Clicking coming from eMTB (I think motor)

413x

Nov 18, 2020
Wales
Haven't had my cube acid hybrid one 500 long. (2020 model)
Never had an Mtb before this

Recently its developed a clicking after my last ride.
This ride was a low grade trail, no air, a bit rough but could easily be a footpath

Symptoms
Clicking sounds like same clicking get on a normal bike when it's not going up gears perfectly .
Seems to be coming from motor, but not 100 percent sure.
It only happens when I'm sat on bike,When I turn the pedalsby hand, don't get it - this is making finding it hard.
Happens with motor off and on, but more when it's on.
I think I can feel as well as hear the click.
No noise when free wheeling.
Its not consistent. Inconsistent across gears and different revolution to revolution

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There are soooooooooo many possibilities ..

A chain link hitting the chain guide. A pedal bearing. A loose crank arm. A tight link in the chain. A bent tooth on the cassette or chainring. Something out of line on the derailleur. A loose spoke. A loose or worn suspension bush. The seat tube needing lubing and clicking against the frame. Cassette not tight. Tyre incorrectly seated. Speed sensor out of alignment. Needs indexing. Sometimes is seat/seat rails and sounds like motor. Sometimes is suspension mounts and sounds like motor. Sometimes is handlebars ....... and sounds like motor. Also check the chain is sitting on the correct jockey wheel teeth .. some are "narrow/wide" so one tooth is bigger than the other - occasionally the chain slips from a branch or likewise and ends on the wrong teeth.

413x

Nov 18, 2020
Wales
So basically it could be anything?
How's the best way to diagnose if it's only occurring when I'm sat on it?

I had a road bike for 10 years. But I never had a single fault in that time.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So basically it could be anything?
How's the best way to diagnose if it's only occurring when I'm sat on it?

I had a road bike for 10 years. But I never had a single fault in that time.
You may fix this and then never have another problem in the next 10 years.

Clicks and creaks can be very difficult to track down. You just have to be patent and methodical. Start with where you think the problem could be and work out from there, checking things, making sure they're correct and moving on.

If it's possible, maybe someone can walk/ride next to you and they might be able to tell more clearly where it's coming from. Or, if you have a camera/phone/something - try recording video and moving and holding the camera in different places to see if you can narrow down the source.

I'd still start with the basics. Derailleur jockeys, chain links, bent teeth. I'd be tempted to take the wheels off also and check the cassette and axle are all mounted properly. 10 minutes and you've ruled out lots of possibilities.

Some bikes have little plastic spacers on the front wheel axles, these sometimes click. Certain brake pads move around and sometimes click with seemingly no rhythm - though both of these examples only happen when it's bumpy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles