Cleaning up Bosch cockpit

SenderoSeeker

Dec 9, 2018
Madrid, Spain.
Has anyone done anything clever to clean up the cockpit with a bosch system? I would love to have a cleaner feel and get all that selector off the handlebars. I have no problem to leave it in emtb mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
Has anyone done anything clever to clean up the cockpit with a bosch system? I would love to have a cleaner feel and get all that selector off the handlebars. I have no problem to leave it in emtb mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Is it to move the Purion display? If so, have a look at this thread.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Watching with interest.

I was thinking about getting a red ped device which would allow me to see useful info like ebike battery on my phone, and then just hide the kiox away in the down tube, that would leave just the mode selector on the bars, which would be a huge improvement. But the problem is you have to press a button on the kiox to turn the bike on, so that approach is a non starter unless you start modifying the kiox to move the power button.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Come on bosch give us a minimal controller with an equally minimally sized reasonably high resolution battery life indicator along with something to let you know what mode your in.

We don't need all this complicated stuff that your doing with the kiox etc

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Yup. I just want a mini Purion. Small rocker switch for the mode and a small display for battery percentage/range and mode. Don’t need speedo or odometer. Certainly don’t want anything the size of a Kiox.

SenderoSeeker

Dec 9, 2018
Madrid, Spain.
Is it to move the Purion display? If so, have a look at this thread.
It's the Kiox. But between the Kiox and the selector it's a lot of crap on the handlebars. I've seen a few ideas but I guess the selector will have to stay put :(

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am surprised no bright spark has made a retrofittable controller for the Bosch system, surely for someone with the right skillset it wouldn't be that hard, and I would have though a decent enough market for the product.

Having said that it all amazes me the Bosch haven't bought to market a minimal controller, especially as ever review for the past 3 years has slated the current options.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Having said that it all amazes me the Bosch haven't bought to market a minimal controller, especially as ever review for the past 3 years has slated the current options.

I suspect as soon as demand starts slowing up and they need to gain some excitement In the market.... a new system will be unveiled

SenderoSeeker

Dec 9, 2018
Madrid, Spain.
I am surprised no bright spark has made a retrofittable controller for the Bosch system, surely for someone with the right skillset it wouldn't be that hard, and I would have though a decent enough market for the product.

Let's hope they're at the end of their current design cycle and will start to listen for the next version.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
On another forum there were two new leaked EMTB specific display designs.

Apparently, after many complains that the Kiox was "too modern and brash", they're developing the "Rejuvenate Display" in answer to the many calls for a simpler display system, expect this to be with us for a while as it has the ability to hard select your preferred mobile phone service all the way upto 8G.

As you can see, despite it's simplicity, it has many inbuilt features to record your ride, the ability to lock your bike and you can even give a virtual Hi-Five to other connected riders within bluetooth range. :

retro.jpg

To answer all the complains that people didn't like the display stuck on the left with the Purion Display, they've developed the "Peripheral Display". This comes standard as an 800mm wide display.

By using a specially developed automatically re-configurable nano circuitry, the display can actually be cut down with an angle grinder or suitable saw as short as 720mm to suit every riders bar preferences !

Not much more is known about this display other than it's "wow" factor ! A sure fire hit available from Summer 2021.

wide screen.jpeg

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
On another forum there were two new leaked EMTB specific display designs.
View attachment 52720 View attachment 52721
Not sure if joking or not. Seems bigger than Purion and possible waterproof structure raises questions. If Bosch is struggling with it's closed ecosystem in somewhere around 2008 this prototyped screen could be something that Sarah Connor would have used in 1984.

If putting Kiox on top tube and leaving the 3-button controller to handlebar doesn't meet today's strict aesthetic requirements, then you should ride more instead of watching instabikes.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Not sure if joking or not. Seems bigger than Purion and possible waterproof structure raises questions. If Bosch is struggling with it's closed ecosystem in somewhere around 2008 this prototyped screen could be something that Sarah Connor would have used in 1984.

If putting Kiox on top tube and leaving the 3-button controller to handlebar doesn't meet today's strict aesthetic requirements, then you should ride more instead of watching instabikes.

it was a joke!

Its not just about looks for me, its about functonality, or more accurately the fact that the display isnt just a dumb display that the bike can work fine without, half the problem is that if the display fails, or is broken in some way then then the motor also stops working.

So : -

* if you crash and damage it, the motor will stop.
* crash and lose it, the motor will stop etc.
* If the kiox gets damaged in some other way - eg water gets in through the USB port, the motor will stop.
* and its in a very exposed position, so the above is reasonably likely to happen.

Its like bosch havent thought about how to design a robust system. The display should just be a dumb display, its shouldnt be an integral dependent part of the system needed for the motor to work.

My latest issue is that my motor has started throwing a 550 error , when this happens the motor stops supplying an electrical current to the kiox, so the kiox runs on its own battery (so far so good - nice and rubust), but the motor itself still works and I can still get home , but then after a few minutes running on its own battery the kiox then gives a warning that it is not receiving any power and will shut down soon, which it does , leaving you stranded. You can switch it back on and it will run for another few minutes until it repeats the whole silly cycle, until after about 10 or 20 of these cycles whjch is about an hour of run time, the kiox finally runs out of power and wont power up. Why doesnt it just stay switched on until its run out of juice!? why make it auto power off when its not receiving power and hence making the motor shut down.

Its just stupid and badly designed.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@AME mentioned this in the Trek Rail Thread. Not a solution to this issue, but interesting for the future. The 2021 Nyon display (BUI350) lets you do software updates yourself :

Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 10.52.35.png

Nyon Manual Download page :

Controller :

Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 10.58.53.png

Still has to be connected and charged for the bike to work though :

Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 11.02.00.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles