clicking noise coming from crank area on my 2017 specialized turbo levo?

benny.c

Apr 21, 2019
North West
^^^^

Same for me. The clicking was driving me nuts and it turned out to be either the seatpost clamp or saddle fixing. I could have sworn the noise was coming from the crank area.

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
I had this dreaded clicking sound last weekend, turned out to be that it was one of my pedals which had created a bit of play on its bearings. 15 minutes later and a quick tighten of the bearings and the click has gone.

As others have stated regarding the seat / seatpost etc don't just assume its always the motor

shrednmymnd

May 26, 2020
Marina Ca
I have a 2018 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon that developed after about 14 months of hard riding a progressively louder and more persistent and very irritating PEDAL SQUEAK/CLICKING.It was more pronounced under load.I could have the bike stationary, hold the brakes and step on the left pedal to hear the noise.Using an old mechanics trick of holding a 1"x4"x2' board against my ear and moving it around the bike frame like a stethoscope(while my wife put pressure on the pedal to activate the noise)I found it was coming from the motor area at the chainstay mounting bolt.Took the motor out and cleaned and greased all the mounting bolts(as well as the chain stay bolt) where they touched the frame and put it back together.(This required much fiddling with the brake and mech lines as well as lining up motor mounting holes-especially the top one)If you remove your motor don't lose the metal washers that go with each mounting bolt as well as the 2 washers that go inside each chainstay arm.The noise was still there.MERDE.Took a day to recover from the depression and found this thread that said check motor for signs of abrasion on outer surface.Next day took motor out and didn't see anything significant until I removed the MOUNTING BRACKET from the motor.Then I discovered a 1/2"x 1" piece of helicopter tape between the mounting bracket and the motor body had been displaced by the inherent lateral movement of the motor while pedaling.This caused the MOUNTING BRACKET TO CONTACT AND RUB AGAINST THE MOTOR BODY and create the devil squeak.I filed both surfaces down thoroughly and reassembled everything.Redemption- back to a quiet and satisfying ride on such an amazingly efficient and blissful machine!My only question is- Was this a known design or manufacturing flaw that they just decided to put a piece of tape on?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles