Cannondale Moterra 1,2,3 and SE

RiderOnTheStorm

Ok, I understand better now, thanks. I also found some information about this issue. See drawing below showing the bolts in question I think. According to bosch, these should be tightened at 13-15Nm by the bike manufacturer. I'll keep an eye on them 👀

boschcxmounts.jpeg

Last edited:

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
That's a good point. I have not had to get one yet as Bosch covered the first one under warranty and I am still waiting an answer on this the second motor however the key I think is to periodically check that bolts don't loosen which I am afraid probably means dropping the motor more than you would prefer and then you need a 25 mm security torx at 15 NM of torque in order to check it. It's a bit of a faff and it doesn't sound like many bikes suffer from this but am tending to think it depends quite a bit on how the bikes are being ridden and I don't think it's a consequence of pedal strikes

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Has anyone managed to fit a 36 teeth chain ring ? Does it make much difference ?
Wow not sure what tracks you would be riding to warrant a 36 even with a delimiter. Anyway not sure it would work as there is bugger all space between chainring and chainstay even with standard ring

Last edited:

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
I just tend to use the bottom 5 or 6 gears more, I hardly every use top of the cassette gears and because I run NX Cassette I think the bottoms gear is 11 teeth not 10 like on gx and above.

I just thought it might be a good idea as the smaller gears tend to wear out quicker and I’d would give me a more usable range of gears

I have not bought my bike anything for a while seemed like a good excuse to buy a nicer chain ring as still on original

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
I just tend to use the bottom 5 or 6 gears more, I hardly every use top gear and because I run NX Cassette I think the bottoms gear is 11teeth not 10 like on gx and above.

I just thought it might be a good idea as the smaller gears tend to wear out quicker and I’d would give me a more usable range of gears
Yes your theory makes some sense. The 10 is pretty hard on chains and itself anyway. However I still think you will be snookered by the chainstay

RiderOnTheStorm

@Ian986 what model/year do you have?

On my moterra neo 2 (2021), 10-52 cassette, I also decided to change my chainring from the original 34T to 36T. I fitted a 36T Sram x-sync 2 aluminum chainring.

The reason for this change was not to gain top speed, but to optimize my cassette usage and maintain straighter chain line.

With my riding and a 36T chainring, I'm now mostly using the cogs in the middle of the cassette. A more balanced use of the drivetrain. And no impact whatsoever on my climbing ability (52T was overkill for eMTBs anyway and rarely used).

Since the chainring is spider mounted (104 bcd) the install was fairly quick. I just took down the pedals.

With 36T, my chainstay / chainring clearance is 2-3 mm. A 38T chainring would not fit though and touch the chainstay.

Also going with 36T (from 34T) didn't require a chain extension. I could keep the current chain length.

From a riding experience, my top speed on 10x36 was not much increased. But I now use my cassette more efficiently.

In retrospective, going to 36T was a good upgrade for me.

Last edited:

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
I stand corrected I really thought the 36 would rub on chainstay. In your case the 36 makes perfect sense. For my riding a 34 coupled with an 11 50 cassette works pretty well.

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
Has anyone changed their stem from standard Cannondale one ?

Have not bought my bike anything for a while so thought I might upgrade it maybe carbon bars at same time ?

RiderOnTheStorm

Sorry I didn't have a chance to weigh the original stem and compare it to the new Hope Gravity I've upgraded to which weighs around 190g. I suspect the latter is slightly heavier.

But on the other hand, the gain was in rigidity (wider clamps, massive CNC T6 block) and in agility (shorter stem length, 0° rise). It felt better for my riding.

Pazman

Dec 8, 2022
Uk
Has anyone fitted a rear coil shock on their Moterra without issues? If so, which coil shock have you installed and what has your experience been so far?

I personnaly fitted a RS coil (pre 2023, no HBO) and it has been working well for me so far.
i was going to fit Rockshox super deluxe ultimate coil on mone, but due to my wieght I could not a stronge enough spring.
the shock would have fitted on the bike fine other wise

RiderOnTheStorm

Yep I was able to fit the Rockshox SDU Coil (pre 2023) on my Moterra 2 (2021), using a 600lbs spring to achieve a desired 25% sag (with 2 lockring turns).

So far, no issue. The non-steel RS shock shaft has not snapped at the eyelet (like others have experienced on similar yoke/linkage suspension geometries).

I also found that the 2023 version of the RS SDU coil shock would absolutely not fit and rub against the frame. It was a no go!

Last edited:

RiderOnTheStorm

From a design standpoint, I've been wondering how progressive (or linear) is the Moterra 1/2/3 (2019-2021) rear suspension geometry. And if in theory, a coil-sprung shock with linear compression would be better suited than an air shock (progressive by nature)?

Not finding much information about this, I came across the YT Capra rear geometry which looks similar to the Moterra's. See leverage ratio (orange plot) below from POV Trail.
leverageratio2.png

The chart shows a leverage ratio that is very progressive by design, so it would be much better suited for running a linear coil shock than an air shock. What are your thoughts about this?

Pazman

Dec 8, 2022
Uk
What about off set ? I cannot find any info on the old chain ring or bike about what off set chain ring i need .

Pazman

Dec 8, 2022
Uk
@Pazman can you share a pic of your chainring? I kept the original spider mount (which has the required offset) and just replaced the chain ring. Pretty quick job! Just had to remove the pedals.

It's has an FSA chain ring on , I tried the get just the outer chain ring but no luck . Did you use 104mm same brand ring

Pazman

Dec 8, 2022
Uk
I have just upgrade my forks to Zeb ultimate 170mm with 44mm off set .
original forks were Yari 150mm 51mm off set .
i did a good 22 mile ride on it today and it feels fantastic , i was a little worried i had change the geometry too much but it has improved it .

ctk371

Oct 10, 2022
Germany
Has anyone managed to fit a 36 teeth chain ring ? Does it make much difference ?
I also fitted the 36T X-Sync 2 and it works great. Was worried about the clearance but it works. Did not change spider or else. Chain length is also the same while I upgraded to the 10-52 GX.

It also is works on steep tracks and (sorry I dunno how to say it correctly) with 4400 meters of height in two days (Stoneman challenge).

ctk371

Oct 10, 2022
Germany
I have just upgrade my forks to Zeb ultimate 170mm with 44mm off set .
original forks were Yari 150mm 51mm off set .
i did a good 22 mile ride on it today and it feels fantastic , i was a little worried i had change the geometry too much but it has improved it .
I upgraded my Moterra with a 36 Factory and also the X2 and the Transfer. Yeah. I upgraded so much stuff which wasn’t necessary, but I don’t have any other hobbies 😅 But I love the design but been a bit unhappy while I can’t use the two holes for a fender at the end like the newer Moterras have.

Also the 36 has 44 offset. I don’t feel any difference maybe it’s a bit more agil for a bike like this :)

Pazman

Dec 8, 2022
Uk
@Pazman that sounds like a nice upgrade! 👍

My Moterra 2 came fitted with a Zeb 160mm (great forks BTW) which also has a 51mm offset.

Wondering, does the 44mm offset feel more responsive or agile when cornering or climbing? How is the bike's stability on fast downhills compared to the 51mm offset?

44mm offset is said to be more stable at speed due to larger Trail measurements , but less agile on cornering
it does feel more stable at speed but also feels more agile and playful , to me it feels better in every way .
the zebs will be partly the reason for sure ,but 44mm offset works better for me on my Xl frame .

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles