Cassette stock

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Just as an FYI

I bought a new shimano XT 12 speed cassette two weeks ago and on my first ride a tooth snapped off *grr*
I took it back to the shop who said he's going to contact Shimano about refunding under warranty but when I asked about a replacement he said they were showing the next stock delivery from Shimano as July 2023.

We checked Deore,SLX,XT - all were July-October next year.
I even looked at SRAM and that was just as bad.

I found a cassette online which should get me riding again and I plan to buy a 2nd on pay day as a spare. But the spare parts problems are getting worse and worse. Apparently most of Shimano and SRAM parts have been bought up for this years new bikes.

Might be worth you guys having a spare cassette/chain/chainring in the garage if you don't already :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just as an FYI

I bought a new shimano XT 12 speed cassette two weeks ago and on my first ride a tooth snapped off *grr*
I realise that this is undesirable, but is the bike unrideable? Which gear has the missing tooth?

For reference I had a bike with the front ring missing several teeth and it rode just fine. Here is a pic showing one of the missing teeth. What did for the ring was the general state of the rest of the teeth. All it needed was a new chain to show it up!

Big rings.jpg

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Being a cassette it's not ideal - shifting if it tries to shift as the missing tooth goes by is a disaster

I've left it with the bike shop as they wanted to send pics to Shimano for a warranty claim. I managed to find another online which will be here this week, but a lot of places I checked are out of stock so thought it worth a mention as I suspect a fair few people won't be riding later this year when they're completely gone :(

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles