Levo Gen 3 Cascade Link 2022+ Levo Long Shock Kit

javier161

Jan 28, 2022
miami
1 turn of preload on my spring, just to eliminate free play.
And yes, long link needs way lower spring rate.
I would say 25% is pretty small SAG, not much small bump sensitivity.
Did you have your TTX22m.2 changed to 230x65 or you are getting a new shock?
Tried same setup as you today and got same 15mm sag with 548 spring, but interestley bike rode fine with that little sag.
Have you tried it with 19mm sag?

BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia
Tried same setup as you today and got same 15mm sag with 548 spring, but interestley bike rode fine with that little sag.
Have you tried it with 19mm sag?
I would be surprised if you got different SAG with same shock, same spring rate and same rider weight.
15 mm of SAG [23%] is maybe good for XC but all: Specialized, Cascade Components and Öhlins recommend 28-30% SAG.
With 23% there is just not enough droop travel for such bike to ride well - there is no excuse to make pogo stick out of Levo.
I still have not tried my bike with 29% SAG as the weather is not cooperating :)

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Heyyy
So i read this thread, and in summary, with long link and 230×65mm shock"
BB will be ~15mm higher - not compressed
and BB will be in the same position as on standard Levo gen3 when fully compressed, right?

so for example, if I want to run my BB a bit higher (coz some trails have a lot of rocks), I could just run a bit less SAG/higher pressure.

Wayne509

Dec 4, 2019
Fife Scotland
Very well made ….. certainly seems like it will add a bit of weight .

Shame I can’t afford a rear shock to try it just now 😂😂

AB7CCBB7-5A1B-48C3-8B61-2CB7CD07EB9E.jpeg C163A240-3613-4611-8EFF-FB1F6AA17C6E.jpeg

MISTER HYDE

Oct 9, 2019
ITALY
Heyyy
So i read this thread, and in summary, with long link and 230×65mm shock"
BB will be ~15mm higher - not compressed
and BB will be in the same position as on standard Levo gen3 when fully compressed, right?
The geometry with Cascade Long Link is identical to the standard one.
Increase total travel and all compressed will be 15mm more than original.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
'identical' - and what does it mean? identical when not compressed? identical at SAG point? or identical when fully compressed? or dynamic height during a ride will be the same ? (this would be identical for me)

Increase total travel and all compressed will be 15mm more than original.
so when fully compressed, BB will be 15mm lower ??? which means geometry is NOT identical already...

People on this thread mensioned (few of them) that BB is 15mm HIGHER when not compressed.

Last edited:

MISTER HYDE

Oct 9, 2019
ITALY
yes, they said 'identical' - and what does it mean? identical when not compressed? identical in SAG point? or identical when fully compressed? or dynamic height during a ride will be the same ? (this would be identical for me)

so when fully compressed, BB will be 15mm lower ??? which means geometry is NOT identical already...

People on this thread mensioned (few of them) that BB is 15mm HIGHER when not compressed.

Identical when not compressed. I measured 2 mm BB difference static.

If they say higher or lower 15mm static it's not possible.

The wheel increases total travel by 15mm, so the bike sags a little more when fully compressed, but you hardly notice it. The advantage is that the suspension works differently from the original. No noteworthy dynamic changes if the suspension has it right SAG.

Last edited:

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
thanks for info, however it's a bit worrying that everyone says something completely different :)

so this is no good for me, geometry definietely is not IDENTICAL, as my BB will be lower most of the time, and when fully compressed, even 12-15mm lower !! on my trails (imagine rocky trails from Finale Ligure) this is undesirable .... :/
I've stricken my BB/battery with rocks many times already, running high setting.
(I wrote an email to Cascade, we'll see)

Last edited:

BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia
BB height comparison - static, suspension not compressed. My Levo Expert S4 sits 5-6 mm higher with Cascade long kit. I'm good with it as I was bashing my cranks and pedals quite a lot.

Left: OEM / Right: Cascade long kit

20230207-121143.jpg

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
I've just measured mine BB, exactly at 341cm.... and it's high setting (and assegai 2.5, dhr 2.4)....
also double checked my shock - 210mm and ZEB - 160mm.
WTF... spesh says it should be 349mm Turbo Levo Geometry App Page | Specialized.com

btw, if your BB is only 5-6mm higher, but in compressed state, your BB is ~9mm lower than with normal link, i can imagine more battery/motor bashing....

Last edited:

MISTER HYDE

Oct 9, 2019
ITALY
I've just measured mine BB, exactly at 341cm.... and it's high setting (and assegai 2.5, dhr 2.4)....
also double checked my shock - 210mm and ZEB - 160mm.
WTF... spesh says it should be 349mm Turbo Levo Geometry App Page | Specialized.com
Because original Specialized use 2.6" tires, if you change to 2.4" it's normal the BB is lower.

One solution should be to set the fork to 170 with a neutral head angle.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
such a big difference? original tire didn't look way bigger.
ok. this weekend I'll try with 29" at the back

MISTER HYDE

Oct 9, 2019
ITALY
Long link kit raises the BB by 15mm.
It doesn't seem right to me. Static is pretty much the same. With the long shock there is more SAG but the BB lower 3 mm more than original, so where are 15 mm ?? Only when fully compressed that happens rarely.

You should argue better.

Last edited:

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
It doesn't seem right to me. Static is pretty much the same. With the long shock there is more SAG but the BB lower 3 mm more than original, so where are 15 mm ?? Only when fully compressed that happens rarely.

You should argue better.
Standard shock and standard link BB is 342mm unladen and 305mm @30% shock stroke.

Long link kit with 65mm stroke shock BB is approx 355mm unladen and @30% sag approx 318mm (might explain the reduced pedal strokes).

Both in neutral and low. Figures aren’t 100% accurate but for the purpose of this argument they are close enough with a tape measure and a calibrated eyeball.

Oh and fully compressed suspension on a Levo is a very common thing unless you ride fire trails.

MISTER HYDE

Oct 9, 2019
ITALY
Standard shock and standard link BB is 342mm unladen and 305mm @30% shock stroke.

Long link kit with 65mm stroke shock BB is approx 355mm unladen and @30% sag approx 318mm (might explain the reduced pedal strokes).

Both in neutral and low. Figures aren’t 100% accurate but for the purpose of this argument they are close enough with a tape measure and a calibrated eyeball.

Oh and fully compressed suspension on a Levo is a very common thing unless you ride fire trails.
342 original and 355 with Link ? Is not what I check on my Levo and look post #253 too.

I live in the Alps - Italy the DH are not certain fire road but technical trails and I am expert rider. ;)

The link is more progressive and if the shock absorber compression is set right, there are no big problems bottoming. I use EXT coil shock that is very elevated compression.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
342 original and 355 with Link ? Is not what I check on my Levo and look post #253 too.

I live in the Alps - Italy the DH are not certain fire road but technical trails and I am expert rider. ;)

The link is more progressive and if the shock absorber compression is set right, there are no big problems bottoming. I use EXT coil shock that is very elevated compression.
Check your measurements given you are the only one who has ended up with these figures.

HBO has your bottoming out events covered.

BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia
Long link kit raises the BB by 15mm.
Please stop spreading these false information.
Unless you can show us real measurements, I advise other riders to ignore your unproven "theories".
Seeing such statements is not very helpful for others to make their decision.

Below is the measurements I took on fully stock 2022 Levo Expert S4 with 160 mm Fox 38 vs. long kit.

Left: OEM [349 mm] / Right: Cascade long kit [355 mm] - 6 mm difference

20230207-121143.jpg

Below official numbers from Specialized website: BB height 350 mm - 1 mm off from my measurement due to static SAG.

BB-height.jpg

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Next question :) about the new RockShox Super Deluxe. Which tune is good for this link?
air can: linear, progressive
Rebound: degressive, linear, progressive
compression: high, low, medium

anyone has some insights ?
stock RS deluxe has:
RS-DLX-SEL-C1
RS-DLX-SEL-C1 - 14t26995959
EYE TO EYE / STROKE 210X55
AIR VOLUME DEBONAIR LINEAR
REBOUND TUNE LINEAR
COMPRESSION TUNE LC
VOLUME REDUCER 0 NEG 3 POS
CHECK TUNE 0 - LIGHT
REBOUND CLICKS 10
MAX AIR PRESSURE (PSI) 360

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Please stop spreading these false information.
Unless you can show us real measurements, I advise other riders to ignore your unproven "theories".
Seeing such statements is not very helpful for others to make their decision.

Below is the measurements I took on fully stock 2022 Levo Expert S4 with 160 mm Fox 38 vs. long kit.

Left: OEM [349 mm] / Right: Cascade long kit [355 mm] - 6 mm difference

20230207-121143.jpg

Below official numbers from Specialized website: BB height 350 mm - 1 mm off from my measurement due to static SAG.
My figures are accurate and stand. They are facts not theories.

There is a reason the long link kit is meant to be run in the low setting as it raises the goddam BB!

BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia
My figures are accurate and stand. They are facts not theories.

There is a reason the long link kit is meant to be run in the low setting as it raises the goddam BB!
Facts without data and proof are not facts.

Also, where did you get information that "the long link kit is meant to be run in the low setting"?
No mention of such suggestion on the Cascade Components website.

However, there is this information on their website [which seems to be as accurate as their recommended spring rates]:

Cascade-2.jpg

Therefore, in this case, I trust only my measurements, which seem to vary from the producer's claims and other users' information.

Dmaguirenz

Nov 22, 2021
New zealand
I'll add my 2cs, my stock expert S5 2022 on spec 2.6 243mm BB cente to ground. With the ext e storia dropped to 339mm ( which is because the e storia won't extend out to 55m) changing to 2.5 assguy and 2.4 dhr 2 BB goes to 341mm. Cascade long link with fox X2 230x65 takes the BB to 351mm. Fox 38 170 with long shock kit goes to 353mm. I tend to agree the 15mm is added from raising the BB. But to me it rides better and I get very few battery skid plate hits now. So it suits me as a heavier rider ( and the bike is slacker than claimed at 64degrees stock. So only other thing I can think k of is the rear triangle even tho I have no idea how goes out of wack ??

Most of this was driven by the e storia that I brought as it doesn't extend out to 55mm so I measures the bottom bracket and it was like 8mm lower than the printed spec measuremts. I ended up giving the ext supplier a hard time....and as it turn out when I put everything back to stock...it wasn't even the measurements spec printed for my bike ...so then I measured up all the other changes...been a but of a learning curve tbh

Last edited:

freerideandi

Mar 21, 2019
Germany
So I finally had a chance to ride my bike with long link and Öhlins TTX22 M.2 with 502 lbs/in spring which gives me 29% of SAG.

Since some riders reported problems with bottoming out the coil shock when set at around 30% SAG, first I took the bike to the city and hucked it to flat. My Fox 38 completely gave up bottoming out hard while the Öhlins TTX22 M.2 was smooth all the way. You cannot tell if and when the travel ends. I was simply blown away, just like my fork.

Next, I went for a ride on the known trail in the woods: jumps, berms, and downhill sections with big roots. UNBELIEVABLE! I forgot how compliant coil shocks can be. The rear feels much more planted, it tracks the terrain like crazy. I can only compare it to my 190mm travel analog bike with CCDB coil shock. Smooth and plush.

There is one problem however. Now my fork (Fox 38) feels like crap compared to the rear suspension. I think Smashpot should fix this and make front and rear suspension feel more alike. For reference, in my analog bike I have Marzocchi 55 RC3 Evo V2 Ti + Avalanche Cartridge. It's the definition of how the fork should perform. Hopefully, I can emulate this feeling by converting Fox 38 to coil.

2023-02-19-14-15-52-085.jpg

2023-02-19-17-53-37-346.jpg
What do you weight?

BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia
So I finally had a chance to ride my bike with long link and Öhlins TTX22 M.2 with 502 lbs/in spring which gives me 29% of SAG.

Since some riders reported problems with bottoming out the coil shock when set at around 30% SAG, first I took the bike to the city and hucked it to flat. My Fox 38 completely gave up bottoming out hard while the Öhlins TTX22 M.2 was smooth all the way. You cannot tell if and when the travel ends. I was simply blown away, just like my fork.

Next, I went for a ride on the known trail in the woods: jumps, berms, and downhill sections with big roots. UNBELIEVABLE! I forgot how compliant coil shocks can be. The rear feels much more planted, it tracks the terrain like crazy. I can only compare it to my 190mm travel analog bike with CCDB coil shock. Smooth and plush.

There is one problem however. Now my fork (Fox 38) feels like crap compared to the rear suspension. I think Smashpot should fix this and make front and rear suspension feel more alike. For reference, in my analog bike I have Marzocchi 55 RC3 Evo V2 Ti + Avalanche Cartridge. It's the definition of how the fork should perform. Hopefully, I can emulate this feeling by converting Fox 38 to coil.

2023-02-19-14-15-52-085.jpg

2023-02-19-17-53-37-346.jpg

BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia
What do you weight?
85kg [187 lbs]

More details about my setup and spring rates here:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles