Clicking from rear hub

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Hearing some clicking from the rear end as I ride. Sounds like the chain trying to shift or a stiff link but even though the chain is toast & needs replacing I think it's inside. It happens twice on a revolution. I spun it on the bike rack yesterday after a XC type ride with lots of uphill & it wasn't noticeable so wondered if it disappeared when the hub gets hot?
I'll replace the chain when I get back home from holiday but any other ideas? Done about 1000kms.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My initial thoughts would be it's something to do with something you've eaten over the festive period which doesn't agree with you ..

OK .. so you say twice on a revolution (of the wheel ?) - in every gear ? If it's chain/chainring/derailleur this would vary depending on the gear.

I think I'd also be tempted to take the axle out and check how the wheel's sitting - it's probably not that, but you never know.

There are also some other weird anomalies like spokes pinging against each other if one is loose/tight. As he wheel turns, the strain points move and make clicking sounds.

The weirdest possibility is tyre seating - @Mikerb

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My "click" was once per rear wheel revolution and caused by a tyre bead not properly seated due to the rim tape having a fold. If your noise is twice per wheel revolution but not when on the stand I would suspect rear hub bearings.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
@Doug Stampfer are you still having this issue mate? If so, I'd be looking at the freehub. The Bonty freehubs aren't very well sealed, and need regular attention. I found two broken springs in mine the last time I serviced it. Then shortly after that the glue they use to bond the hub to the wheel let go, so I could pedal but the wheel wouldn't turn. I said goodbye to Bonty wheels after that. But you already know my thoughts on Bonty wheels!

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Yeah I hadn't noticed it in the last ride however wasn't concentrating on it. There have been lots of good ideas posted for me to check. I am going to put a new chain on today & see if it still persists. Oh also going to take off the headset & see why my bars turn 180 degrees now....

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
No I took it apart & the tab was still there. Weird! I did notice the plastic seal from the bearing was broken & jammed in there so I suspect maybe I hadn't cinched the headset down enough & the spacers were riding up & over the tab. There was no play in the headset when I was working on it & had tightened it as much as I felt comfortable. Would a big hit have loosened the headset though I wonder? I had what shockwiz called "a deep impact" off an unexpected drop a week or so before the bars twisted after getting hung up on a tree (not a crash)

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
No I took it apart & the tab was still there. Weird! I did notice the plastic seal from the bearing was broken & jammed in there so I suspect maybe I hadn't cinched the headset down enough & the spacers were riding up & over the tab. There was no play in the headset when I was working on it & had tightened it as much as I felt comfortable. Would a big hit have loosened the headset though I wonder? I had what shockwiz called "a deep impact" off an unexpected drop a week or so before the bars twisted after getting hung up on a tree (not a crash)
I wouldn't have thought a big hit would loosen the headset. Do you have a torque wrench? You're really just preloading the bearings with the top cap bolt, torque to 4nm. Only thing I can think of is maybe you didn't loosen the stem bolts when you did it? Loosen stem bolts, torque top cap bolt, re-tighten stem bolts. That's weird what happened to the bearing seal though!

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
There was no play in the headset when I was working on it & had tightened it as much as I felt comfortable.
My guess would be is that the last time it was apart, upon reassembly a pair of tabs from some piece of the Knock Block system (headset top/spacer(s)/stem) were not seated into the matching recesses. The headset would adjust fine and all would appear good, until the wheel is hung up while a twisting force is applied to the bar.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
My guess would be is that the last time it was apart, upon reassembly a pair of tabs from some piece of the Knock Block system (headset top/spacer(s)/stem) were not seated into the matching recesses. The headset would adjust fine and all would appear good, until the wheel is hung up while a twisting force is applied to the bar.
makes sense!

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Yes does make sense however I made sure it worked when reinstalling & everything lined up. I wonder if it may have been something in the bottom bearing holding it out making it look like everything is ok topside until it is dislodged or worn out then the movement transferred to the top. I'll keep an eye out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles