Cleaning linkages etc

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
My bike cost me a significant sum, so I need to look after it. My intention is to basically clean/lube it etc after every ride (so basically every Sunday afternoon). I actually enjoy the process...to a point.

My old hardtail was pretty easy to clean, but my FS ebike with it's linkages and motor is much more of a challenge. I use the power wash, but keep it away from the motor areas as best as I can, but the linkages and motor is where a huge proportion of the mud collects. I've contemplated and tried mudguards, but the front fender on my latest ride was a disaster: basically the mud was so thick it jammed between the mudguard and tyre so the front wheel couldn't rotate. I haven't bothered trying a rear guard as of yet (as I think they may give similar issues).

I've wondered about getting an air compressor to blast out the areas that I can't really jet wash as even various brushes don't really allow me to poke out all the mud and grit.

Anyone using an airline for this, or have better suggestions?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I do not use either a jet wash or a compressor, both will blast shit, water, grit etc into places they have no right to be. I stick to a range of brushes, a watering can and a bucket of hot soapy water. I also use Hope's Shit Shifter, neat for the transmission and diluted 10-1 for the rest of the bike. I use cheap one-litre capacity spray bottles from the local garden centre.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If a job is worth doing, it is worth doing well.

If muck is getting trapped under the mudguards, change your mudguards, or remove them entirely.

If you want to totally avoid mud etc getting stuck under the rear mudguard try one of these blades.

700 MOUNTAIN BIKING REAR MUDGUARD

They fit any seat tube, any wheel diameter and any size of rear travel. They can be added or removed from your bike in seconds. Best of all they are dead cheap! I have used them for years.

My current mudguards of choice are the short Mucky Nutz for the front and a slightly longer version for the rear. They model closely what was standard equipment for my current bike.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
You clearly have more patience than I ;-)

"Of human virtues, patience is most great."
-- Cato the Elder

I ride in a dry environment, so I generally use Surf City Garage Speed Demon on a rag, and then a chip brush for those areas I can't reach. For those rare times that my bike is covered in mud, I use a running garden hose (hose pipe to you), and Simple Green. Again, I use a rag and brush. NEVER do I direct a stream of water at the bearings, and NEVER do I use an air hose. Like Steve said, the directed blast will force debris and water past your seals and into the bearings.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles