Canyon release 2022 EP8 ebikes - New Torque:ON and revised Spectral:ON

Brad Trent

Dec 12, 2020
New York City
Their website filters are really good ??

OK...I know that links says the 'Version 2.0 of the Spectral ON is 1kg lighter', but I think someone should tell Canyon to get it right, cuz the 2020 Spectral 7.0 with an E8000 and a 504wh battery tips the scales at 22.15kg and the 2021 model with the EP8 and a 630wh battery lumbers in at 23.22kg!!!

7.0.png

Last edited:

Brad Trent

Dec 12, 2020
New York City
@Brad Trent not sure what you are angry about fella but it’ll all be ok in the end I’m sure ??

My mistake...hit the Angry Face instead of my usual ?

But in any case, Canyon is doing a bit of wishful thinking if they claim the new Spectral is is 1kg lighter than the 2020 model. Even if you put the smaller 504wh battery in the thing, using their own weight of 23.22kg, it doesn't add up. The weight difference between the EP8 (2.57kg) and the E8000 (2.88kg) doesn't make up 1kg, and all the other parts spec out the same...so where did they come up with a kilo of weight savings?!! ?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
My mistake...hit the Angry Face instead of my usual ?

But in any case, Canyon is doing a bit of wishful thinking if they claim the new Spectral is is 1kg lighter than the 2020 model. Even if you put the smaller 504wh battery in the thing, using their own weight of 23.22kg, it doesn't add up. The weight difference between the EP8 (2.57kg) and the E8000 (2.88kg) doesn't make up 1kg, and all the other parts spec out the same...so where did they come up with a kilo of weight savings?!! ?

haha no drama. I assumed as much ??

looks like the marketing guys are at their creative best on that one ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
OK...I know that links says the 'Version 2.0 of the Spectral ON is 1kg lighter',
In their defence and to the credit of the marketing department ..

They clearly say it's 1kg lighter.

However, they don't actually say what it's 1kg lighter than ! You're just making the assumption that it's lighter than a similar Spectral ON.

Where as it's actually just 1kg lighter than if it was 1kg heavier. Genius.

Brad Trent

Dec 12, 2020
New York City
In their defence and to the credit of the marketing department ..

They clearly say it's 1kg lighter.

However, they don't actually say what it's 1kg lighter than ! You're just making the assumption that it's lighter than a similar Spectral ON.

Where as it's actually just 1kg lighter than if it was 1kg heavier. Genius.

Nah...I'm not willing to cut them that kinda slack. Saying your Version 2.0 bike is lighter implies it is lighter that Version 1.0.....and I've been in an OCD hole for an hour trying to add and subtract the new parts vs the old to arrive at their claimed weights and It just ain't working!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Nah...I'm not willing to cut them that kinda slack. Saying your Version 2.0 bike is lighter implies it is lighter that Version 1.0.....and I've been in an OCD hole for an hour trying to add and subtract the new parts vs the old to arrive at their claimed weights and It just ain't working!
Have you asked, I just went up on the link you posted at the top of this page with the 1kg comment and it flashed up with a box to "start a chat" ..

Brad Trent

Dec 12, 2020
New York City
Have you asked, I just went up on the link you posted at the top of this page with the 1kg comment and it flashed up with a box to "start a chat" ..

Ha! I just got into a 'Chat' with Canyon and they are claiming that link we added earlier is referring to the original Spectral ON Aluminium frame....

"...hey have confirmed that 'version 2.0' in that link would refer to the change from the AL to CF frame some time ago..."

They followed it up with this bit of glorious 'Marketing Speak'.....o_O

"...There is increased weight, but the low battery and centre of gravity means it is more ground hugging and playful....."

Yeah...cuz when I'm looking for 'playful' I immediately think of adding extra weight! ?

AND THEN...this ridiculous nugget!!! You can't use the lighter 504wh battery in the 2021 frame cuz they changed the battery mounts!!! WTAF?!! It will only take the larger, much heavier 630wh version!!!

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
AND THEN...this ridiculous nugget!!! You can't use the lighter 504wh battery in the 2021 frame cuz they changed the battery mounts!!! WTAF?!! It will only take the larger, much heavier 630wh version!!!

This is normal for all bikes that use the internal 630wH batteries as the only dimension that changes is the length of the battery.

Would have been nice if Shimano had developed a spacer to make it fit in the larger mount but they didn't.

Gordon

Brad Trent

Dec 12, 2020
New York City
This is normal for all bikes that use the internal 630wH batteries as the only dimension that changes is the length of the battery.

Would have been nice if Shimano had developed a spacer to make it fit in the larger mount but they didn't.

Gordon
That's kinda my point. Canyon had a golden opportunity to offer the Spectral with a larger battery but still figure a way to slap the lighter 504wh version in the larger cavity in the downtube! You can't tell me that would have been impossible!

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
That's kinda my point. Canyon had a golden opportunity to offer the Spectral with a larger battery but still figure a way to slap the lighter 504wh version in the larger cavity in the downtube! You can't tell me that would have been impossible!

Personally, I agree with you. But I don't know Canyon's intent? Less weight. Less cost. A store room full of 504wH batteries.....

Gordon

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It would be interesting to know what percentage of these bikes are sold on some sort of finance package - is the whole thing proped up by cheap credit? Think of the car industry where I believe the majority of cars are now sold on finance and is why everyone and their mum seems to be driving round is some pimped out SUV these days

I do alright, but dropping 5k plus on a bike is still a massive outlay, one of my EMTB's I bought outright, the other on a 24 month 0% interest Paypal credit deal - if I was looking at buying a new bike right now its likely I would look to do it on an attractive credit deal rather than cash outright.

I am guessing whatever affordable amount a month on the never never is a more attractive proposition that 7k up front.

Brad Trent

Dec 12, 2020
New York City
A lot more options in the US now, right?

I liked the fem bike for the wife, but 29” wheels on a tiny frame?

Yeah...I see how you might think the women-specific Spectral is a 29er...since the specs on the Canyon site list 29” wheels front & rear...but I’m pretty sure that’s a mistake. If you blow up the main photo and zoom in on the rear tire, it’s most def 27.5“, so it’s the same mullet config as the regular bike.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I see that the Torque:ON is listed with the BT-E8035-L battery not the BT-E8035. This is the longer battery, so I wonder if that means you could buy the BT-E8036 and use it in the bike to give you 630w battery option?

Brad Trent

Dec 12, 2020
New York City
I see that the Torque:ON is listed with the BT-E8035-L battery not the BT-E8035. This is the longer battery, so I wonder if that means you could buy the BT-E8036 and use it in the bike to give you 630w battery option?

Since Canyon specifically said they designed the Torque around the 504wh battery for performance reasons, I doubt the 630 will fit in the downtube. Hell...Canyon says you can’t even use the 504 in the new Spectral ON, even though it’s down tube is large enough for the 630wh battery, so it’s obviously possible to drop the 504 in that cavity!

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Since Canyon specifically said they designed the Torque around the 504wh battery for performance reasons, I doubt the 630 will fit in the downtube. Hell...Canyon says you can’t even use the 504 in the new Spectral ON, even though it’s down tube is large enough for the 630wh battery, so it’s obviously possible to drop the 504 in that cavity!

Then why use the BT-E8035-L battery and not the shorter BT-E8035? The BT-E8035-L is an inch longer than just the standard 8035 model. The BT-E8035-L has the same case and dimensions as the 630w BT-E8036 battery if I'm not mistaken.

If you scroll down just a little you can see that it clearly states that the BT-E8035-L is the same size as the BT-E8036 and the Torque:ON is listed as using the BT-E8035-L. So unless that information is listed by Canyon incorrectly I see no reason why the larger 630w battery wouldn't fit and work.

Last edited:

Brad Trent

Dec 12, 2020
New York City
Then why use the BT-E8035-L battery and not the shorter BT-E8035? The BT-E8035-L is an inch longer than just the standard 8035 model. The BT-E8035-L has the same case and dimensions as the 630w BT-E8036 battery if I'm not mistaken.

If you scroll down just a little you can see that it clearly states that the BT-E8035-L is the same size as the BT-E8036 and the Torque:ON is listed as using the BT-E8035-L. So unless that information is listed by Canyon incorrectly I see no reason why the larger 630w battery wouldn't fit and work.

Beats me, but given the online criticism Canyon is getting for choosing to make the Torque a 504wh bike, if you could use the 630wh battery, they would have already said so.....?

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Why not let people spec their own battery(s) to suit them selves? I get its harder to plan for stockwise, but Canyon is meant to be a largest EU wholesale distributor of bike parts.

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
Why not let people spec their own battery(s) to suit them selves? I get its harder to plan for stockwise, but Canyon is meant to be a largest EU wholesale distributor of bike parts.
Because maybe, just maybe when they go through a design an development process, the factor in weight and position in on the frame and how it balances and handles. ?‍♂️

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Because maybe, just maybe when they go through a design an development process, the factor in weight and position in on the frame and how it balances and handles. ?‍♂️

considering how many other bikes are available with a 630w battery that still handle great and have good balance I think if that really is the case they need to go back to the drawing board.

with that said you would hope they would have designed it to use the longer 504w battery allowing the buyer the option to put a bigger 630w battery if they wanted too.

Last edited:

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
True but that doesn't stop people putting in 20inch wheels on their cars ?‍♀️

Canyon came out and said do not put a 29inch front wheel on the torque (source: some youtube review) but they didn't expressly forbid a 603. Given both batteries are the same size I think you'd be hard pressed so show that 0.8kg effecting balance and handling. Assuming the 603 and 504 are both 50:50 centre balanced and the 504 doesnt favour one end (ie with a large void spacer bosch/trek?). In fact I'd love to see a bike on some scales showing how weight distribution is effected by different batteries. @Rob Rides EMTB

I'd wager balance and handling is probably has a fair margin by necessity given all the different specs of the bikes in the range (cassettes, forks, bars, stems, tyres, wheels, mechs, mud guards).

I think its more a cost or kerb weight thing. If its a cost, allowing customers to upgrade at point of sell offers customers better value for money than 1day upgrades.

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
What I don't understand is that in euro, both new models (spectral and torque) cost almost 600 euros less than in SEK (Swedish crowns). And basically one euro with todays currency is 10 Swedish crowns, so lets say Spectral on for 4599€ should cost around 46 000 SEK. Or am I missing something?

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
What I don't understand is that in euro, both new models (spectral and torque) cost almost 600 euros less than in SEK (Swedish crowns). And basically one euro with todays currency is 10 Swedish crowns, so lets say Spectral on for 4599€ should cost around 46 000 SEK. Or am I missing something?
Canyon for some reason list at the exchange rate on a given day and keep it for the entire year regardless of exchange rate changes, I asked this question before wrt £ - €

flarvb

Jan 31, 2021
Netherlands
Canyon for some reason list at the exchange rate on a given day and keep it for the entire year regardless of exchange rate changes, I asked this question before wrt £ - €
They will lock-in (a substantial part) of their margin when they place their orders for frames/components for a specific production batch since they want to focus on selling bikes instead of watching fx markets.

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
Ok, so you Will pay the Old exchange rate even if it’s far too much? (Not that the bikes are that interesting longer with their outdated geo, but still pretty bad if that’s the case)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles