Cannondale Moterra 1,2,3 and SE

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
Anybody have trouble with the gear selection? I find I have to hold the gear selector over until the gear takes going up the cassette and then I can let go of it. Going down the cassette it also seems to take an age to settle. It’s always done it from new. I wonder if the tortuous route of the gear chain cable causes this ?
Did you get this sorted out ? every time I ride the bike I forget to check this but I was looking into upgrading front shifter to a GX one and I came across one which said the e bike version only lets you shift one gear at a time.

My Warped logic in the end instead of spending 40 on gear shifter spent ten time that and bought GX AXS upgrade kit which comes with a new shifter.

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
Did you get this sorted out ? every time I ride the bike I forget to check this but I was looking into upgrading front shifter to a GX one and I came across one which said the e bike version only lets you shift one gear at a time.

My Warped logic in the end instead of spending 40 on gear shifter spent ten time that and bought GX AXS upgrade kit which comes with a new shifter.

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
No I havnt sorted it 100 per cent . I’ve been recovering from an op then the winter arrived. It’s on the list. My view is the tortuous route the control cable goes which is causing the problem. An electric durailuer could be a solution , albeit expensive. I think it needs a super slippy control cable tbh. I also though of buying the super duper geared hub.

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
No I havnt sorted it 100 per cent . I’ve been recovering from an op then the winter arrived. It’s on the list. My view is the tortuous route the control cable goes which is causing the problem. An electric durailuer could be a solution , albeit expensive. I think it needs a super slippy control cable tbh. I also though of buying the super duper geared hub.
When my rear mech was upgraded they changed the cable inner too.

are you sure your rear mech is not out of line as that would make it hard to change gears too

I got the AXS kit for a steal not sure if I am allowed to post here but was only 396 inc shipping. If you buy a new rear mech and cable going to cost over 100 might as well pay another 300 and no more hassle with cables and hopefully will tidy up the cable jumble at the front too.

Elsketcho

Jun 13, 2020
Bettsyw7nw10
I’ll second the AXS route. I’ve had one since SRAM released them as i have a dislike for cables and it is great. The price is a bit strong but in my opinion worth it.
I’ve got the XO1 which is expensive but the only difference between that and the newer GX is the weight and only by 64 grams and you can get them for £300.

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
I’ll second the AXS route. I’ve had one since SRAM released them as i have a dislike for cables and it is great. The price is a bit strong but in my opinion worth it.
I’ve got the XO1 which is expensive but the only difference between that and the newer GX is the weight and only by 64 grams and you can get them for £300.
Can you get spares for them ? Any links pls?

Elsketcho

Jun 13, 2020
Bettsyw7nw10
Dont know about spares, think you can get them. There’s a company I follow on instagram called HOPP Carbon Parts that make loads of carbon bits for AXS derailleurs so if you really want to go weight watchers you could replace bits to make it lighter.

this is the cheapest I’ve found after a quick search, but there were cheaper on EBay.

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
Dunno, the jury’s out on this one. I’m hedging towards a hub drive, im not sure wether this unit will survive the rigours of a emtb trudging through the mud . Yet another battery to charge and monitor , another possibility of a bad connection. Dunno…..

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
I have fully joined the upgrade train now
list of upgrades
Zeb ultimate
Hope Fortus 30
Michelin tyres only because like graphics on side and as I was going tubeless I decided to put new tyres as old DHR was getting warn out
Rock Shox Meg Neg can
SRAM Code RSC
Sram HS2 Brake Discs
AXS GX rear Mech
Rock Shox AXS Dropper post

Next week getting Kiox and Ergon seat

E2EF1A03-B724-4EB7-8F02-16AAFFE40997.jpeg

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
I have fully joined the upgrade train now
list of upgrades
Zeb ultimate
Hope Fortus 30
Michelin tyres only because like graphics on side and as I was going tubeless I decided to put new tyres as old DHR was getting warn out
Rock Shox Meg Neg can
SRAM Code RSC
Sram HS2 Brake Discs
AXS GX rear Mech
Rock Shox AXS Dropper post

Next week getting Kiox and Ergon seat

View attachment 81564
Ive got the ergon seat, quite pleased with that.Its a e bike specific seat i bought.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Hi
I have mulleted my 2020 moterra 1 and am loving the slacker HA and the liveliness and quick turning of the rear end but I am totally unimpressed that bosch and or cannondale will not allow the software to be updated to reflect the actual wheel size. My Kiox speed is about 3 kph faster than my actual speed as recorded by garmin and consequently the speed limiter cuts out way early. I am really pissed at this. I am reluctant to use a delimiter because i believe they invariable fail

kbass24emtp

Dec 27, 2019
St. Louis
Hi
I have mulleted my 2020 moterra 1 and am loving the slacker HA and the liveliness and quick turning of the rear end but I am totally unimpressed that bosch and or cannondale will not allow the software to be updated to reflect the actual wheel size. My Kiox speed is about 3 kph faster than my actual speed as recorded by garmin and consequently the speed limiter cuts out way early. I am really pissed at this. I am reluctant to use a delimiter because i believe they invariable fail
You can adjust the circumference of the wheel with the Kiox, not sure how small it will go down. I adjusted mine to fit my tires I am using. It’s under settings.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
You can adjust the circumference of the wheel with the Kiox, not sure how small it will go down. I adjusted mine to fit my tires I am using. It’s under settings.
Thanks but unfortunately even with a 2.8 tyre the setting won't allow you to even get close.
I get a bit more kickback on my Moterra than I do on my zerode

kbass24emtp

Dec 27, 2019
St. Louis
Thanks but unfortunately even with a 2.8 tyre the setting won't allow you to even get close.
I get a bit more kickback on my Moterra than I do on my zerode
I did some more investigating on this, my Kiox will allow me to adjust the circumference all the way down to 2225mm (87.59 inches). If I decided to mullet mine the tire I would be using is a Schwalbe Eddy Current 27.5x2.6 with an ETRTO 65-584 that calculates to 2287mm or 90.03 inches well within the range of my Kiox circumference changing ability. I know in the USA we have different software than yours across the pond. Here is a web site that can help you calculate ETRTO to mm. Drive. Good luck and hope this helps you out some.

ctk371

Oct 10, 2022
Germany
Moterra Neo 3 here (2020), looking for an opportunity to „upgrade“ from the 34T to 36T and some 165mm cranks.

Any suggestions or did someone put on a 36T? As insane there’s not much room on the moterra while on the new 2022 there’s a bit more space.

I can’t dm so I saw a Thread with some Hope 36T fitting exactly with little room and I’m still interested if it’s possible to upgrade.

kbass24emtp

Dec 27, 2019
St. Louis
No idea if 36 will fit. I have 165mm cranks on mine. Get quite a few pedal strikes with them. I prefer 155mm cranks. The Hope Ebike cranks are really nice.

ctk371

Oct 10, 2022
Germany
Yeah. I’d like the cranks a bit longer. I mean 170 should be ok but I think I like the 165! Would be great with the 36T ring…

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Yeah. I’d like the cranks a bit longer. I mean 170 should be ok but I think I like the 165! Would be great with the 36T ring…
Hmm. I have not heard of anyone going back to longer cranks after trying shorter. I am on 160s but I am sure I would be happy on 155s maybe even 150s. I would have to experiment a bit to find out where my too short cutoff is

RiderOnTheStorm

I'm riding a Moterra Neo Carbon. Fun bike to ride, really enjoying it. I also made a few upgrades.
I kept the base platform: carbon frame (great geometry and design), ZEB 160mm fork, and the powerful Bosch CX Gen4 (non Smart) motor, 625Wh battery and minimalist Purion display

Last edited:

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
I'm riding a Moterra Neo Carbon 2 (silver) which I bought in 2021. Fun bike to ride, really enjoying it. Fitted a Rockshox coil MM320 tune, DT Swiss HX 1700 wheels 35mm with 350 hub, 36T Sram alu chainring, raceface aero 160mm cranks, hope gravity 50mm stem, MTX red label brake pads, carbon handlebars, schwalbe Eddy current tyres, and the list goes on...
Yeah they are a great bike. Brilliant frame and suspension design well worth modifying to suit your particular riding style. Your upgrades sound well thought out. Good choice of wheels. Keep an eye on the internal motor mounts I have just broken a 2nd one and they are known to come loose. It's a Bosch issue and probably requires a new motor if you snap one off

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
There are two alloy mounting brackets attached with 5 mm bolts on each side tat the top of the motor and the main motor bolts are fastened into that bracket. It's the 5mm bolts that can loosen and if you are not careful they can break. Unfortunately you need to drop the motor in order to check that they are not loosening

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles