creaky cassette!

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
My stupid sram SX cassette is creaking when starting to pedal. I already cleaned it some and put grease the threads on the center lock. It's quiet for about half an hour and then it starts creaking again. What gives? It's creaking in any gear, but just when starting to pedal from a complete stop.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Are you completely sure its the cassette?
Reason I ask is if its not been touched and its not loose on the freehub, then I would take your jockey wheels apart and check them out as they can creak like hell when worn.
I've had that T Shirt with XT jockey wheels. Replaced with Nukeproof ones and the embarrassing noise disappeared.

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
Interesting, I will check them out. I was pretty sure as the creaking stopped after reassembly. I will also try to clean the freehub from outside. The cassette is not loose on it, but there is like a 1 mm of movement, I thought that's normal?

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Some have a plastic spacer behind the cassette to take up any play. I once made one from a milk bottle in an emergency away weekend and I'm pretty sure its still working a year later on a mates bike.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Interesting, I will check them out. I was pretty sure as the creaking stopped after reassembly. I will also try to clean the freehub from outside. The cassette is not loose on it, but there is like a 1 mm of movement, I thought that's normal?
that sounds like the free hub bearings have gone.
*Edit* that would also sound like a creak.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles