Bike clothing?

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
I recently bought my first e-bike, a trail bike that extends a bit into touring as a do-it-all.

I have heard some things about lycra-like shorts that help prevent chafing and might have padding, as well as trail specific pants/trousers. I wouldnt mind some padding is that usually built into the 'liner' or the shorts/pants themselves? It's a bit confusing.

What do you all wear? And what do you recommend? Thanks!

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I prefer something like the NZO Cruiseliner and then a pair of shorts (or tights in the winter) rather than built-in liners & padding - far mopre comfortable to me.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I should add that I do mostly downhill. On re-reading your post the Troy Lee designs may be a little "overkill" for your riding although I stand by my opinion of them regarding comfort.

Al

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
What ever you do, do not wear underpants under them. That can cause chafing and discomfort. You can also rub "chamy cream" on your bum to further resist chafing although I have found that the best protection is a decent saddle.

Al

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There are various "shorts" which are MTB specific. Some of these will also have liners, with a chamois - to make your butt and areas more comfortable. Normally, these are removable, so you can choose to use the liner or not. I've had mixed success with these, some don't seem designed for human bodies, but generally some people like them some people don't. I find them hot and uncomfortable so don't use them.

You also have "under shorts". These will either have a chamois built it, or armour in specific places or a combination of the two.

As @JoeBlow and @Rusty have said, they prefer this system with some shorts over the top.

It's easier to swap out depending what you're doing and what level of comfort or protection you might want for a ride.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
I do more miles since getting an Eb, so comfort is important.
Lycra shorts with Chamois are a must, don’t skimp on ££, I use Polaris and Funkier, and never have discomfort.
But, vanity and practicality play a part as well, so I wear Normal MTB shorts over them. ???

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I have 2 pairs of these, one normal one 3/4 length. They have a neat “popper in” padded liner which can be removed and used in other Endura clothing. I have Humvee waterproof and single track full length trousers for the winter which use the popper system so I can use the liner from the shorts in them.

Adjustments.jpg

HUMMVEE II MOUNTAIN BIKE SHORT WITH LINER

Adjustments.jpg

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Worth pointing out then when people refer to a "chamois" they mean the padded part of a cycling short or the removable liner. In the old days these were made of soft padded chamois leather, whereas now they tend to be modern breathable, washable fabrics and padding. Hence the name, chamois.

Back in the very early '80s when I got my first proper cycling shorts, my mum was appalled by the idea of riding them "naked" so she made me a liner out of some old pants (no its OK mum, it's meant to be ridden with no (under)pants on, no really, no ... no). The liner was removable so it could be washed, so in her infinite wisdom she sewed in .... metal press studs. She wasn't happy at my "ingratitude" but reluctantly changed them to velcro, of course the hard side was facing up. Eventually, she capitulated and let me wear the shorts au naturel . After one particularly hot day's ride, I remember taking them off and seeing a perfect sweat-stain image of my "parts" like some sort of homo-erotic Turin shroud effect. From that day forward I always referred to my "lad" as Sweaty Jesus.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Personally I always wear heatwear UA compression shorts and sleeveless top as a first layer. Top layer is mtb jersey and baggy trail shorts. Mid layer is soft armour and use armoured shorts with integral chamois. For simple xc type rides where full armour is not needed I substitute 3/4 length tights with integral chamois for the armoured shorts and just use a short sleeved roost vest as top body armour. (Shoulder and sternum pads only). Good quality shorts and jersey are worth paying for. The best ones are amazingly robust lightweight and quick drying if it turns wet.
In the winter I wear mtb trousers.
Shoes are summer and winter (waterproof/insulated) versions of 5-10 Freerides.
Good quality helmet and mtb glasses.....additional full face helmet and goggles for higher risk descents.
Gloves...summer/winter.
Packable rain jacket.
......and you thought the bike was expensive!!

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
It's hot in this part of the world. It's rare to see anyone other than tourists or the DH crowd wearing anything but lycra. When I'm out with the oldies for a coffee ride, I'll pull a cheap pair of Decathlon Rockrider MTB shorts over the lycra shorts. I can't imagine (actually, I can :eek:) not having the padding. And chamois cream too!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve got a few pairs of undershorts (Lycra padded type), and I wear baggy MTB shorts over the top.
I have Endura, Yeti, and Gore... and I find the Gore ones to be the best. I have them in normal short length, and also full length bib tights for in winter.

I wear normal boxers under mine, and have never had any chafing issues. I don’t use any creams either.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles