Other Can An Idiot Dismantle/ Reassemble A Kenevo?

uamvar

Aug 22, 2023
Scotland
Hello All

I have a brand new Kenevo that I will slowly be upgrading. I got a good deal on the price but the colour of they frame is really quite rancid IMO. I have a good powdercoaters closeby and am thinking of sending it for a respray. The only problem is that I am not mechanically minded and am wondering if I am actually capable of taking the thing apart and reassembling it - is taking the motor and wiring off a complex task that I am likely to make a mess of?

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
If you need to ask then yes, it's too complex for idiot. And you will also void warranty if resprayed ...

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
It’s a bike, not rocket science. Take pics as you disassemble it so you can refer back when you reassemble it. The only issues you may run into is brake bleeds and adjusting the shifting, it can be tricky if you’ve never done it before. You’ll need some decent tools and pick up some assembly lube and have at it.

Only downside, if you have it painted by a non-Specialized approved shop it will void the warranty on the frame.

uamvar

Aug 22, 2023
Scotland
It’s a bike, not rocket science. Take pics as you disassemble it so you can refer back when you reassemble it. The only issues you may run into is brake bleeds and adjusting the shifting, it can be tricky if you’ve never done it before. You’ll need some decent tools and pick up some assembly lube and have at it.

Only downside, if you have it painted by a non-Specialized approved shop it will void the warranty on the frame.
Ok thanks both! If it voids the warranty looks like I will have to buy some stickers then!

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
You will need to press out all the bearings and that requires a blind puller. it is also not the easies thing to do. then you need to press them in with a press set.
You will also need a torque wrench to put everything back together.

It's more involved they you are most likely prepared for. I helped my buddy prep his bike witch was striped and has a translucent blue powder coat. Look super cool.

uamvar

Aug 22, 2023
Scotland
Have decided to go for a DIY vinyl wrap instead. Camo so hopefully it will conceal many a mistake.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hello All

I have a brand new Kenevo that I will slowly be upgrading. I got a good deal on the price but the colour of they frame is really quite rancid IMO. I have a good powdercoaters closeby and am thinking of sending it for a respray. The only problem is that I am not mechanically minded and am wondering if I am actually capable of taking the thing apart and reassembling it - is taking the motor and wiring off a complex task that I am likely to make a mess of?

Sign of the times nowadays I'm afraid . My last 4 bikes before going electric I just bought frames and custom built them . 2014 the last one was a Nicolai . No special tools needed that I can remember. Headset put in with a lump of wood and hammer. Torque wrench or chain measuring tool not trending yet. Aye those were the days . I would argue that I don't do anything now on a bike that I couldn't do 20 years ago . I'm not really that mechanical to be honest. You would need a few special tòols for Ebike depending on what you are doing. Motor removal and fitting i have done twice on Levo no issues you need a crank puller if you want to take Crank Spider off but you shouldn't need that if only dropping it out.The wiring plugs have piddly little pins so take care , good eysight and lighting is a plus .Rant over . Enjoy your new bike

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Yeah, If you have to act then its too hard. Take it to the bike shop for them to pull down.

On a side note, I am concerned that powdercoating may impact the heat treatment of the alloy.

Here's what big AI thinks on the subject.

"According to some sources, powder coating can affect the heat treatment of 6061-T6 aluminum if the curing temperature and time are too high or too long. The optimal curing temperature for powder coating 6061-T6 aluminum is around 200°C for 10 minutes1. Higher temperatures or longer times can cause the aluminum to lose some of its strength and hardness, as well as increase the risk of outgassing and surface defects23. Therefore, it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and specifications when powder coating 6061-T6 aluminum."

So.... spray painting, though more expensive may be less risky that powdercoating.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The only problem is that I am not mechanically minded

Like the others have suggested, this might not be a good task for you at this time. However, we're all stupid before we get smart. If anyone tells you that they've never füçqęd anything up, either they're liars or they've never taken on any difficult problems.

With that said, maybe today is a good day to start on the path to becoming a competent bike mechanic. Pick a task that sounds appealing: service your headset, service your pedals, adjust your brakes, refine the setup of your cockpit... the options are limitless. Do these little tasks now, and you'll be familiar with them the next time you NEED to work on the bike.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Disclaimer - I am mechanically minded, with a history of working on track cars, bikes etc.

My opinion is that this isn’t rocket science and all you need are some key things-

Money - to buy the tools and equipment you need. Note this may be a lot more that paying someone to do this for you. However they will produce a lifetime of value and will eventually give you an ROI. This is something you need to weigh up. Bike tools can be very expensive as they need to work within really tight tolerances.

YouTube/reference manuals - so you can learn how to do things properly and also important things like torque specifications for each bolt. I have the Kenevo / Levo one if you want it.

Patience - never ever, ever force something on bikes. They are made of aluminium (in your case) and threads can be stripped with zero torque. If you do this you may get lucky with the use of a thread tap.

Time - take your time. Do not book your appointment in advance. It will make you rush towards a target date, this is when mistakes will occur.

Space - as above you don’t want you significant other pressurising you to clear the room you are working in. Make sure you have somewhere to work and store your bike, stand, parts and tools.

Camera/notes - as others have said build a reference of how things go back together or were fitted in the first place. I’ve attached an example of when I rebuilt my Kenevo from frame up where I couldn’t remember which internal cable routing port ended up.

IMG_8294.jpeg

My opinion - everyone needs to start somewhere. You don’t magically become a competent anything. It needs experience. Go for it.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Hello All

What color is it? Santa Cruz has made it a thing to push rancid colors. You just might be getting old! Get it wrapped as it will only increase the protection.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles