Eagle AXS system on 2019 Levo?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Another thing to check is that the firmware is up to date on your AXS components. Download the AXS app to check / update.

My LBS said that the reason mine wasn’t shifting smooth on my Rail was that the firmware needed updated. Not sure if this was just an excuse for them not setting it up right in the first place, or it was actually an issue ?

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
AXS has been flawless on my Levo so far. The shifting is precise and consistent. I try to always pre- shift before a hill so I don’t shift under load. You will really enjoy it. View attachment 30651
I have the same bike and I’m looking to go AXS, did you change your chainring from the stock 32t, will it fit the new 12sp chain. I’m looking at new eagle cassette, shifter, chain, just not sure if the chainring will be compatible.

Martin DH

Apr 27, 2020
Berkeley, California
I have the same bike and I’m looking to go AXS, did you change your chainring from the stock 32t, will it fit the new 12sp chain. I’m looking at new eagle cassette, shifter, chain, just not sure if the chainring will be compatible.
The chainring will fit if you leave the stock 32T or even if you change it for the proper one. I changed for 36T (Praxis, steel, wave technology) and fits just fine. I highly recommend going for a larger chainring since you'll have the 50T cog of the eagle cassette for climbing, but you'll also gain top speed with a larger chainring, and its just 4 screws and $20.
Regarding the cassette, if you change to eagle you have to see if the freehub that you have is the shimano or the XD. If its XD then you'll have no problems, but if you have the Shimano HG then the only eagle cassette that will fit is the Sram PG-1230 NX, which is the only one degined to fit the Shimano HG freehub. I think your model of Levo comes with the XD though.
The chain has to be the eagle 12 sp chain, of course.

babarnicle

Nov 9, 2019
Usa

I changed to a 30T Eagle 12 speed chainring yes. But the stock 32T should work as well.
Here in Colorado, we have speed long climbs that last hours. So the 30t with the 12 speed Eagle cassette has amazing shift range. I rarely use the smallest three cogs on my cassette.

Viper9559

Apr 14, 2020
Monterey, CA
I have the full kit on my 2019 S-works and its great, however, unless you want to climb vertical faces (and the gap between ratios is too wide) I would change the front to an extra 2 or 4 teeth.
Did you plug the hole in the swing arm that is lef
AXS can now be purchased separately. So you can buy just the derailleur and shifter. But you will also need a 12 speed eagle cassette. GX Eagle cassette will work fine if you want to save Money.
I’m also running an eagle chainring sync 2 for smooth shifting.
I orderes the same chainring for my Levo but it is not threaded like the original. What did you use to install. Thanks

Flafyre

Jul 25, 2020
The chainring will fit if you leave the stock 32T or even if you change it for the proper one. I changed for 36T (Praxis, steel, wave technology) and fits just fine. I highly recommend going for a larger chainring since you'll have the 50T cog of the eagle cassette for climbing, but you'll also gain top speed with a larger chainring, and its just 4 screws and $20.
Regarding the cassette, if you change to eagle you have to see if the freehub that you have is the shimano or the XD. If its XD then you'll have no problems, but if you have the Shimano HG then the only eagle cassette that will fit is the Sram PG-1230 NX, which is the only one degined to fit the Shimano HG freehub. I think your model of Levo comes with the XD though.
Agreed i just updated with a 36T with Eagle AXS, alot more range use of cassette now

thumbnail (57).jpg

randycpu

Nov 15, 2018
Silicon Valley, USA
Ok so it was the derailleur hanger. I put the new one and everything worked perfectly. Not rocket science I guess...
Next time you don't need to replace the hanger, just adjust it using a Park Derailuer Hanger Alignment tool. Even a new hanger should be aligned properly for the best results.
I use the tool on all my bikes as the hangers seem to get bent quite frequently.

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
Next time you don't need to replace the hanger, just adjust it using a Park Derailuer Hanger Alignment tool. Even a new hanger should be aligned properly for the best results.
I use the tool on all my bikes as the hangers seem to get bent quite frequently.

Problem is, that tool is 90 euros. A new hanger 15. I've never bent a hanger in the last 5 years, so I have a hard time justifying buying that tool.

AverageJoeMTB

Jan 24, 2019
Forest of Dean
Dragging up an old thread. Is there any reason the AXS GX won't work with another brand 12 speed cassette? I get they might not offer support but I can't see any reason it wouldn't work. I need a new derailure and I'm thinking of a cheeky upgrade.

Last edited:

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
I have a 2020 Levo Carbon Expert and in the specs for my bike, it says I have a 40T chainring. Would I need to change that?
Specs are...

Chainrings
40T
Crankset
Praxis forged M30, custom offset
Cassette
SRAM XG-1175, 11-speed, 10-42t

If I by the AXS GX upgrade kit (£370), I'll need a GX 12 Speed cassette and a GX 12 speed chain, is that right?

FlimFlam

Jan 30, 2020
South West England
Hey super_claret - Hope this helps!

I have a 2019 Levo Comp Carbon and run the following: (It has been running it faultlessly for over a year now)

AXS GX Upgrade Kit (Make sure you update the firmware!).
Praxis Works Praxis - CR - 104 BCD Wave Chain Ring 36T Black (PR-36-7001-STEEL) Had to move the chainguard up slightly to accommodate.
SRAM NX Eagle 12-Speed 11-50T Cassette.
SRAM GX Eagle 12-Speed Chain.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire

I have a 2019 Levo Comp Carbon and run the following: (It has been running it faultlessly for over a year now)

Praxis Works Praxis - CR - 104 BCD Wave Chain Ring 36T Black (PR-36-7001-STEEL) Had to move the chainguard up slightly to accommodate.
Thanks FlimFlam. Did you use the full 126 link chain or have to shorten it?

FlimFlam

Jan 30, 2020
South West England
Thanks FlimFlam. Did you use the full 126 link chain or have to shorten it?
I am sure I had to shorten it (not by much - but it was over a year ago). I ALWAYS use this Park Tools video as a guide for calculating chain length and it has never let me down on the many bikes i have owned and worked on. If you are unsure as how to measure the chain please watch this first :) - Just make sure you watch it all the way through.

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire

Ordered a GX AXS and now watching installation videos. One question...how did you set the B tension? Did you disconnect the shock or get someone to sit on the bike while you adjusted it?

FlimFlam

Jan 30, 2020
South West England
Either way works to be honest. I knew my rear shock psi so just let the air out, popped on the template, set the 'B Screw' and then pumped it back to the correct psi - it was the simplest to do as i would have had to get my mates to put rocks in their pockets to come up to my weight as they are all racing whippets and I like normal sized meals....

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Either way works to be honest. I knew my rear shock psi so just let the air out, popped on the template, set the 'B Screw' and then pumped it back to the correct psi - it was the simplest to do as i would have had to get my mates to put rocks in their pockets to come up to my weight as they are all racing whippets and I like normal sized meals....
Me too:)

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Just finished the installation and all seems to be running smoothly, although I need to test it properly off road but a bit wild here today. Only thing I cocked up was the chain sizing…hadn’t realised it had slipped off the large rear cog and I took too many links out. Used 2 power locks just to get it setup properly and have ordered another chain. I’m guessing it’s not good practice to ride with 2 power locks installed?

Did you plug the cable holes with anything or just tape them?

One other thing. I’m also about to fit some Hope Tech 4 V4 brakes and wondered if there was a bracket that would integrate the SRAM AXS shifter?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles