In-car charging etc

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
Any results from the guys who were going to try charging from leisure batteries and inverters?
I'm currently working on my van (old school!) and will have a 110ah leisure battery - I'll only be using LED's, usb etc - but I'd like to charge the Levo battery. (I will have a 240v hook up for on-site.)
Looking at a pure sine wave 600w inverter plumbed in - I'm an electrical numpty, but I think this will be ok for the 300w-drawing Levo charger?
IMG_0579.JPG

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Ive test charged mine ok on a none sine wave inverter, havnt used it in the van yet as the campsite I use lets me charge it in the office

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
Sure. The Levo charger outputs less than 200W and a Bosch "fast" charger something like 250W. The efficiency should be around 90% so 300W is fine.

But don't connect this to a cigarette lighter socket, 15A is too much for this.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I bought a 300w pure sine wave inverter and it wouldn't charge my levo, kept cutting out every 10 seconds or so. Upgraded to 1000w and all good. I suspect 600w would be fine. I went for the 1000w as it came with a remote which let's me control it from the front of my transit.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Why'd you get a pure sine wave inverter, they're a fortune and from my experience not needed.
I'm an electronics engineer and wouldn't charge a 700 quid fairly complicated piece of electronics from a non sine charger - its more than just a battery. There are a few reports of US riders blowing batteries using cheap chargers. Not worth the risk IMO.

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
@MarkH Hi Mark, would you mind listing out the make and model of the kit you are using to charge the Levo battery please ? I want to do the same thing for when I do trips away, with a leisure battery, inverter/charger in my car, to top up the battery when I stop for a break at trail centres (I'm assuming it would take a 50% charged battery up to at least 70% in an hour or so ?!)

Thanks!

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
@MarkH Hi Mark, would you mind listing out the make and model of the kit you are using to charge the Levo battery please ? I want to do the same thing for when I do trips away, with a leisure battery, inverter/charger in my car, to top up the battery when I stop for a break at trail centres (I'm assuming it would take a 50% charged battery up to at least 70% in an hour or so ?!)

Thanks!
I went for this
Power Inverter Pure Sine Wave-1000... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CTHZCC7?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Just connected to transit customer connection point rear of drivers seat and mounted the remote on the double cab bulkhead.

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
The first one no, only 100W (and 110V). The second it's not really clear how much power the AC output can supply...

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Thanks @eFat , it's really a minefield trying to find an all-in-one solution, hopefully someone can come forth with the answer, otherwise it's the leisure battery, inverter route I guess.

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
My mate has looked at the ALLPOWER unit and I quote him below....anyone comments please ?

>>>
ALLPOWERS 288Wh/78000mAh Portable Solar Generator Power Inverter Power Station Camping Emergency Power Supply with Silent DC/AC Inverter, Charged by Solar Panel/ Wall Outlet/Car for Camping, Home, CPAP or Emergency Backup https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DVGYDL5/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_KAdHBbV39H3J0

The bike charger has an output of 4.0A @ 42V, so an 8 hour charging period would require around 32000mha and this unit gives 78000mha thus 2 complete charges, in theory.

Only issue is that we stop for a 2 hour lunch break, at most, so the battery will only take around 8000mha of charge assuming 100% efficiency which will give us an additional 25% battery on top of what we had when we stopped.

The calcs above assume the battery takes all of the 4.0A which is doubtful. I think in real life It will work slightly better but not much. Also I have assumed that the battery pack gives a linear 230V and doesn't have some strange sine wave or cheap inverter that gives a messy or pulse AC supply. Hence a UPS unit would probably be better as they are generally give a very 'clean' AC output.

>>>>

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
My mate has looked at the ALLPOWER unit and I quote him below....anyone comments please ?

>>>
ALLPOWERS 288Wh/78000mAh Portable Solar Generator Power Inverter Power Station Camping Emergency Power Supply with Silent DC/AC Inverter, Charged by Solar Panel/ Wall Outlet/Car for Camping, Home, CPAP or Emergency Backup https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DVGYDL5/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_KAdHBbV39H3J0

The bike charger has an output of 4.0A @ 42V, so an 8 hour charging period would require around 32000mha and this unit gives 78000mha thus 2 complete charges, in theory.

Only issue is that we stop for a 2 hour lunch break, at most, so the battery will only take around 8000mha of charge assuming 100% efficiency which will give us an additional 25% battery on top of what we had when we stopped.

The calcs above assume the battery takes all of the 4.0A which is doubtful. I think in real life It will work slightly better but not much. Also I have assumed that the battery pack gives a linear 230V and doesn't have some strange sine wave or cheap inverter that gives a messy or pulse AC supply. Hence a UPS unit would probably be better as they are generally give a very 'clean' AC output.

>>>>
On paper the second unit should be just about capable as it says it gives 350W at 240v. I've seen posts where Goal Zero 400 units have been used to charge a levo, and the Allpowers is only slightly lower capacity.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles