Cleaning

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Usual bike cleaning products and stay well clear of pressure washers.
Garden hose spray is ideal. Probably best not to use dish soap as it is full of salt to soften water.
Really the usual eMTB motors are no more vulnerable than a regular bike.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hey Scott

I found a light hosing and soft brush and minimal detergent to get all the crap off and when all the crud is gone, I put the bike in a bike stand.

Next I remove the wheels, so I can get in and around the forks and rear end properly, chamois it all down, Then 'carefully' blow any remaining moisture out with an airline....brakes, pivots, chain links etc.

Next, using a dummy chain guide, I get some lube on the chain, and then generally lube all the pivot points etc.

I find using a dummy chain guide really helps to stop the cassette from getting to 'gunked up' and greatly increases the time between major clean up's.

Then I cover the Calipers with a bag and give the whole thing a light dusting of silicone spray, this really helps to stop the dirt sticking on the next ride and so it's easier to clean again, next time and finish the frame and wheels with a soft micro fibre cloth.

Refit the wheels and finally I make sure I spray a bit on silicone on all the wiper seal's, forks, shock and seat post. Rubber respond's well to a drop of silicone.

During the cleaning process, I am careful to check the bike over as i'm cleaning it and attend to any issues before I finish, so i'ts always ready for my next ride.

The whole process usually takes no more than 30-40 mins, perhaps an hour if it needs pads.

Cover on and a cup of tea.

Works for me :)

Did you have to do much to your beautiful new Orange it terms of frame protection against cable rub etc or do they come fairly well sorted?

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Those blues shoe covers from swimming baths etc are perfect for covering your disks while lashing bike spray about!
8663BB36-8D98-4D30-9A08-119A35CB85F4.jpeg

Scott installations

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
Worcestershire
Hey Scott

I found a light hosing and soft brush and minimal detergent to get all the crap off and when all the crud is gone, I put the bike in a bike stand.

Next I remove the wheels, so I can get in and around the forks and rear end properly, chamois it all down, Then 'carefully' blow any remaining moisture out with an airline....brakes, pivots, chain links etc.

Next, using a dummy chain guide, I get some lube on the chain, and then generally lube all the pivot points etc.

I find using a dummy chain guide really helps to stop the cassette from getting to 'gunked up' and greatly increases the time between major clean up's.

Then I cover the Calipers with a bag and give the whole thing a light dusting of silicone spray, this really helps to stop the dirt sticking on the next ride and so it's easier to clean again, next time and finish the frame and wheels with a soft micro fibre cloth.

Refit the wheels and finally I make sure I spray a bit on silicone on all the wiper seal's, forks, shock and seat post. Rubber respond's well to a drop of silicone.

During the cleaning process, I am careful to check the bike over as i'm cleaning it and attend to any issues before I finish, so i'ts always ready for my next ride.

The whole process usually takes no more than 30-40 mins, perhaps an hour if it needs pads.

Cover on and a cup of tea.

Works for me :)

Did you have to do much to your beautiful new Orange it terms of frame protection against cable rub etc or do they come fairly well sorted?
Some grt tips in there pal,I’ve been toying with the idea about a little air compressor any u can recommend?
I had the orange invisframed from new so should help in protecting the frame,I luv an hate having a new bike?hate getting it caked when new be glad when the honeymoon period is over ?all this wet weather is doing my nut in need to emigrate me thinks ?

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Some grt tips in there pal,I’ve been toying with the idea about a little air compressor any u can recommend?
I had the orange invisframed from new so should help in protecting the frame,I luv an hate having a new bike?hate getting it caked when new be glad when the honeymoon period is over ?all this wet weather is doing my nut in need to emigrate me thinks ?
Hey Scott

Yes I agree about new bike's, but they don't stay new for very long a few scuff's and scratches are all part of the fun I guess, I like the invisiframe idea, You said you had it done ? was that by Orange or did you get a kit ?

I bought my Compressor from Screwfix, cost about a £100.00 :) its a noisy little begger but great for tubeless and blowing off moisture.

Stanley 8216035SCR011 24Ltr Compressor with 5 Piece Accessory Kit 240V

I see its gone up a fiver but pretty sure that's the one. It's been reliable but I did very little research so probably better ones out there.

Scott installations

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
Worcestershire
Hey Scott

Yes I agree about new bike's, but they don't stay new for very long a few scuff's and scratches are all part of the fun I guess, I like the invisiframe idea, You said you had it done ? was that by Orange or did you get a kit ?

I bought my Compressor from Screwfix, cost about a £100.00 :) its a noisy little begger but great for tubeless and blowing off moisture.

Stanley 8216035SCR011 24Ltr Compressor with 5 Piece Accessory Kit 240V

I see its gone up a fiver but pretty sure that's the one. It's been reliable but I did very little research so probably better ones out there.
that’s grt cheers will have alook,bike was sent to invisframe from the shop as part of deal ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles