Horrible clicking sound on my new Trek Rail 9.7

Brunty

Aug 10, 2021
Bath
Hi guys,

I’ve recently bought a brand new Trek Rail 9.7 and I’m having this bad clicking sound.
Seems to be whenever I press down on the left hand pedal!
Any ideas?

okay will try and upload video! How do I do that!! Help!! Haha

125phil

Aug 9, 2021
MEL/YVR
if its new i would take it back to the dealer.

Get them to check mounting bolts on motor, grease rear axle and dropouts, crankarms, pedals.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
All the clicking on my rail turned out to be the small screws that hold the motor mounting brackets to the motor casing. The torque setting from Bosch is rather low for what they are. I cranked them up to something more reasonable and all my noises have disappeared.

duncho

Feb 20, 2022
Germany
I’ve recently bought a brand new Trek Rail 9.7 and I’m having this bad clicking sound.
Seems to be whenever I press down on the left hand pedal!

Hi, did you manage to solve the clicking sound problem on your Rail 9.7? I have the same problem, but it is just not as loud as yours.

ezliven

Feb 9, 2023
United States
My 2020 Rail 9.7 had a creaking noise for some time. The creaking was minor at first but got progressively worse to the point others riding near me could hear it. I had taken all the pivot points apart and cleaned and retorqued them and cleaned seat post but still did not fix the creaking noise. Finally the only thing left was the motor mounting. I had noticed while holding the brake and stepping on the crank that the motor had a slight movement to it. I removed the motor and found the bolts for the motor mounting bracket were loose and one had broken off. I was able to remove the broken bolt. For some reason Bosch had installed them with tamper proof bolt heads and did not have any lock-tite on them. I removed the other 3 loose bolts and installed 4 new M5-18 X 16mm bolts with regular allen heads. Installed them with lock-tite blue and torqued them to 6 nm. Reinstalled them motor and have 2 rides for 40 miles and not more creaking. Bracket shown in the attachment.

Attachments

• 1939_001 (2).pdf
    73 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles