Cheeb issues :-(

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
That
Hi there,

Had the same problems on my Cheeb.
Started at 200km just after the build, contacted Dengfu without an answer, so investigated myself and found out the on/off button is not waterproof, I bypassed the switch which solved the problem until last week :confused:

After doing some muddy terrain, cleaned the bike to hear the ticking noise again.o_O
Checked all the wiring to the display and motor and opened the battery connector (removed the white smudge) to find out it was moisturized inside! Seems Dengfu needs improvement on the electrics.

Hope this info helps for future owners.

View attachment 74001
That bike looks like a beast!!!

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
From everything you read here, you get the impression that Dengfu is very interested in sales but less interested in support. What a pity!
You also have to appreciate that the Chinese have their Covid problems along with production and logistics problems the rest of the world has and some translation foibles + things like the Chinese New year which effectively shut the shop completely.

So far to date any question I have had, has been kindly and well supported, albeit up to a week or so after receiving the Email. Its not ideal but seems to work if you expect a bit of a time delay.

uef2

Nov 22, 2021
Germany
You also have to appreciate that the Chinese have their Covid problems along with production and logistics problems the rest of the world has and some translation foibles + things like the Chinese New year which effectively shut the shop completely.

So far to date any question I have had, has been kindly and well supported, albeit up to a week or so after receiving the Email. Its not ideal but seems to work if you expect a bit of a time delay.
I don't want to contradict that at all, only the answers before the purchase were prompt and very detailed, afterwards rather hesitant and brief. For example, I would like to know whether the firmware on my motor is up to date. Not really a big deal, one would think, but I never got a concrete answer. Everyone has their own experiences, this is what this forum lives on 🙂.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I don't want to contradict that at all, only the answers before the purchase were prompt and very detailed, afterwards rather hesitant and brief. For example, I would like to know whether the firmware on my motor is up to date. Not really a big deal, one would think, but I never got a concrete answer. Everyone has their own experiences, this is what this forum lives on 🙂.
Perhaps one doesn't need to go back to Dengfu for a motor enquiry, I thought Bafang built the engine ;)

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
secondhand cheeb

Whats a 'cheeb' ?
If this is a reference to ebikes then for gods sake I think we should have some standardization.

Its ok, Ive just worked it out - Chinese Ebike.

Though I thought POS was how all things cheapo Chinese were to be described.

Last edited:

uef2

Nov 22, 2021
Germany
My engine makes a whirring noise when engaging and disengaging the clutch. Does anyone know and should I re-grease the gearbox?

Update: The motor makes a noise when it cuts out at about 26 km/h and then starts again. Does anyone know and what can you do. The noise has been coming for a few days, the engine is 4 months old!

Last edited:

Timmy65

Feb 22, 2021
Netherlands
Great, e10 bike with M500 and 13a firmware, better than 10a.i like it more than my E9 with M600.😉
I drove 2400 km and have a weird problem.
I had all the problems mentioned here, ok, i can live with it..
But now something weird is going on.
If i ride and stop and start again the power shuts down. Not always, but more often lately. I power up again and can drive again.
But it seems that if i give more power on the pedals there is some sort of overcurrent that shuts the motor down.also when it drives well the assist of the motor shocks sometimes. I made the clutch dry in the one way bearing, but no result.
I opened the motor and checked everything
No cables broken. In the besst everything is ok. I can make the position sensor calibration. But torque sensor calibration does not work on besst 1.26 and 1.23.
I changed motor cable, and hmi, but no difference noticed.
My hmi sometimes also peaks at 99.9 km if i suddenly stop.
I flashed the firmware again.no result.
Last thing i can do is to try a new controller or the speed sensor..
Is somebody experiencing the same behavior, and have suggestions ,please let me know..

Timmy65

Feb 22, 2021
Netherlands
Great, e10 bike with M500 and 13a firmware, better than 10a.i like it more than my E9 with M600.😉
If i ride and stop and start again the power shuts down. Not always, but more often lately. I power up again and can drive again.
But it seems that if i give more power on the pedals there is some sort of overcurrent that shuts the motor down.also when it drives well the assist of the motor shocks sometimes. I made the clutch dry in the one way bearing, but no result.
No cables broken. In the besst everything is ok. I can make the position sensor calibration. But torque sensor calibration does not work on besst 1.26 and 1.23.
Is somebody experiencing the same behavior, and have suggestions ,please let me know..

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france

it is a problem of speed sensor, personally solved after replacing fixation screw by another in alloy (non magnetic), several others by distance between sensor and magnet. check your connections first

Timmy65

Feb 22, 2021
Netherlands
[QUOTE="Timmy65, post: 387150, member: 15894"
Thank you, i will try that later on today
[/QUOTE]
Update, it was not the speed sensor. I switched the sensor from my m600 dengfu mo9, and the behavior was the same.
I called Bafang Netherlands, and there was a very helpful technician😃.who gave me some tips.
I ended up switching my m500 motor to my older bike, the E09, and there were no problems with the motor. I also switched my m600 motor to my E10 frame and it had the same problems.Looks like there is some malfunctioning in the bms of the battery of the E10, due to the moister problems mentioned in this forum..i am not an electrician, but
maybe the battery needs some repair??
I have to test more options, because i have a 48v to 12v converter for my lights what can cause the problem..

Last edited:

rtp

Nov 21, 2021
USA
So 90% of all EBikes then, as thats where they are all manufactured :cool:

True enough, but there are also different standards of quality and other things (e.g. longevity) even the 'same' product, branded for different manufacturers, is held to. Entirely possible, for example a cheap no-name fork comes out of the same factory as a RockShox or other brand, even copies go 'quality' - but with wildly different results and standards etc.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Entirely possible, for example a cheap no-name fork comes out of the same factory as a RockShox or other brand, even copies go 'quality' - but with wildly different results and standards etc.
Same standard, same quality control, same manufacturing company, same manufacturing materials, different branding on the outside = bigger hole in your wallet. :cool:

Dancarbon

Jul 16, 2021
Twickenham
My m600 keeps cutting out (screen goes blank and no power)
When I turn it on again it rides fine.
It seems to happen as soon as I stand up and peddle hard mainly.
Anyone have any ideas, much appreciated

vudu

Dec 13, 2021
Sydney AU
My m600 keeps cutting out (screen goes blank and no power)
When I turn it on again it rides fine.
It seems to happen as soon as I stand up and peddle hard mainly.
Anyone have any ideas, much appreciated

Was having similar problems. Cleaned connections on battery and frame. Was a little damp and dirty. Used a cloth on a blade to clean the slots on the battery. Applied dielectric grease upon reinstall. Hour ride today. No probs. I think water got in when I last washed the bike. Also applied PVC gaff tape to cover hoping to prevent future ingress.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Good points Hagbard, I might not overdo the silicone then. The problem is I tend to pamper my Current Yeti SB6 A LOT and wash and clean it after nearly every ride. I might have to learn to be ok with a non-hose washed dirtyish bike.
Given where you live, washing would seem to be easily avoided. I imagine dust and some light mud now and then, unless you're looking for mud. Folks over in the UK look as though they're often in mud and water, so washing is needed and doesn't need to be any worse than their riding conditions. We have the luxury of drier riding conditions and have no pressing need to get our bikes wet like that; it's an advantage that shouldn't be wasted. I use a super soft brush and some compressed air for dust. Every now and then after dusting, a wipe down with mild wash n wax solution.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I use a super soft brush and some compressed air for dust. Every now and then after dusting, a wipe down with mild wash n wax solution.
Compressed air, dust and connectors / electrical components almost always spells future troubles. Try to use a vacumn cleaner to pull the abrasive non conductive dust out of the motor rather than driving it even further into the connector and under the rubber seals.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Compressed air, dust and connectors / electrical components almost always spells future troubles. Try to use a vacumn cleaner to pull the abrasive non conductive dust out of the motor rather than driving it even further into the connector and under the rubber seals.
yeah, you have to consider where and how to use the compressed air; awesome in brake calipers, inside of wheel stays, the cluster, derailer, rubber chainstay protector. Air gets where the brush doesn't. But, yes, a bit of consideration does come into play (mechanical sympathy?)

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
Can somebody advise how to measure battery voltage with the battery being outside of the frame? In other words how to bypass the on/off switch?(battery outside of the frame)

Dancarbon

Jul 16, 2021
Twickenham
Motor was switching itself off (screen going blank and no power) whenever I stood up and peddled.
Pressed the button on the bars and it would start up again.
Did this for a few weeks so today I did as suggested and cleaned the battery terminals and the conecting terminals and now the bike switches off as soon as I peddle (runs for under a second) any ideas, many thanks, Dan

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
Get a hairdryer and dry out everything above and below the battery hole. Don't melt anything though.

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
Motor was switching itself off (screen going blank and no power) whenever I stood up and peddled.
Pressed the button on the bars and it would start up again.
Did this for a few weeks so today I did as suggested and cleaned the battery terminals and the conecting terminals and now the bike switches off as soon as I peddle (runs for under a second) any ideas, many thanks, Dan
maybe this will help.

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
Hi guys, after some problems that i have had with water in the cables (resolved it with the hair dryer) my bike now has another peoblem: i cannot switch the bike on with the third button on my remote. I just tried the Besst Tool and while connected display and the remote were ok (i tried it out cause with the On/Off button on the frame in position Off the display first shows 0%, for reading the controller in the Besst Tool you then need to switch ON the On/Off button on the frame, then battery showed 100%; the display was always on while connected to the Besst Tool and all menu options worked fine with all 3 buttons on the remote). I even tried to recalibrate the position sensor with success - the motor was spinning for a few seconds like it should. I updated the controller with the new firmware - succeeded. Afterwards when disconnecting Besst Tool display was shutting off as normal. After plugging in all cables like it should, pushing them inside pretty hard so that all connections were ok i tried to switch on the display - nothing.
Does anyone know what options i have to start the display and battery without using the remote? Is there any option so that i could proff that the motor is working?
Does anyone have another idea where the problem might be 🤷‍♂️🙈?

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
Guys, another quick question. Can it have to do with the Voltage that is showing only 50,74 V in the Besst Tool? In other screenshots (see other picture) of the Besst Tool when my bike was still working it always showed approx. 54 volts :unsure::unsure:
20220518_150101.jpg

IMG_20210817_102836.jpg

captainhightop

Feb 26, 2021
UK
If the ignition circuit (battery on/off switch) is cycling on and off due to the usual water ingress, it could be oscillating fast enough between 0 and 54 and the voltage detection circuit wouldn't follow it fast enough to see either 54 or 0v, but it might show something in between. You could link out the switch circuit inside the battery to test this theory. I just hope you've not bricked the controller comms like I seem to have done with my two motors (m600 and m510).

edit: I don't mean the actual external switch though, it's water getting in behind the pogo pins in the battery dock that is incredibly difficult to stop or get rid of.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles