Winter clothing

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
What is your best jacket and long pant combination for wet and cold riding?

It’s my first winter season and it’s time to get ready. I don’t mind getting wet, as long as the fabric dries quickly and keeps warm. I am thinking of the sharkskin / softshell type clothing to keep warm and allow for some ventilation.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
For years I have just worn shorts and a good waterproof jacket but last year i started to feel the cold a bit after about two hours riding. So have just bought some Fox Ranger 3L water pants. Not worn them yet but they look like they will keep me dry and get good reviews. Also have some sealskinz socks. (y)

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Last winter I found out my 18 year old Altura jacket wasn't as waterproof as it once was......so did a bit or research.

Bought a Gore jacket to start with but their size chart was all to feck, so sent it back. Ordered a Madison Roam (red) and an O'Neal Tsunami (black) from Tredz with the intent of sending one of them back. They both were nice so ended up keeping them.

The O'Neal is just simply a better jacket, underarm vents are great and it keeps the wind and rain out extremely well. The Madison has no underarm vents (but some on the back) and it does soak up a little water on the surface over time but still keeps you dry. The Madison is certainly more casual and I find I've been wearing that off the bike when its been rainy.

I'm pleased with both and they should last me until I die, I'd expect.

I've still to delve into the realm of waterproof mtb trousers.....

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My preference is for waterproof/resistant bib tight worn under waterproof shorts.

just prefer the feel to riding in trousers

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Just ordered a Leatt dbx 5 as there seems to be no endura mt500's size L in the country.
I'll let ye know how I get on wi it

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Ex-MOD gore-tex trousers off eBay for 20 quid, Vaude Bike Gaiters and whatever waterproof jacket I can find in the cupboard.

Happily, now I've lost 30KG, all my "good" clothes are way too big so have been relegated to bike wear and have plenty of room for layering too.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Well the Leatt dbx 5 came and went back today.
Canny jacket but sizing came up small compared to my endura gridlock.
Could barely fit me teets in.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
For the cold, just follow usual mountaineering advice; base layer of thermals (synthetics for good wicking, wool for no smell), mid layer/layers of fleece sweaters/jackets/ down waistcoats/jackets, breathable wind proof outer layer. For wet, nothing works as well as goretex, but it’s expensive and as soon as the water repellant coat wears off, the water no longer beads off so it can’t breath. I keep my goretex jackets for when I really need to stay dry and use cheaper materials most of the time. I’ll get more condensation inside but if it’s only for a couple of hours (my battery seldom lasts longer), it doesn’t matter being a bit damp if one isn’t cold and it’s a piss off if one falls and rips a £200 goretex jacket. Winter clothing for biking is a challenge because going downhill can be really cold because of windchill but it can get very hot uphill if working hard, so clothing which can be vented or easily removed works best. For conditions below zero I use heated socks and heated gloves and this has meant comfortable rides in sub-zero conditions.

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Some good alternatives on Englebert Strauss web site. I’ve bought waterproof shoes & shorts from here, the quality is brilliant, half sizes in shoes available & exchanges quick & easy. I have no connection or interest in the company, but think there clothes are great quality without being over priced, like a lot of bike specific products.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Some good alternatives on Englebert Strauss web site. I’ve bought waterproof shoes & shorts from here, the quality is brilliant, half sizes in shoes available & exchanges quick & easy. I have no connection or interest in the company, but think there clothes are great quality without being over priced, like a lot of bike specific products.
I've just had a quick look and this looks like it might be worth a try....
Pit vents is a must for me

ThomasJL

Jul 29, 2019
Tromsø
I live in northern part of Norway (69 degrees north) and only use shell clothing from Norrøna (Lofoten), if it´s -5 or lower I also add some wool underwear. Other than that I use a balaclava, ski gloves and helmet.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
For wet (and sometimes cold) UK I’m attired in Endura MT500 jacket and trousers with lightweight thermal thermal shirt under the jacket. Any rain then waterproof leggings with full length side zips for ventilation. They lap over Sealskin socks (with merino wool) inside 5/10’s. Sealskin gloves again If it’s wet.

the only bit of me that gets wet even in horrendous weather is my backside, which I haven’t yet found a solution for. Many years ago I used to have a pair of waterproof trousers for fishing which had a built-in thin rubber rear designed for sitting in a boat so your bum didn’t get wet - they would have been perfect.

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
Merino wool under layers and breathable hooded shell /pants. Shoe covers too.

I like stuff from Ground Effect. They’re a company out of New Zealand. It’s not cheap but everything is very well made and has lasted for years of heavy use. They’ve even repaired some pieces and sent me fabric to have a local seamstress repair a piece, all at no charge. The Baked Alaska is a favorite of mine for brisk mornings. Heavier/wind proof synthetic front with merino back and sleeves. This prevents the sweat chill when descending for me. The shell in front blocks wind and the back is completely breathable. Genius.

The Mountain Hardware Stretch Ozonic is a great stretchy breathable shell that is a favorite piece of mine.

Patagonia makes the best merino underlayers IMO, although they’ve changed recently and I don’t own any of the new style. Merino only. Warm, breathable, and no B.O. when you arrive at your destination. Synthetic stinks.

Good wool socks from Balega are a must.

A little shout out to my friends company.
Mission Workshop/Acre is a company out of SF that makes cycling bags and clothing. It’s also pricey but is high quality, durable, and super functional. I’m a Clydesdale and much of their stuff doesn’t fit me. If it did, I’d wear it daily. The bags are amazing and will get your laptop through the worst weather. I have one bag that I put a wet wetsuit in one compartment and a laptop in another. Good stuff.

benny.c

Apr 21, 2019
North West
Dirtlej dirtsuit for me. Look like a Teletubby but stay bone dry and toasty warm with no draughts to worry out - unless you want to open the vents. Genuinely one of the best pieces of riding gear I’ve ever purchased.

benny.c

Apr 21, 2019
North West
It’s the time of year I guess. There usually seems to be more availability in mainland Europe but returns could be a PITA if the sizing isn‘t right.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I'm a fan of a long sleeve merino base layer and the Endura Windchill jacket - windproof on the front, flexible and long in the back (with pockets for phone, multitool etc. Usually pair it up with three quarter tights and baggies with a water repellent backside. Beanies are a good idea to keep you warm as well, better than crispy ears.

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
I intially bought an Endura mt500 after reading loads of reviews and found it to be shite. Wore it 3 times during lockdown it 30 min downpours and chest, soulders and pockets ended up soaked. Also the way the hood rolled up was crap. Sent it back for refund and bought a Leatt dbx5, which is awesome, a bit overkill for summer but kept me bonedry in 4hr walk in pouring rain around high cup nick so it should deal with winter ok. I wear mt500 burner trousers with a pair of berghaus deluge over trousers when it starts to rain. The berghaus have full length leg zips and very easy and quick to put on and keep you bonedry. They can feel clammy on the skin with shorts underneath. Socks are either sealskins or dexshell and sealskin gloves. Under jacket would be a base layer and longsleeved jersey. I wear specialized 2fo flats as they offer a bit more splash resistance than the 5tens ive got. This is what i have found works really well and would usually be doing the same 3or4 hrs rides i do in summer without getting cold and wet. The sealskins can be soaking but keep you hands and feet warm.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I intially bought an Endura mt500 after reading loads of reviews and found it to be shite. Wore it 3 times during lockdown it 30 min downpours and chest, soulders and pockets ended up soaked. Also the way the hood rolled up was crap. Sent it back for refund and bought a Leatt dbx5, which is awesome, a bit overkill for summer but kept me bonedry in 4hr walk in pouring rain around high cup nick so it should deal with winter ok. I wear mt500 burner trousers with a pair of berghaus deluge over trousers when it starts to rain. The berghaus have full length leg zips and very easy and quick to put on and keep you bonedry. They can feel clammy on the skin with shorts underneath. Socks are either sealskins or dexshell and sealskin gloves. Under jacket would be a base layer and longsleeved jersey. I wear specialized 2fo flats as they offer a bit more splash resistance than the 5tens ive got. This is what i have found works really well and would usually be doing the same 3or4 hrs rides i do in summer without getting cold and wet. The sealskins can be soaking but keep you hands and feet warm.
Ha, I ordered the Leatt dbx 5 and sent it back the same day as chest was way too tight, just got mt500 this week and feels great.
I'm up the lakes this weekend so no doubt will get a chance to try it in anger

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
Ha, I ordered the Leatt dbx 5 and sent it back the same day as chest was way too tight, just got mt500 this week and feels great.
I'm up the lakes this weekend so no doubt will get a chance to try it in anger
Tbh i thought the mt500 was faulty as after reading the reviews i couldnt believe it had soak thru after 30mins. And the hood storage strip of fabric seemed too short and would cause the top of the back to fold causing the jacket too shorten at the back. I had another read and it offered 18000mm of waterproofness whereas the leatt is 30000. So glad i went with the leatt the material feels like it could withstand a nuclear blast

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Yeah, I'd have preferred the Leatt for build quality and price just my teets didn't, and couldn't find the xl anywhere.
I'm really pissed I threw out my old endura stealth jkt years ago.
Was absolutely bullet proof and wore it on my enduro bike without fail.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles