but the aftercare is really important in terms of keeping it in working condition ..
it wasn't waterproof from day one,the first time i wore it was walking the dog in a light shower and it leaked,next time on a road ride and it leaked so i sent it back.

the replacement arrived,first thing i did was pour a small amount of water on it and watched it leak through.i obviously filmed it and sent the video to endura who then admitted that the dwr coating wasn't what it should be.

as i said to endura,im happy to pay top$ for your flagship jacket but if you say its waterproof then it needs to be waterproof.

my expectation is that it should be able to resist rain for an hour and it wont even resist it for 10 minutes.

currently I'm waiting for replacement number 2 .

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
it wasn't waterproof from day one,the first time i wore it was walking the dog in a light shower and it leaked,next time on a road ride and it leaked so i sent it back.

the replacement arrived,first thing i did was pour a small amount of water on it and watched it leak through.i obviously filmed it and sent the video to endura who then admitted that the dwr coating wasn't what it should be.

as i said to endura,im happy to pay top$ for your flagship jacket but if you say its waterproof then it needs to be waterproof.

my expectation is that it should be able to resist rain for an hour and it wont even resist it for 10 minutes.

Houston ..we seem to have a problem..!!?
Hope things work out ..

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire

Does that go for your jacket or every jacket cos mines all good ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles