Carrying a spare battery?

FOG

Oct 5, 2018
Sheffield UK
After moaning in a different thread about having to pedal up a big hill after my battery expired, I have decided to buy a spare battery. But how do you carry the damn thing? I am E8010 powered so its a big lump. I saw an earlier thread about suitable backpacks but last week I went amusingly [for spectators] over the bars and landed on my back. If I had a 2-3kg battery in my pack it could have done some damage. Any solutions people have come up with?

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
Evoc backpack, with back protector plate! Very high quality backpacks.
Even comes in a e-bike version now, with spesific room for battery. I`m considering swapping it for the ebike type myself now.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
When I'm carrying a spare it's in a regular 'non-ebike specific' backpack with a back protector and the battery is in a padded pouch. Usually, those rides are long and not super technical/extreme so the chance of an OTB is pretty much zero.
I just did a 88km ride with 2300m elevation on Monday and both batteries went down to one bar I couldn't do it on one 700Wh.

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
After moaning in a different thread about having to pedal up a big hill after my battery expired, I have decided to buy a spare battery. But how do you carry the damn thing? I am E8010 powered so its a big lump. I saw an earlier thread about suitable backpacks but last week I went amusingly [for spectators] over the bars and landed on my back. If I had a 2-3kg battery in my pack it could have done some damage. Any solutions people have come up with?
What bike do you ride?

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
If you want to do it cheap, just buy an MX back protector plate, cut it to size, then throw it in your bag behind your water bladder.

You could buy some soft foam to throw in around the battery to keep it from shifting and moving in the bag while you ride

PUROR.jpg

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Before you go down the road of carrying a spare, would in not be better to get back to the car or van and do a swap and go back out again. This is what we do, although you might ride big loops and need a spare!

FOG

Oct 5, 2018
Sheffield UK
I tend to split my riding between short technical rides locally or at trail centres and long loops in Scotland. It's the long loops that worry me. I don't want to go flat on some remote Scottish track with another 20miles or so to do! The OTB incident I mentioned in my initial post happened at a Dalbeattie where I wouldn't need a spare but there is still the chance of an unplanned dismount anywhere when riding off road.

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
I use a similar pack to R120 only the BA3 E protect version. Got it for £125 off Amazon. It holds enough of gear to be used as a full day pack or to supplement a bar roll and seat pack when bike packing. As well as the bags main storage compartments and dividers, of which there are many, the pouch for helmet storage can also hold a fair sized dry bag which pretty much doubles the bags carrying capacity. The BA2 is the same but with a slightly smaller main bag capacity.

Whilst you can use foam or clothes to keep the battery in place in a normal backpack it either takes up a lot of your storage space or the battery will start moving about as soon as you need to put some of the clothes on to keep warm. I noticed a huge difference in how my back felt after 5-6 hrs with the Ergon vs. an older Camelback.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019
Wales

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Sorry for the bump ... how annoying is carry a battery there?

1.Plenty but there’s no other option
2.You notice it but you can live with it
3.Not really a big deal

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
I’ve got a spare 8010 battery and evoc e-bike pack. I take the spare on pretty much every ride these days and the extra fun from going further and/or faster far outweighs the weight of the pack. Biggest issue is I can’t wheelie so well with the weight of the pack on my back!

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
Sorry for the bump ... how annoying is carry a battery there?

1.Plenty but there’s no other option
2.You notice it but you can live with it
3.Not really a big deal

I have the evoc ebike pack, and carry my spare 625wh battery on pretty much every ride now "just in case".
I always ride with a pack anyway, but i really dont notice the added weight of the battery much at all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles