clicking noise coming from crank area on my 2017 specialized turbo levo?

Gsxrjohny1981

Apr 27, 2018
Glossop, Derbyshire
Hi, my bike has recently started to make this annoying clicking noise whilst peddling with moderate to hard force, doesn’t seem to do it if you are on the flat and peddling lightly, has anyone else experienced this clicking noise? My bike rides fine and the motor seems to work fine. Any advise on this issue would be appreciated.

Gsxrjohny1981

Apr 27, 2018
Glossop, Derbyshire
Its doesn’t seem as constant as that, seems to make more of click with each full crank rotation.. I’ll try doing a video tomorrow afternoon after I get home from work,
I have been over all the bolts etc and everything is tight on the crank and lower linkages..

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
It could also be a pedal. I had the same thing on my clockwork Marin Hawk Hill the other day... riding along you would swear it were at the BB, but swap the pedals and it instantly went away. A quick strip and regrease of the axles and all was well again.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Check its not the SWAT multitool - lot of people have had weird noises on Levos that turned out to be the multitool moving about in its mount

Gsxrjohny1981

Apr 27, 2018
Glossop, Derbyshire
please report if it was caused by the plastic covers or something else...
Hi, just checked the plastic covers and the right hand side one is causing the clicking noise, if losen the bolts right off on the cover the noise stops...
did you say these are covered under the specialized warrenty? I’ve only had my bike since may, bought new from Certini cycles... think I maybe giving them a call...
Are the replacement parts different in any way at all??
Thanks

Gsxrjohny1981

Apr 27, 2018
Glossop, Derbyshire
Could it be the plastic covers? Mine is a 2017 Levo I bought on offer two weeks ago. Dealer said it will order new plastic side covers as it's apparently a known issue. They will replace it under warranty
Hi, seems to be the right hand side cover, if I loosen the bolts on the cover the noise stops... did yours get replaced through your specialized dealer you bought the bike from??
Thanks

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
I would contact the dealer, maybe they have updated the covers?

But I think there was a video on embn about right this issue on the Levo motor - they recommended using some silicone lube on specific edges of that plastic cover to stop the noises. Not a big deal if that works.
Not sure it was in this video here, but i think it was:

Peebee01

Jul 9, 2018
Netherlands
Hi, seems to be the right hand side cover, if I loosen the bolts on the cover the noise stops... did yours get replaced through your specialized dealer you bought the bike from??
Thanks
Hi

Yes, the specialized dealer I bought the bike from in the Netherlands told me there is a revised version of these covers that they would order. I do not have them yet, they will notify me when they arrive

Levo

Oct 30, 2018
Scotland
Mine is a 2018 levo and it has developed a strange creak. Nothing from suspension or seat post nor the tool mount carbon frame not even the release of tention on the crank case bolts. It did have a new motor fired in Aug 18 and now it's back at the dealer. They also cant find anything but agree that there is movement in the motor. When i took the bike in a described the problem by putting the bike upside down and once the crank where at 180 degrees applied pressure.this gave the creak sound and showed small movement that can only be the motor. Could be specilized send another motor. At the moment I just want it back working as i love my Levo

Levo

Oct 30, 2018
Scotland
Ohh it's not the motor cradle either. Will let you know how it goes with specialized
I got the bike back. So the bike shop called specialized and where told to check for any rub marks on the motor case...and where these where to lightly remove some of the motor case metal. I could not believe it! However the bike in now once again silent.

c.tonus

Jun 12, 2018
Brazil
Do you have the contact of this store, to request a description of this procedure? because my local shop already dismounted and could not resolve the popping when I footed the pedal during the pedaling
thanks

Crasher 2

Feb 28, 2019
South Australia
Had the same prob with my 2017 Levo Contacted my LBS, they got on to Specialized Melbourne and they sent the better covers under warranty. fitted by LBS under warranty. Not a biggie, just keep on them.
cheers Rick

Levo

Oct 30, 2018
Scotland
Evans Breahead Renfrewshire deal with all the warranty work on my Levo, They contacted specialized service guys and it was them who recommended to file the motor case where there where signs of rubbing, the guys at Evans showed me my old motor from a prior problem and it had the same light rub marks, you would need to get the motor out to inspect and be prepared to take a file and lightly remove some of the metal case, sounds nuts but it did work! I don't have any pics sorry..

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
Hi, my bike has recently started to make this annoying clicking noise whilst peddling with moderate to hard force, doesn’t seem to do it if you are on the flat and peddling lightly, has anyone else experienced this clicking noise? My bike rides fine and the motor seems to work fine. Any advise on this issue would be appreciated.
Hi,i had the same problem on my 17,i just loosened the motor covers a bit ,problem solved,my 19 doesn't do it which is good,hope this works for you too.

Peter Hill

Dec 31, 2018
Derbyshire
Mine is now making similar noises and it's only under load and seems to be coming from the motor/crank area. Had a new motor fitted and still doing it!!
Ive really no idea and Ive checked all the usual stuff, chain guide, chainring bolts etc

Last edited:

jonny strauss

Apr 9, 2020
Switzerland
Hi all. Sorry to add to this lengthy discussion. I've got a 2018 s works levo (less than a year old) and its just started happening to me. Video from Peter Hill is similar, and can feel the vibration through the pedals. I can't for the life of me figure it out. The chassis feels bombproof. Happens without or without the motor, on any gear, under pedal tension only (on the stand, without tension all smooth) I've tried replacing the chain, pedals, tightened the chain ring bolts and crank, removed the chain guide and loosened (and tightened) the RHS plastic cover as per above recommendation. Still happening. To me, it points to a bottom bracket but i've been told it's very unlikely since the unit is so well sealed. Can do without going into the motor area if i can avoid it. Any other suggestions in addition to what's already been discussed would appreciate it! Cheers.

Pumpemup

Apr 24, 2020
UK
I had a 2018 Turbo Levo S-Works and it too developed a really annoying click from somewhere around the motor area. It became really annoying because it was happening with virtually every turn of the crank. I tried all of the usual things from lubricating the seat rails to loosening off the motor cover bolts a little. I did notice that I could replicate the click using an allen key and putting a little clockwise pressure on the middle bolt in the linkage arm (that connects to the rear shock yoke). Thinking that I had must have trashed a bearing, I replaced all 10 sealed cartridge bearings in the linkage arm (excessive, I know and a real pain to boot), but still the clicking persisted. Running out of ideas, I decided to unbolt the rear of the Monarch RT3 shock from the yoke to give it a clean and hey presto, when I bolted everything back together, the clicking noise had completely vanished.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
If you look at the Kenevo forum you’ll see I posted a link to a video (below) which sounds exactly the same as the on at the beginning of this thread. I’ve tried fiddling with the covers but this makes no difference. In my case, the noise only comes when the motor is hot after a long ascent. Specialized have seen the video and confirmed that it is not normal. I’m going to my LBS tomorrow to see what they think. If I pedal without the motor on, there is no noise, so it’s not a transmission problem, it’s definitely the motor. It only happens when the motor is hot and under load. Why heat would cause this is a mystery unless something is expanding under heat and then the belt or pinions are catching on something. Several people have said this noise is a pre-cursor to motor failure.

jonny strauss

Apr 9, 2020
Switzerland
Thanks for your reply Pumpemup. I gave up in the end. Unwilling to buy a new transmission just to try stuff out, i took it to a specialized dealer, they took the motor apart regreased the mounts etc and told me it was fixed. Big bill later, still not fixed and that was from a specialized service centre. Took it back, eventually they found the issue - chain ring. Looked fine, went fine on the bike stand but under tension it was worn or something. Anyway, that's what it was for me. On a side note (swissrider) this service station had a load of levo's waiting for a service. I asked and apparently there's an issue with the levo motor (from early models to late one's, can't specify exactly) and they're all back to have them replaced. I don't know anything about it tbh, but he said something like the belt outer wears down and the belt slips off a bit and makes a noise. Known issue and many come back for a warranty replacement. Not sure if that noise has anything to do with that?

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
The shop that‘s dealing with my issue have now put a guarantee claim in and expect Specialized to send a replacement. I guess with Coronvirus affecting everything there might be quite a long wait. At least for the moment I can use the bike as it still works and the noise only happens when it gets hot. It certainly sounds like a belt issue and the belt slipping as you describe makes sense. Either there is something expanding under heat or something to do with the grease getting thinner I suspect.

Basher

May 23, 2020
GATESHEAD
I have / had developed the exact same problem on my 2019 levo of clicking about every revolution. Tried all these: cranks off, pedals off, battery out, headset out, side cover off, motor loosened off and dropped out a little all done systematically but to no joy. Started a conversation with Specialized to get some direction.
One thing i noticed was under light pedalling or pulling up on the pedals or leaning forward and surprisingly taking one hand off the handlebars the noise disappeared! Started looking at the seatpost / clamp and took the saddle clamp apart, lubed it refitted and tightened and hey presto noise gone completely. Can't tell you what a relief it was.
If anyone still has the creaking / clicking and hasn't checked the seatpost /saddle clamp as part of the problem solving it may be worth giving it a try. I can only assume moving my body and arse around was creating the noise. Happy days

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles