Levo Gen 3 Can System Lock be defeated?

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
I have read about System Lock feature in the new MasterMind display, but I've found very little information other than high-level what it does and how to set it up.
Does anyone know how fool-proof the technology is? (ie, does it actually brick the bike? or is there a workaround? proven/tested?)
I've read about Vanmoof bikes' security, but from what I understand they still get stolen, though it's unclear to me if they are just 'regular' bikes (ie 'bricked') at that point due to the security.

I'd like to learn more because to me a fool-proof security system would be a reason to upgrade. and yes, I already use the best kryptonite and hiplock locks even in my garage.

Ballantin

Oct 12, 2022
Milton Keynes, UK
I would not rely on it as a sole protection for my bike. Locks, as many as possible, keeping it under sight, a tracker and insurance is, in my opinion, the way to go.

If you want to know how to defeat/deactivate the system, then you are not going to get any answers here.
If you really want to upgrade on security invest in a tracker. The kind that is installed inside the motor cavity.

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
yep, as mentioned I use locks (gold and diamond rated), even inside my garage.

I disagree with your point on a tracker. Trackers can be removed, just like my airtag can be removed.

I've thought a lot about ebike security and had considered building a tracker with some ebike features, but ultimately decided that while my design would be pretty good, it could be defeated, and that only the manufacturer could provide true security, as a tracker and/or motor lock would have to be embedded in an IC on the motor, and need to be tied to a solid process for ownership transition. So I dropped the idea.

And lo and behold a year later Specialized announces System Lock! :) However, there's not a lot of info on it so I'm super curious if System Lock is 'the real deal' or just a toy.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
System lock only locks engine operation. When it is on, the engine cannot be started without the pin code.
It does not prevent a stupid thief, the bike can still be carried or even ride away (with unusable motor).

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Your best security is to not let the bike out of your sight, as mentioned above. Also mentioned above is once a lock is cut they can just toss it in the van etc and it's gone. Sure I have an airtag on my two ebikes for added security but if it's swiped what am I going to do track it down on foot? Even if it is located the with my iphone if they are bold enough to steal it they are probably bold enough to stab or shoot me too. Would the police have me drive around in their patrol car trying to locate the air tag . . . I think not! In the U.S. most of the liberal run cities . . . a thief might be caught and arrested and then the liberal judges put them back out on the street the same night.

Best defense is #1 never let it out of your sight. #2 insurance, but not always available depending where you live. I pay I think $180 a year (cheap) on my $7,000 investment. #3 Of course, a lock, so they just can't grab it on the run. I have an Air tag on each bike too. If stored in a garage. . . sink a shackle or hook into the ground and keep it locked at all times in hopes to slow them down. Install a security system with cameras (I use Amazon's Blink camera system . . cheap). My monitored system (Simplisafe, also cheap) (plus $30 a month) contacts the police during a break in and the cameras send alerts and pics to my iphone with any movement. #4 get an aggressive dog for home protectiion.

Also as mentioned above, asking how to defeat any security system on a forum where we all love our bikes and hate scum sucking lowlife thieves is the same as asking for instructions from us on how to rob a bank!

Last edited:

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Also as mentioned above, asking how to defeat any security system on a forum where we all love our bikes and hate scum sucking lowlife thieves is the same as asking for instructions from us on how to rob a bank!

To be fair, he hasn't asked 'how to defeat it' - he's asking if anyone knows if it can be defeated!

I never leave my bike anywhere out of sight or unlocked. The only thing I'm guilty of is leaving it on the bike rack on the back of my car whilst I get petrol sometimes. The bike is locked to the rack, and a petrol station probably has more security cameras per square foot than most banks!!

It'd be interesting to know how effective the Mastermind TCU lock is though. Can someone simply fit a new TCU and the bike is usable again, or does it somehow manage to paralyse the motor too?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
How do you tell the difference between a stupid thief and just a frustrated owner heading back to the bike shop for a Brose motor exchange ?
Do you mean that the owner has forgotten the pin code? And that's why the engine needs to be replaced.
The pin code is stored on the Specialized website. If the owner has forgotten the login credentials, then he is as stupid as the thief

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
how effective the Mastermind TCU lock is though. Can someone simply fit a new TCU and the bike is usable again,
This is all I'm asking really.

I've tried (maybe not hard enough) to be clear that I lock my bikes with gold/diamond rated locks, garage them, airtag them... I have a dog who sounds ferocious but he's a big baby. I have cameras and motion detectors.

I'm just trying to figure out how robust System Lock is and if Spech has an anti-fraud process in place.
EMTB is my go-to place for info, but maybe @Expidia is right this is the wrong place to ask.

Anybody have a good contact at Specialized you can introduce me to?

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York

I've tried (maybe not hard enough) to be clear that I lock my bikes with gold/diamond rated locks, garage them, airtag them... I have a dog who sounds ferocious but he's a big baby. I have cameras and motion detectors.

I'm just trying to figure out how robust System Lock is and if Spech has an anti-fraud process in place.
EMTB is my go-to place for info, but maybe @Expidia is right this is the wrong place to ask.

Just call their C/S as the top ebike names all have good customer service as they know we are all repeat buyers!
But now I see you were looking for a good contact. Sorry I missed that.

Last edited:

Ballantin

Oct 12, 2022
Milton Keynes, UK

A new TCU will probably make the bike to work again. Don't have a spare one to test....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles