CamelBak K.U.D.U. pack for carrying spare battery

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I'm looking at the some of the smaller KUDU packs for carrying a spare Shimano battery. Will the older 8L or newer 10L fit a battery plus some essential tools and snacks? Anyone have first hand experience with the older and newer KUDU's? Is it worth buying the newer one for more $$? I don't know if detaching the back protector is something I need...

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
My old pack is the 9l mule and yes a battery will fit in it ok with a little room for other bits but it’s not a very comfy carry with a battery . Camelback don’t seem to allow for the back protector when quoting volume in those kudu packs , my daughter has the larger kudu and uses it without back protector a lot .
I’ve also got the mule Lr 15 I wouldn’t want anything much smaller if I was carrying a battery . I found on a long day a bladder full of water a little food a few spare clothes coat and the usual tools pump etc , then add a battery even 15l is small , and it’s a miserable and heavy load to carry on a bike . I would be using my hawg or a bigger walking day pack that spreads the load better in winter when I need a few extra bits of clothing etc .
It’s easier to pull in the compression straps on a bigger bag than struggle for space

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would recommend getting a pack that is a: designed to take a battery, and b: has a back protector of some sort.

There are a fair few packs designed for lugging batteries, where they have securing pockets/straps designed to keep the battery from moving around, most of them also have built in back protectors.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I see you have a meta , a mate who also owns a meta strapoed his battery to the lower part of the top tube for a long ride we , planned . It was a proper bodge but the idea is still in my head for future , we all felt it has potential .

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I see you have a meta , a mate who also owns a meta strapoed his battery to the lower part of the top tube for a long ride we , planned . It was a proper bodge but the idea is still in my head for future , we all felt it has potential .

That's awesome! I actually never thought about that until you mentioned it. I
bet some paint protector and straps will do the trick. I think this is the route I might take on extended rides rather than bear the weight burden on my back!

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
That's awesome! I actually never thought about that until you mentioned it. I
bet some paint protector and straps will do the trick. I think this is the route I might take on extended rides rather than bear the weight burden on my back!
It was a very hot day And carrying enough water plus battery etc on our backs soon became a no go . My Idea use soft but grippy foam rubber over the top tube and strap the battery on top of the top just in front of the seatpost Using the rubber backed mtb strap on Velcro straps , or the mutherload straps ,etc . Also a neoprene battery cover to protect it

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
WeeCog make some pretty cool bags, each one custom to your frame - I always thought one of these might work

Cage Large

image_1024x1024.jpg

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Good to have a second reference for a custom battery bag builder...

I had www.bike-bag.co.uk build me an eBike battery bag for one of my other eBikes. He's very knowledgeable about building internal strapping into frame bags to support the extra weight of batteries. The material he uses is Cordura 1000D, which is very strong stuff. I'll have to post some pics of the bag later...

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
WeeCog make some pretty cool bags, each one custom to your frame - I always thought one of these might work

Cage Large

View attachment 9264
I’ve got a similar bag to that , Blackburn I think , it fits inside the triangle , may work on some bikes , but there’s no room inside the triangle on a meta for anything other than a tube bag in the front . Not tried it on top of the top tube worth a try I guess, but I think the battery needs strapping tight to some soft grippy rubber that holds it in place

Pic shows how it needs to fit , looks crap but isn’t in the way when riding .

70ECFB71-99FF-494B-AA90-3E8F5CB0D302.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes forgot about your shock mounting, I think on the Vitus you could mount under the down tube

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
I put my spare battery in the rear rack bag, along with my flask and tools etc etc...works a treat. But then I don’t do mtb’ing as such, just canal paths, cycle paths etc etc

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles