Carrying a spare battery Cross Country

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
I had tried a handlebar bag. It was great for storage. It can hold everything you need as well as your battery. No more Back Pack. Trouble was the bloody thing was so heavy it needed continual adjustment of the bar bag straps to keep it away from the wheel/forks. It also impeded the cables.

So I made this.
20200109_142201.jpg
It's a bit Fred Dibnah I know but it works well.
20200109_142347.jpg
The bar straps still take most of the weight but the "Thing"
keeps it clear of everything.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
flipping eck, I dont think I could cope with that extra weight on the bars.. I used to notice it when I cable tied a spare inner tube to the front mudguard of my MX bike

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
flipping eck, I dont think I could cope with that extra weight on the bars.. I used to notice it when I cable tied a spare inner tube to the front mudguard of my MX bike
Yeah , I dont like it but it's better there than on your back when your doing 50, 60,70 miles.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Yeah , I dont like it but it's better there than on your back when your doing 50, 60,70 miles.

do you have a decent backpack? ive always used a camelback blowfish that I usually have 2-3 litres of water in plus all the usual tools and spares. Ive always ridden like that so it would feel weird if I didnt have that weight on my shoulders. Ive done 50-60 miles a day on my old non e-bike with the pack including all the kit for an overnight stay in it..
I just got an EVOC pack so that I can carry my spare Levo battery and it fits so well and its weight distribution is so good that its easy to overload it..

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
do you have a decent backpack? ive always used a camelback blowfish that I usually have 2-3 litres of water in plus all the usual tools and spares. Ive always ridden like that so it would feel weird if I didnt have that weight on my shoulders. Ive done 50-60 miles a day on my old non e-bike with the pack including all the kit for an overnight stay in it..
I just got an EVOC pack so that I can carry my spare Levo battery and it fits so well and its weight distribution is so good that its easy to overload it..
I suppose it's "each to his own" but , personally I would like the weight on the bars.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
That must make your bike handle like a wheelbarrow!

I use a ebike specific backpack with battery compartment and back protector. The battery sits in a neoprene compartment secured by velcro. You don't really notice it after a while.

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk

I use a ebike specific backpack with battery compartment and back protector. The battery sits in a neoprene compartment secured by velcro. You don't really notice it after a while.
I only intend to use it on very long rides. I dont notice that much difference when riding. I just do XC . I would rather the weight be on the bars than my back.

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk

My wheelbarrow can go around corners really good.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
I suppose it's "each to his own" but , personally I would like the weight on the bars.
I have never heard of anyone preferring carrying an extra 4KG on their handlebars instead of evenly distributed on their back or at least on the frame. Having it on the handlebars would lead to a seriously unbalanced front-end and undoubtedly affects the handling of the bike and may even be dangerous due to the reduced reaction times?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles