Clicking noise from backwheel on new emtb.

LeftItLancs

Apr 12, 2021
North UK
Good evening,

Would appreciate some thoughts and or advice, please.

I don't know much about the inner workings of an emtb other than basic maintenance. I had a new Cube Reaction Hybrid Race delivered on Friday, brought straight round to my backyard, and which I bought online from a fairly local shop (same county) with a good reputation. However, immediately after the guy who delivered it left, I noticed a sort of click click click noise from the back wheel when I moved the bike into my house.

I took it out for a few miles today and properly bedded the brakes because I thought it might be that, but unfortunately it isn't. The click click click noise only happens when I stop peddling and the bike is freewheeling, or walking it forward, not when the wheel is spinning backwards, and not when peddling with the engine on or off.

Any ideas what could be causing this, and could it be the hub?

The guy must have noticed this click noise because he walked a good 50 metres to get to the back of my house with it, and so I am wondering if it is something trivial that I am unaware off? It will be difficult if not impossible getting the bike back to the shop unless I post it, and so I am slightly annoyed.

There is also a slightly different click click click when I peddle backwards, sounds like the chain noise peddling backwards on an analogue bike (last one I had was a Grifter), but which did not happen on my previous Cube Reaction, and so I am also wondering if this is normal?

Thanks.

LeftItLancs

Apr 12, 2021
North UK
It's kinda supposed to do that

Aye, schoolboy error, it could well be that after speaking to the shop today and I think YouTube videos of hubs spooked me. :)

It is an upgrade from my previous Cube Reaction, but that made no noise at all, other than the engine. It is also a rather irritating noise when the wheel is spinning fast, but I guess I will have to learn how to live with it.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Ha, I found the same thing the first day I rolled my new Trek from the store to my car. The clicking from the hub was very lound. I even asked your same question here (see link below). The members here said it was normal. The reason it was bothering me was that my other ebike a Giant Explore hardly makes any sound compared to this Trek!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I believe that bike has MT400 Shimano hubs and the freehub is the Shimano type which is non serviceable (ie the freehub engagement system is inside the freehub body)........so you are stuck with whatever level of noise it makes I'm afraid. With an HG type freehub that has external pawls a loud freehub sound usually infers it is dry ( no grease) and a clean and a little grease will make it quieter, but not an option for you if I am right about your hub.

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
I miss my Hope Pro 4 freehub that was on my old Trek Remedy from 2009. Now I got a 2021 Fathom E+ 2 29er & have to ring my bell cuz it barely makes a sound
Exactly!! I like a loud freehub for that very reason. Coming down some tight single track, folks will get out of the way faster. It’s a safety thing!!😂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles